Why doesn't my air vacuum device work?

In summary, the individual is trying to use compressed air from a can to pressurize a different container while also collecting particles from the ambient air. However, they are having difficulties with the process and are unsure of why it is not working. They mention trying it with a can of compressed air and a gallon of milk, but the "sucking" effect did not occur. They believe this is due to the pressure in the new container being higher than the ambient pressure, and without valves their idea may not work. They mention that their device is based on the atomizers of perfume bottles and they are not sure what they are missing. They also note that there was water in the gallon of milk container when they tried this. They ask for
GreenAce92
I think I sort of know the answer but I'm still wondering how I can achieve what I want to achieve.

I basically want to use the stored 'work' in the compressed air can to pressurize a different container and while doing so, taking in particulates from the ambient air to be contained into the new container.

I tried this with a can of compressed air computer cleaner (flurocarbons) and a container of a gallon of milk, the pressurization was fine but the 'sucking' did not occur.

I believe it is because the pressure in the new container is more than the ambient pressure, also without valves perhaps my idea has no hope of working...

This device is based on the atomizers of perfume bottles...what am I not understanding?

The secondary container (gallon of milk) is not equal to the compressed air can pressure, even starting from the beginning (ambient pressure in milk container) and starting the pressurization process, there is no 'vacuum effect' noticeable on the end of the perpendicular tube relative to the parallel high velocity flow... why? WHY! WHY!

When I tried this, there was some water in the gallon of milk container.

Anyway, I'd appreciate the help.

Attachments

• depiction.jpg
    depiction.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know why your device does not work. But you should be able to enhance the sucking effect by making the gas flow faster, for example by decreasing the cross-section of the pipe in the place where the liquid enters. Also, if the final container is closed, you may need greater pressure in source to be able to compress the resulting aerosol into the container.

You are correct: the venturi effect makes the static pressure at the "ambient air" opening lower than in the tube from the compressed air can to the container, but it is probably still higher than atmospheric pressure.

1. Why is my air vacuum device not picking up any dirt?

There could be several reasons for this. First, make sure that the device is properly plugged in and turned on. If it is, then check the suction power setting and make sure it is set to the highest level. Additionally, check the air filters to see if they are clogged and need to be cleaned or replaced. Finally, check the vacuum head and hose for any blockages that may be preventing the device from picking up dirt.

2. Why is my air vacuum device losing suction power over time?

This could be due to a clogged filter or a full dust bin. Make sure to regularly clean or replace the air filters and empty the dust bin when it is full. Another common cause could be a worn out vacuum belt, which should be replaced every 6-12 months depending on usage.

3. Why is my air vacuum device making strange noises?

This could be a sign of a loose or broken part within the device. Check the vacuum head and hose for any cracks or damage, and make sure they are securely attached to the main body. If the strange noises persist, it is best to take the device to a professional for further inspection and repair.

4. Why is my air vacuum device emitting a strange odor?

If the device is emitting a burning odor, it could be due to a worn out vacuum belt or motor. In this case, it is best to turn off the device and have it inspected by a professional. If the odor is more of a musty smell, it could be due to a clogged filter or a dirty dust bin. Make sure to clean or replace the filter and empty the dust bin to get rid of the odor.

5. Why is my air vacuum device not turning on at all?

First, make sure that the device is properly plugged in and the power switch is turned on. If it still does not turn on, check the power outlet to see if it is working. If the outlet is working, then there may be an issue with the device's internal wiring or motor. In this case, it is best to take the device to a professional for repair.