Partial fractions for a cubic root in the denominator of integrand

In summary: Thanks!In summary, SammyS suggests substituting u=\sqrt[3]{x+1} into the equation and using partial fractions. This allows for easier integration by breaking it up into three parts.
mllamontagne

Homework Statement

[itex]\int\frac{1}{x\sqrt[3]{x+1}}[/itex]dx (That's a cubic root in the denominator, by the way. Not an x cubed.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought possibly partial fractions, but I've never seen it done with a root in the denominator. Integration by parts was unsuccessful. Thanks so much if anyone can show me the steps for this. Must be able to broken up into several bits that integrate to logs or trig functions or something, but I can't seem to get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
mllamontagne said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\int\frac{1}{x\sqrt[3]{x+1}}[/itex]dx (That's a cubic root in the denominator, by the way. Not an x cubed.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought possibly partial fractions, but I've never seen it done with a root in the denominator. Integration by parts was unsuccessful. Thanks so much if anyone can show me the steps for this. Must be able to broken up into several bits that integrate to logs or trig functions or something, but I can't seem to get it.
Hello mllamontagne. Welcome to PF !

Try a substitution instead: perhaps [itex]u=\sqrt[3]{x+1}\ .[/itex]

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.
If I u substitute with u=[itex]\sqrt[3]{x+1}[/itex], I get
3∫[itex]\frac{u}{u^{3}-1}[/itex]du which admittedly looks better, but which I still can't figure out how to solve.

The method of "partial fractions" typically only works for rational functions- fractions with polynomials on top and bottom. Once you have made the substitution SammyS suggested, that is exactly what you have and you can use "partial fractions".
You know that [itex]x^3- 1= (x- 1)(x^2+ x+ 1)[/itex] don't you?

As you suggest, Partial fractions can be used to break up

3∫[itex]\frac{u}{(u-1)(u^{2}+u+1)}[/itex]du with u=[itex]\sqrt[3]{x+1}[/itex]

to ∫[itex]\frac{1}{u-1}[/itex]du +∫[itex]\frac{1}{u^{2}+u+1}[/itex] du -∫[itex]\frac{u}{u^{2}+u+1}[/itex] du

the first integral is a simple natural log, the second is and arctan, but now the third one gives me trouble. how would I accomplish the operation below?

∫[itex]\frac{u}{u^{2}+u+1}[/itex] du

mllamontagne said:
As you suggest, Partial fractions can be used to break up

3∫[itex]\frac{u}{(u-1)(u^{2}+u+1)}[/itex]du with u=[itex]\sqrt[3]{x+1}[/itex]

to ∫[itex]\frac{1}{u-1}[/itex]du +∫[itex]\frac{1}{u^{2}+u+1}[/itex] du -∫[itex]\frac{u}{u^{2}+u+1}[/itex] du

the first integral is a simple natural log, the second is and arctan, but now the third one gives me trouble. how would I accomplish the operation below?

∫[itex]\frac{u}{u^{2}+u+1}[/itex] du

Split up [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1-u}{u^{2}+u+1}[/itex] a bit differently.

If you have [itex]\displaystyle \frac{2u+1}{u^{2}+u+1}[/itex] then the numerator is the derivative of the denominator & you will have an anti-derivative which is a logarithm.

For the numerator, notice that

[itex]\displaystyle 1-u[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle
=1-\frac{1}{2}\left(2u+1-1\right)[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =1-\frac{1}{2}\left(2u+1\right)+\frac{1}{2}[/itex]​
etc.

SammyS, you are the best. That was exactly what I needed to do. I promise I will never forget how to do that integration again.

1. What is the purpose of using partial fractions for a cubic root in the denominator of an integrand?

The purpose of using partial fractions for a cubic root in the denominator of an integrand is to simplify the integration process. This allows for easier evaluation of the integral and can also help in finding the antiderivative.

2. How do you decompose a cubic root in the denominator of an integrand into partial fractions?

The process of decomposing a cubic root in the denominator of an integrand into partial fractions involves finding the roots of the denominator polynomial, writing the partial fraction in terms of the roots, and equating the coefficients of like powers of the variable in the numerator and denominator.

3. Can partial fractions be used to integrate any type of cubic root in the denominator of an integrand?

Yes, partial fractions can be used to integrate any type of cubic root in the denominator of an integrand. However, the process may vary slightly depending on the type of cubic root (e.g. simple, repeated, or complex roots).

4. Are there any limitations to using partial fractions for a cubic root in the denominator of an integrand?

One limitation of using partial fractions for a cubic root in the denominator of an integrand is that it can only be applied to rational functions. Additionally, the degree of the numerator must be less than the degree of the denominator for the decomposition to be possible.

5. Can partial fractions for a cubic root in the denominator of an integrand be used in real-life applications?

Yes, partial fractions for a cubic root in the denominator of an integrand can be used in real-life applications, particularly in engineering and physics problems that require the evaluation of integrals. It can also be used in the process of solving differential equations.