Repeated Eigenvalue of a n=3 system of differential equations

In summary: This follows from the Jordan Canonical form, which is a matrix that can be used to simplify a complex matrix into a simpler form. The Jordan Canonical form is made up of Jordan blocks, which are square matrices with a repeated eigenvalue on the diagonal and 1's on the superdiagonal. In this case, we have a single Jordan block of size 3, which means that the matrix has a single eigenvalue of multiplicity 3. To solve the differential equation, we can use the matrix exponential and the Jordan Canonical form to find the three matrices E_1, E_2, and E_3. These matrices can then be used to solve the system using the function f(x) = e^{xt}.
tehdiddulator

Homework Statement

x' = \begin{pmatrix}0&1&3\\2&-1&2\\-1&0&-2\end{pmatrix}*x

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the repeated eigenvalues to be λ[itex]_{1,2,3}[/itex]=-1
I've also found the first (and only non zero eigenvector) to be \begin{pmatrix}1&2&-1\end{pmatrix}, but I'm not entirely sure where to go from here. Everything I've found talks about 2x2 matrices. Even looking around on MIT opencoursewares site, they say that its possible but is beyond the scope of that class...I did find some reference to using Jourdan Canonical form may possibly be used, but I don't remember him talking too much about that.

Physics news on Phys.org
tehdiddulator said:

Homework Statement

I've also found the first (and only non zero eigenvector) to be \begin{pmatrix}1&2&-1\end{pmatrix}, but I'm not entirely sure where to go from here. Everything I've found talks about 2x2 matrices. Even looking around on MIT opencoursewares site, they say that its possible but is beyond the scope of that class...I did find some reference to using Jourdan Canonical form may possibly be used, but I don't remember him talking too much about that.

That's Jordan.. Here's a wiki article about Jordan Normal Form. The section on generalized eigenvectors that might be of help.

tehdiddulator said:

Homework Statement

For a matrix A having a single eigenvalue ##r## of multiplicity 3 the analytic matrix function [tex]f(A) = c_0 I + c_1 A + c_2 A^2 + c_3 A^3 + \cdots [/tex] (corresponding to the ordinary analytic function ##f(x) = c_0 + c_1 x + c_2 x^2 + \cdots ##) is of the form
[tex] f(A) = E_1 f(r) + E_2 f'(r) + E_3 f''(r)[/tex] for some fixed matrices ##E_1, E_2, E_3## which are the same for all functions f. We can determine the ##E_1## by looking at special cases of f: for ##f(x) = x^0 = 1## we have ##f'x) = f''(x) = 0##, so ##I = A^0 = 1 E_1 + 0 E_2 + 0 E_3 = E_1##. For##f(x) = x## we have ##f'(x) = 1, f''(x) = 0## and so ##A = r E_1 + 1 E_2 ##. For ##f(x) = x^2## we have ##f'(x) = 2x, f''(x) = 2## and so ##A^2 = r^2 E_1 + 2r E_2 + 2 E_3.## Altogether, we have the three equations
[tex] E_1 = I\\
r E_1 + E_2 = A\\
r^2 E_1 + 2r E_2 + 2E_3 = A^2.[/tex]
Once we have the ##E_i## we can solve the differential equation system using the matrix exponential ##M(t) = e^{At}##. This will have the form
[tex] M(t) = e^{rt} E_1 + t e^{rt} E_2 + t^2 e^{rt} E_3,[/tex]
obtained from the function ##f(x) = e^{xt}.##

This all follows by looking at the Jordan Canonical Form. Note, however, that the discussion above applies equally whether the matrix has a diagonal Jordan form, or one block of size 1 and one of size 2, or a single Jordan block of size 3; those separate cases will just correspond to situations in which some ##E_i## are zero. For example, if A were diagonalizable but with a single eigenvalue r of multiplicity 3, we would just have ##E_2 = E_3 = 0##.

tehdiddulator said:

Homework Statement

For a matrix A having a single eigenvalue ##r## of multiplicity 3 the analytic matrix function [tex]f(A) = c_0 I + c_1 A + c_2 A^2 + c_3 A^3 + \cdots [/tex] (corresponding to the ordinary analytic function ##f(x) = c_0 + c_1 x + c_2 x^2 + \cdots ##) is of the form
[tex] f(A) = E_1 f(r) + E_2 f'(r) + E_3 f''(r)[/tex] for some fixed matrices ##E_1, E_2, E_3## which a re the same for all functions f. We can determine the ##E_1## by looking at special cases of f: for ##f(x) = x^0 = 1## we have ##f'x) = f''(x) = 0##, so ##I = A^0 = 1 E_1 + 0 E_2 + 0 E_3 = E_1##. For##f(x) = x## we have ##f'(x) = 1, f''(x) = 0## and so ##A = r E_1 + 1 E_2 ##. For ##f(x) = x^2## we have ##f'(x) = 2x, f''(x) = 2## and so ##A^2 = r^2 E_1 + 2r E_2 + 2 E_3.## Altogether, we have the three equations
[tex] E_1 = I\\
r E_1 + E_2 = A\\
r^2 E_1 + 2r E_2 + 2E_3 = A^2.[/tex]
Once we have the ##E_i## we can solve the differential equation system using the matrix exponential ##M(t) = e^{At}##. This will have the form
[tex] M(t) = e^{rt} E_1 + t e^{rt} E_2 + t^2 e^{rt} E_3,[/tex]
obtained from the function ##f(x) = e^{xt}.##

1. What is a repeated eigenvalue in a system of differential equations?

A repeated eigenvalue in a system of differential equations refers to an eigenvalue that has a multiplicity greater than one, meaning it appears more than once in the characteristic equation of the system.

2. How does a repeated eigenvalue affect the solutions to a system of differential equations?

A repeated eigenvalue can lead to repeated solutions or linearly dependent solutions, making it more difficult to determine the general solution to the system of differential equations.

3. Can a system of differential equations have multiple repeated eigenvalues?

Yes, it is possible for a system of differential equations to have multiple repeated eigenvalues, depending on the nature of the system and its corresponding characteristic equation.

4. How can we determine the general solution to a system of differential equations with a repeated eigenvalue?

To determine the general solution to a system of differential equations with a repeated eigenvalue, we can use the method of reduction of order, where we introduce a new variable to reduce the order of the system and then solve for the remaining variables.

5. Are repeated eigenvalues always a problem in solving a system of differential equations?

No, repeated eigenvalues are not always a problem in solving a system of differential equations. In certain cases, they can simplify the solution process, especially if the system is homogeneous and has a repeated eigenvalue of zero.