Prove Cone over Unit Circle Homeomorphic to Closed Unit Disc

In summary, this problem comes from trying to figure out a way to map a quotient space onto itself. The key was defining two auxiliary functions and proving that they were homeomorphisms. After that, it was just a matter of mapping the auxiliary functions onto each other and building the homeomorphism.
christoff

Homework Statement

This question comes out of "Introduction to Topology" by Mendelson, from the section on Identification Topologies.

Let D be the closed unit disc in R^2, so that the boundary, S, is the unit circle. Let [tex] C=S\times [0,1], [/tex] and [tex]
A=S \times \{1\} \subset C. [/tex] Prove that C/A is homeomorphic to D.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel as though the map [tex]
p:C/A \rightarrow D \\
p(x,y,z)=(x,y) [/tex]
should define a nice homeomorphism. It has an obvious inverse, but even proving that the forward one is continuous is proving to be a problem for me. This may be for lack of experience working with the identification topology on C/A, or maybe I'm taking the wrong approach here.

p is continuous iff for every δ open in D, [tex] p^{-1}(δ):=ψ[/tex] is open in C/A. A subset of C/A is open iff in turn,
[tex]
f^{-1}(ψ)\subset C
[/tex]
is open, where
[tex]
f:C\rightarrow C/A
[/tex] is defined by
[tex]
f|_{C-A}=id|_{C-A}\\
f(A)=(0,0,1).
[/tex]

So for the moment, the problem is: prove that [tex]f^{-1}(ψ)[/tex] is open.

I'm open to more elegant approaches, if you can get me started. I feel as though my approach might be too mechanical, to be honest. There must be a nicer way of doing this.

Physics news on Phys.org
wait, your title says cone over the unit circle (without the bottom I am assuming), but s^1x[0,1]/(s^1x{1}) would be a cylinder without a top?

To be clear, by C/A, I mean the quotient space obtained by identifying the subset A with a point (in this case, the point (0,0,1) ). Generally, what I've seen is the notation C/A is reserved for a quotient space, whereas C\A is the complement of A in C (also written C-A).

So in the context of this problem, C/A is a cone without a bottom, and C\A is a hollow, bottomless, topless cylinder which is missing the upper "lip".

Specifically, by C/A I mean the set [tex]C/A=(C-A)\cup (0,0,1) [/tex]
which is given a topology as follows: σ is open in C/A if and only if [tex]f^{-1}(σ)[/tex] is open in C, where the function f is defined as in my original post.

Thank you for the suggestion, tt. It wasn't exactly the same problem, but it pointed me in the right direction. In the event anybody ever needs help with this problem, I'll post an outline of the solution here.

The key was defining two auxillary functions; one to take the set C\A (the hollow bottomless, topless cylinder without the top lip) to the hollow bottomless cone without the "tip", and another one to then flatten the image into the punctured (at the origin) closed disc. This can be done with cylindrical coordinates, and a little bit of thinking about the geometry. These functions can both be proven to be homeomorphisms onto their images.

Finally, build the homeomorphism C/A->D by mapping C\A to the punctured disc by composing the aforementioned homeomorphisms, and sending a*, the image of the the 'quotiented-out' set A (in the space C/A, a*=μ(A), where μ is the quotient map), to the origin, 0, of the disc. Prove stuff.

Cheers.

What is a homeomorphism?

A homeomorphism is a type of continuous function that preserves the topological structure between two spaces. In simpler terms, it is a function that can be continuously deformed into another without tearing or gluing any points.

What is a unit circle?

A unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit and centered at the origin (0,0) on a Cartesian coordinate system. It is often used in mathematics and physics for its properties and symmetry.

What is a closed unit disc?

A closed unit disc is the two-dimensional shape enclosed by a unit circle. It includes all the points on the circle's circumference and within its boundaries. It is often represented as a filled-in circle on a graph or diagram.

How do you prove that the cone over a unit circle is homeomorphic to a closed unit disc?

To prove that the cone over a unit circle is homeomorphic to a closed unit disc, you can use the definition of a homeomorphism and show that there exist continuous functions between the two spaces that are inverses of each other. This can be done by constructing a mapping between the points on the cone and disc, and showing that it is continuous and bijective.

What is the significance of proving this homeomorphism?

Proving this homeomorphism allows us to understand the topological properties of the cone over a unit circle and the closed unit disc. It also allows us to use the properties and symmetries of the closed unit disc to better understand the cone over a unit circle and vice versa. This can be useful in various fields of mathematics and physics, such as in the study of surfaces and their deformations.