What social media sites do you use?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Social media
In summary: I think that social media is a great way to stay connected with friends and family, but I don't think that it's necessary for me to have a Facebook or Twitter account.

What social media sites do you use the most? Top three.

• Facebook

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Google+

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Twitter

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • LinkedIN

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Reddit

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • StumbleUpon

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Pinterest

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Which do you use the most? Multiple choice, pick your top three.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have fake accounts for a couple, a semi fake one for another and I don't actually use any. (this is where jhae, if he wasn't away in rocket surgeon training, would call me a luddite)

Evo said:
I have fake accounts for a couple, a semi fake one for another and I don't actually use any. (this is where jhae, if he wasn't away in rocket surgeon training, would call me a luddite)

Why make fake accounts though?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I created a FB account for PF to "like" you.

A google plus for you.

linkedin at the requests of friends that wanted to add me to their network.

Poop. I didn't see it was multiple choice.

Add one for me for the "Linked In" please.

---------------------
Though for the longest time, I thought it meant "Linked Natural Log"...
Yes. I am not very smart...

Last edited:
I have and use Facebook but I very much regret making it now knowing that they keep every single message you ever sent and receive on file, you can never 100% delete your account and all your messages, status updates and personal information is kept.

I have no accounts. My social media is PF.

I used to have a Facebook account, but after years of stasis I decided to delete it. While it is a good tool for keeping up with old friends, I found that I was too much of a recluse to do even that, and remaining on a website on which nothing is happening is, I would say, counter-productive. If you were to ask me why I did that for a significant length of time, I wouldn't be able to give you an answer.

I use facebook but very rarely.Don't use any other.

I look at facebook, very rarely post there. Does that count as "use"?

Why is reddit a social media site?

x2791258 said:
Why is reddit a social media site?

"Social media refers to the means of interactions among people in which they create, share, and exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and networks"

PF is a social media site too.

I participate in a handful of specialized online discussion forums for various topics. One of them is PF, of course. I don't use any general social-networking sites like the ones listed in the poll.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
"Social media refers to the means of interactions among people in which they create, share, and exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and networks"

PF is a social media site too.

So pretty much any site is a social media, even news sites

x2791258 said:
So pretty much any site is a social media, even news sites

New sites may have social media elements, but their still a news site.

Where's the option for "none" ?

None myself.

LinkedIN I've never found useful for anything, beside keeping track of my CV. Twitter I only use to complain to companies, because they provide instant high-quality customer care (opposed to calling or e-mailing them) :biggrin:

I thought Reddit would be a bit higher. I was interested in this for what share buttons to add. thanks all!

Greg Bernhardt said:

Well, I have a fake FB account (using a "nom de guerre") in order to easily login to one of the gazillion places that allow FB logins - say to post a comment on a news article. Otherwise, I'd have to go through the hassle of registering specifically on the site.

I held off for the longest time then sometime a couple of years back, I finally created an FB account with my real name. Almost immediately, I got inundated with "friend" requests. In less than a week, I deleted the account. It was after this that I created the fake account, which allows me to get little things done, but maintain my privacy and peace of mind.

1. What is the most popular social media site?

The most popular social media site is currently Facebook, with over 2.7 billion monthly active users as of 2021.

2. Are there any social media sites specifically for professionals?

Yes, LinkedIn is a social media site specifically designed for professionals to network, connect, and showcase their work experience and skills.

3. What are some popular social media sites for visual content?

Instagram and Pinterest are popular social media sites for visual content, with a focus on photos and images.

4. Can you explain the difference between a social media site and a social networking site?

A social media site is a platform for individuals to share and consume content, while a social networking site is more focused on connecting and communicating with others. Examples of social media sites include Facebook and Twitter, while LinkedIn and Meetup are examples of social networking sites.

5. Are there any social media sites that prioritize privacy and security?

Yes, social media sites such as Signal and Telegram are known for their strong encryption and focus on user privacy. Additionally, Facebook has recently introduced new privacy features for its users.