Can You Solve This Riddle?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Riddle
In summary, the conversation discusses a riddle that is difficult for adults to solve but easily answered by first graders. The riddle poses a question about something that is greater than God, more evil than the Devil, and needed by the rich but possessed by the poor. The conversation also includes a post by someone who accidentally gave away the answer and a discussion about whether they did so intentionally.
gravenewworld
Here is a riddle that 80% of the students at Princeton University could not solve but 90% of all first graders asked, replied with the answer in less than 5 minutes.

Q: What is greater than God, more evil than the Devil, rich people need it, the poor people have it, and if you eat it you will die?

If you have heard this riddle before, please don't post the answer right away.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've heard this one before, I posted the answer then saw what you wrote so I deleted the post.

Thats hard. I can think of nothing.

pikapika! said:
Thats hard. I can think of nothing.
Very naughty...you gave the answer away!

I'm sure he didn't mean to say 'nothing' as the answer - just an unfortunate choice of words?

Or, the more likely thing, he posted it as a subtle clue to anyone who doesn't know the answer.

1. What is a riddle?

A riddle is a type of puzzle or brain teaser that requires creative thinking and problem-solving skills to solve. It typically presents a question, statement, or scenario that seems confusing or contradictory and challenges the person to find the answer or meaning.

2. How do you solve a riddle?

There is no one definitive way to solve a riddle, as they can vary in style and difficulty. However, some general tips for solving riddles include carefully reading and analyzing the wording, looking for patterns or clues, and thinking outside the box. It may also help to break the riddle down into smaller parts and consider different perspectives.

3. Can anyone solve a riddle?

Yes, anyone can solve a riddle with the right approach and mindset. While some people may have a natural talent for solving riddles, it is a skill that can be developed and improved with practice and critical thinking. It is also important to remember that there is often more than one way to solve a riddle, so don't get discouraged if you don't find the answer right away.

4. Are riddles just for entertainment?

While riddles can be fun and entertaining, they also serve a purpose in exercising the mind and improving cognitive skills. They have been used throughout history as a form of entertainment, education, and even as a test of intelligence. Solving riddles can also be a great way to bond with friends and family and stimulate creative thinking.

5. Are there different types of riddles?

Yes, there are many different types of riddles, each with its own unique style and approach. Some common types include logic riddles, lateral thinking riddles, and wordplay riddles. There are also cultural and historical riddles that incorporate elements specific to a certain time period or region. Some riddles may even fall into multiple categories.