Show two unique points lie on a unique line.

In summary, given two unique points (a,b) and (c,d) that satisfy the equation Ax+By+C=0 and a line formed by the solutions of this equation, it can be shown that the line passing through (a,b) and (c,d) is unique. This can be proved by assuming that there are two lines and showing that they are actually the same line, as A',B',C' must be scalar multiples of A,B,C. This implies that one line is a stretched version of the other.
DeadOriginal

Homework Statement

Suppose (a,b) and (c,d) are unique points in ##\mathbb{R}^{2}## that satisfy Ax+By+C=0. Suppose also that the solutions of Ax+By+C=0 form a line. Then the line that (a,b) and (c,d) lie on is unique.

Homework Equations

I showed in a previous part of the problem that there exists real numbers A,B,C not all equal to 0 that satisfy Aa+Bb+C=0 and Ac+Bd+C=0. I also showed that if A',B',C' were also nontrivial solutions that satisfied the two equations then A',B',C' were scalar multiples of A,B,C.

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose that (a,b) and (c,d) are unique points that satisfy Ax+By+C=0. Suppose also that the set of solutions of Ax+By+C=0 forms a line that is not unique so there exists another equation such that A'x+B'y+C'=0 but we previously showed that A',B',C' must be scalar multiples of A,B,C so the two lines are actually the same. Hence the line that (a,b) and (c,d) lie on is unique.

I thought that since A',B',C' were scalar multiples of A,B,C then the new equation was just a stretched version of the older line so they must be the same line. Is this logic correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
DeadOriginal said:

Homework Statement

Suppose (a,b) and (c,d) are unique points in ##\mathbb{R}^{2}## that satisfy Ax+By+C=0. Suppose also that the solutions of Ax+By+C=0 form a line. Then the line that (a,b) and (c,d) lie on is unique.

Homework Equations

I showed in a previous part of the problem that there exists real numbers A,B,C not all equal to 0 that satisfy Aa+Bb+C=0 and Ac+Bd+C=0. I also showed that if A',B',C' were also nontrivial solutions that satisfied the two equations then A',B',C' were scalar multiples of A,B,C.

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose that (a,b) and (c,d) are unique points that satisfy Ax+By+C=0. Suppose also that the set of solutions of Ax+By+C=0 forms a line that is not unique so there exists another equation such that A'x+B'y+C'=0 but we previously showed that A',B',C' must be scalar multiples of A,B,C so the two lines are actually the same. Hence the line that (a,b) and (c,d) lie on is unique.

I thought that since A',B',C' were scalar multiples of A,B,C then the new equation was just a stretched version of the older line so they must be the same line. Is this logic correct?

Assuming you've shown this :

we previously showed that A',B',C' must be scalar multiples of A,B,C so the two lines are actually the same

Then yes, the trick would be to assume that the line was not unique and that there are two lines. Then showing the two lines are the same shows that the original line must be unique.

Does A',B',C' being scalar multiples of A,B,C show that we are dealing with the same lines or should I be further justifying this?

DeadOriginal said:
Does A',B',C' being scalar multiples of A,B,C show that we are dealing with the same lines or should I be further justifying this?

If you aren't changing the actual location of the coordinates ##(a,b)## and ##(c,d)##, then the scalar line is a stretched version of the original line. So therefore they are the same line and pass through the same points, it's just one is longer than the other.

Ah! Cool. Thanks.

Zondrina said:
If you aren't changing the actual location of the coordinates ##(a,b)## and ##(c,d)##, then the scalar line is a stretched version of the original line. So therefore they are the same line and pass through the same points, it's just one is longer than the other.
Well, you wouldn't say "one is longer than the other" because lines, as opposed to line segments, so not have a "length".

HallsofIvy said:
Well, you wouldn't say "one is longer than the other" because lines, as opposed to line segments, so not have a "length".

Would it be appropriate to say that one line is a stretched version of another?

1. How can you determine if two points lie on the same line?

To determine if two points lie on the same line, you can use the slope-intercept form of a line (y = mx + b) and plug in the coordinates of the two points. If the resulting equations are equal, then the points lie on the same line.

2. Can two points that have the same x-coordinate but different y-coordinates lie on the same line?

Yes, two points can have the same x-coordinate but different y-coordinates and still lie on the same line. This occurs when the line is vertical, and the x-coordinate remains constant while the y-coordinate changes.

3. Is it possible for two unique points to lie on more than one line?

No, two unique points can only lie on one line. This is because a line is defined as a straight path connecting two points, and there can only be one straight path between two points.

4. How many points are needed to uniquely determine a line?

Two points are needed to uniquely determine a line. This is because two points are enough to calculate the slope and y-intercept, which are the two parameters needed to define a line in the slope-intercept form.

5. Can two lines have the same slope but different y-intercepts?

Yes, two lines can have the same slope but different y-intercepts. This means that the lines are parallel. In this case, the lines will never intersect, but they will have the same steepness.