How to calculate the solid angle of a cone with cone axis arbitrary?

In summary, the conversation discusses using spherical coordinates to calculate the solid angle of a cone with a vertical axis and apex at the origin. It also addresses how to set up the integration boundaries for a cone with a non-vertical axis. It is suggested that choosing a different coordinate system can make the calculation easier for non-axially symmetric shapes.
soljiang
I read that if the cone with apex angle 2α whose central axis is vertical, apex at the origin, then one can use spherical coordinate to calculate the solid angle of the cone

02∏0αsin[itex]\varphi[/itex]d[itex]\theta[/itex]d[itex]\varphi[/itex]

However, what if the central axis is align to y-axis horizontally, instead of z-axis.
My question is with angle 2α, if the central axis goes through (θ0, [itex]\varphi[/itex]0), then how to set the intragation boundaries? It should give the same answer but I need to now how to set up the equation. Can one still use spherical coordinate?

Thank you so much if I get some help.

Charles

Physics news on Phys.org
I would simply choose a different coordinate system, to have the same orientation (but in the new system) again. No need to make it more complicated than necessary.

So does it mean spherical coordinate is only useful for calculating shapes/surface that's axially symmetric about z axis but not about x or y axis?

If something is symmetric around a different axis, I would choose a different coordinate system - a symmetry around the z-axis (which you can define as you like) is easier to handle in spherical coordinates.

Hi, mfb, so it's true that if a shape is only symmetric about x or y axis, it's not easy to integrate the surface area using spherical coordinate, unless one redefine the orientation of coordinate. Is that correct? Thank you.

That depends on your definition of easy, but it is certainly easier with a different coordinate system.

1. What is a solid angle?

A solid angle is a measure of the amount of space or surface that a three-dimensional object takes up from a specific point in space. It is commonly measured in steradians (sr).

2. How is the solid angle of a cone calculated?

The solid angle of a cone can be calculated using the formula: solid angle = 2π(1-cosθ), where θ is the half-angle of the cone.

3. What is the half-angle of a cone?

The half-angle of a cone is the angle formed between the cone's axis and the edge of its base. It is typically denoted as θ in mathematical equations.

4. Can the solid angle of a cone with an arbitrary axis be calculated?

Yes, the solid angle of a cone with an arbitrary axis can be calculated using the same formula as a regular cone, as long as the half-angle is known.

5. How does the solid angle of a cone with an arbitrary axis compare to that of a regular cone?

The solid angle of a cone with an arbitrary axis may be greater or smaller than that of a regular cone, depending on the angle of the axis. In general, the solid angle will be larger as the axis moves closer to being parallel with the cone's base, and smaller as the axis moves closer to being perpendicular to the base.