W boson-like particle from Higgs

In summary, the question is whether a virtual particle that is very similar to a W boson can be produced in a decay of a Higgs particle. The answer is yes, though the particle doesn't have to have the same mass, spin, or charge as the W boson.
tansic
Just a random question I thought of while daydreaming. Is it possible for a virtual particle that is not a W Boson, but is very like one (same mass, spin, etc.) to be produced from a Higgs decaying into two photons?

Higgs→λλ+disturbance in W field.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand the question.

Higgs→λλ+disturbance in W field.

This writing is misleading. There is no W boson (real or virtual) present in the final state. The final state consists of two photons and that's it.

The Virtual W (The disturbance in the W field, if that's what you mean) contributes to the decay amplitude (not the only contribution in the SM. The top quark also has a sizable contribution)

If your question is whether a particle similar to the W boson could also contribute to the decay amplitude, The answer is yes. A massive spin 1 charged particle would contribute, However there are no such particles in the SM except the W boson.

Would said W boson-like particle have to share the same charge and mass or just the spin of a W boson? And there would be an anti particle to accompany, correct?

Any particle which couples to the higgs (and thus gets mass from the higgs mechanism) and has electric charge would contribute.
It doesn't have to have the same mass, spin or charge as the W boson.
It Would have a distinct antiparticle as any electrically charged particle.

Ok, thank you for your replies.

Wait, I hear you saying that any charged particle can cause a disturbance in any particles field.

I'm still not sure what you mean by the word disturbance.

The fact that the particle is charged means that it can emit and absorb photons. This is required in order for the particle to mediate the [itex]h->\gamma\gamma[/itex] decay.

That that the particle is charged doesn't mean that it couples to every particle (or field)

W bosons for example don't couple to gluons

Ok, my bad I misunderstood.

And by 'disturbance' I mean a ripple in the W field suggesting a virtual W boson.

1. What is a "W boson-like particle"?

A "W boson-like particle" refers to a particle with similar properties to the W boson, which is an elementary particle that mediates the weak nuclear force. This means that it is responsible for interactions between subatomic particles that involve the exchange of energy and momentum.

2. How is the W boson-like particle related to the Higgs boson?

The W boson-like particle is related to the Higgs boson through the Higgs mechanism, which is a theoretical framework that explains how particles acquire mass. The Higgs boson is the particle that is responsible for this mechanism, and the W boson-like particle is one of the particles that interacts with the Higgs field to acquire mass.

3. What are the properties of the W boson-like particle?

The properties of the W boson-like particle are similar to those of the W boson, including its electric charge, spin, and interactions with other particles. However, it may have a different mass or other subtle differences due to its origin from the Higgs field.

4. How was the W boson-like particle discovered?

The W boson-like particle was not directly observed, but its existence was predicted through mathematical calculations based on the Higgs mechanism. The Higgs boson was discovered in 2012 by the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, providing evidence for the existence of the W boson-like particle.

5. What are the implications of the W boson-like particle for particle physics?

The discovery of the W boson-like particle provides further evidence for the validity of the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. It also helps to confirm the role of the Higgs mechanism in giving particles mass, and may lead to further insights into the nature of the universe and the fundamental forces that govern it.