Suggest a topic for me to write an essay about?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a high school student's inquiry about writing an extended essay for the IB program. They were interested in string theory, but were unsure if it would be too difficult for them. The other person suggested that string theory has easily explainable material and also recommended looking into quantum physics. The student was also advised to have original ideas in their essay and not just reiterate existing theories. However, due to the requirement of obtaining quantitative results, they were looking for other science topics to consider.
nobb
Hey
I am in high school and I have to write and extended essay (4000 words with sources) for the IB program. I was thinking about writing something about string theory. After watching The Elegant Universe, I was pretty interested. Would string theory be too hard for a high school student like me? What other science topics can I consider?

Physics news on Phys.org
String would be good. There's a lot of easily fairly easily explainable material there. You could go about quantum physics in general too. The philosophical side is good stuff.

Could you give me an example of easily explanable material on string theory? Maybe I could focus on a small area. I don't really have much knowledge of string theory at the moment. I've only watched Nova's The Elegant Universe, and I'm very interested.

You can't focus on a small area. You could if you were to describe it mathematically. But by words, you can only cover things superficially.

An essay should really have original ideas in it. Just reiterating the state of the art in string theory is perhaps not what your teacher had in mind...?

Thanks for all your suggestions, but my teacher just said that I must do something where I can obtain quantitative results, so basically all theories are cut. Any other suggestions?

What is the purpose of suggesting a topic for an essay?

Suggesting a topic for an essay helps to narrow down the focus of the writing and provide a starting point for research and analysis. It also ensures that the essay is relevant and interesting to the audience.

How do I come up with a good essay topic?

A good essay topic should be specific, debatable, and relevant to the subject matter. It can be generated by brainstorming, researching current events and issues, or drawing from personal experiences and interests.

Can I use someone else's suggested topic for my essay?

While it is possible to use someone else's suggested topic, it is important to ensure that the topic aligns with your own interests and writing style. It is also important to properly cite and give credit to the source of the suggested topic.

How can I make sure my essay topic is unique?

To make sure your essay topic is unique, do some preliminary research to see if the topic has already been extensively written about. You can also put a unique spin on a common topic or focus on a specific aspect or angle that has not been explored before.

Should I choose a topic that I am passionate about or one that is popular?

It is generally recommended to choose a topic that you are passionate about, as this will make the writing process more enjoyable and the resulting essay more engaging. However, it is also important to consider the audience and choose a topic that will be interesting and relevant to them.