Graphing magnetic field of two magnets in 3d space

In summary: If so, maybe this is a good time to start with a simpler problem and build up from there?The starting point is your understanding of how magnetic fields interact. The usual method is to exploit the symmetry of the problem to simplify it. For instance, if the two magnets are pointing right at each other the system has cylindrical symmetry so changing to cylindrical coordinates with the z axis through the magnets simplifies the problem immensely. To find where the two fields cancel out - you need only write the equations for the field strength at each (x,y,z) point and find the minimum. Note: you also need the orientation and type of the magnets.We just need a general method. The two magnets can
cashflow
I never figured I would encounter a problem as hard as this. Basically, there are two magnets of varying strength at 2 different x, y, z coordinates. I need to come up with function(s) to graph the field in 3d space. Or, at least find the x,y,z point where the two fields cancel out (if they exist). I know I will need calc iii, but I have no idea where to begin with respect to this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you been asked to come up with a general method or do you have a specific problem?

The starting point is your understanding of how magnetic fields interact.

The usual method is to exploit the symmetry of the problem to simplify it. For instance, if the two magnets are pointing right at each other the system has cylindrical symmetry so changing to cylindrical coordinates with the z axis through the magnets simplifies the problem immensely.

To find where the two fields cancel out - you need only write the equations for the field strength at each (x,y,z) point and find the minimum. Note: you also need the orientation and type of the magnets.

We just need a general method. The two magnets can be at any location and any orientation (both known), and goal is to find out where the two fields cancel. Anyway, supposing the magnets are oriented towards one another, the problem becomes simple. However, what if one magnet has a 45 degree yaw and 12 degree pitch? The problem becomes confusing and I have no idea where to start... Any formulas I can use as a base to start? Thanks!

This is not for a school project.

Last edited by a moderator:
cashflow said:
I never figured I would encounter a problem as hard as this. Basically, there are two magnets of varying strength at 2 different x, y, z coordinates. I need to come up with function(s) to graph the field in 3d space. Or, at least find the x,y,z point where the two fields cancel out (if they exist). I know I will need calc iii, but I have no idea where to begin with respect to this problem.

cashflow said:
We just need a general method. The two magnets can be at any location and any orientation (both known), and goal is to find out where the two fields cancel. Anyway, supposing the magnets are oriented towards one another, the problem becomes simple. However, what if one magnet has a 45 degree yaw and 12 degree pitch? The problem becomes confusing and I have no idea where to start... Any formulas I can use as a base to start? Thanks!

This is not for a school project.

Have you considered getting simulation software like ANSYS?

http://www.ansys.com/Products/Simulation+Technology/Electromagnetics

For general solutions, you may need to simulate the geometries...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to suggest using a pole model for the magnets, since the setup is not envisaged to be dynamic ...

You have two vectors for each magnet: position and orientation. You can find the field due to each magnet separately OK? You can write an expression for the total field or potential (whichever you like) at some (x,y,z)?

Of course - this is quickly non-trivial.
Which is why we use computers a lot.

Thing is, I don't know what it is that you find "confusing" about this - is it just that the expressions get very complicated?

1. How do you graph the magnetic field of two magnets in 3d space?

To graph the magnetic field of two magnets in 3d space, you will need to use specialized software or a mathematical modeling program. First, you will need to input the strength and orientation of the two magnets into the program. Then, the program will calculate and display the resulting magnetic field lines in a 3d graph.

2. What factors affect the shape and strength of the magnetic field?

The shape and strength of the magnetic field are affected by several factors, including the strength and orientation of the magnets, the distance between them, and any surrounding materials that may affect the field. In addition, the shape of the magnets themselves can also have an impact on the magnetic field.

3. Can you graph the magnetic field of more than two magnets in 3d space?

Yes, it is possible to graph the magnetic field of more than two magnets in 3d space. However, as the number of magnets increases, the calculations become more complex and may require more advanced software or programming skills.

4. How can you use the graph of magnetic field to predict the behavior of the magnets?

The graph of magnetic field can provide valuable insights into the behavior of magnets. By analyzing the strength and direction of the magnetic field lines, you can determine how the magnets will interact with each other and with surrounding materials. This can help predict the movement and forces exerted by the magnets.

5. Are there any limitations to graphing the magnetic field of two magnets in 3d space?

One limitation of graphing the magnetic field of two magnets in 3d space is that it is a simplified representation of a complex phenomenon. The actual behavior of magnets may vary due to external factors and the inherent complexity of magnetic fields. Additionally, the accuracy of the graph may be limited by the accuracy of the input data and the assumptions made by the modeling program.