MTW Exercise 25.5 b) - killing vectors

In summary, the conversation is about a mathematical exercise involving Poisson brackets and Lie brackets. The participants discuss the correct way to calculate the commutator of two killing fields and eventually reach the correct solution using Lie derivatives. They also share a link to stories from physicist John Wheeler.
zn5252
hi there,
In this Ex ( see attached snapshot ), point b), the poisson bracket equation is not so straightforward to obtain.
Please correct my Poisson Bracket expansion here :
The first one which is provided is simpler :
[ε,η] = εμδμηρ - ημδμερ = ζη

and the monster one :

[pε,pη] = [pμεμ,pβηβ] = (pμεμ)∂μ(pβηβ) -
(pμημ)∂μ(pβεβ)

Thanks,

Attachments

• MTWExc25_5.png
    MTWExc25_5.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 734
Physics news on Phys.org
What you have written down doesn't make sense. Thankfully for you it's still quite simple :)

##[p_{\mu}\xi^{\mu},p_{\mu}\eta^{\mu}] = \frac{\partial }{\partial x^{\lambda}}(p_{\mu}\xi^{\mu})\frac{\partial }{\partial p_{\lambda}}(p_{\nu}\eta^{\nu})-\frac{\partial }{\partial p_{\lambda}}(p_{\mu}\xi^{\mu})\frac{\partial }{\partial x^{\lambda}}(p_{\nu}\eta^{\nu})## and keep in mind that ##\xi^{\mu}=\xi^{\mu}(x^{\nu})##, ##\eta^{\mu} = \eta^{\mu}(x^{\nu})## as well as ##\frac{\partial p_{\mu}}{\partial p_{\nu}} = \delta^{\nu}_{\mu}##. The rest is a straightforward calculation.

EDIT: I must admit that this entire exercise is a bit weird. Showing that the commutator of two killing fields is also a killing field is way more straightforward than this.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
hey Mate,
Thanks for your reply. Well it seems I got confused here. I had based my second commutation on the first one. In my very first attempt I had indeed written your expression but had forgotten that the other variable was x not either of the killing vectors ε or η...
Damn that got me wrong all the way !
At the beginning I had started with the Jacobi identity but did not check out ...
Thanks very much !

WannabeNewton said:
What you have written down doesn't make sense. Thankfully for you it's still quite simple :)

By the way, why it does not make sense. It does if it were a commutation relation and not a Poisson bracket. What do you think ?

Yeah what you wrote down is fine for a Lie bracket of vector fields on a smooth manifold but what you want is a Poisson bracket of scalar fields that are functions of phase space coordinates (cotangent bundle to the smooth manifold).

Did you get the final result by the way? Feel free to ask if you get stuck elsewhere.

Ok let us expand out your expression above :

(pμξμ)[itex]\frac{∂(p_{v}η^{v})}{∂p_{λ}}[/itex]−(pvηv)[itex]\frac{∂(p_{v}ε^{v})}{∂p_{λ}}[/itex] =
( pμεμ + pμεμ ) ( ηλ + pv[itex]\frac{∂(η^{v})}{∂p_{λ}}[/itex] ) -
( pvηv + pvηv ) ( ελ + pv[itex]\frac{∂(ε^{v})}{∂p_{λ}}[/itex] )
Now we have : [itex]\frac{∂(ε^{v})}{∂p_{λ}}[/itex] = 0 = [itex]\frac{∂(η^{v})}{∂p_{λ}}[/itex]
we are left with :
( pμεμ + pμεμ ) ( ηλ ) -
( pvηv + pvηv ) ( ελ )
This gives :
pμεμηλ + pμεμ ηλ - pvηvελ - pvηvελ

Now the second and the last term would yield the result (i.e. -pζ based on the commutation of ε and η) which means that the first and the third terms would add up to 0. How do you think ?

Remember that we are working in phase space coordinates ##\{x^{\mu},p_{\mu}\}## so ##\frac{\partial p_{\mu}}{\partial x^{\nu}} = 0##. This makes the first and third terms vanish.

WannabeNewton said:
EDIT: I must admit that this entire exercise is a bit weird. Showing that the commutator of two killing fields is also a killing field is way more straightforward than this.

Yes there is a much shorter version using Lie derivatives indeed...

WannabeNewton said:
WannabeNewton said:
Remember that we are working in phase space coordinates ##\{x^{\mu},p_{\mu}\}## so ##\frac{\partial p_{\mu}}{\partial x^{\nu}} = 0##. This makes the first and third terms vanish.

Well then it is done !

See you in another MTW Ex hopfully !
As a gift to you :http://www.webofstories.com/play/john.wheeler/76
Enjoy wheeler's stories by mighty Wheeler,
Thanks Sir.

Haha thanks for the link bud. Take care and have fun!

1. What are killing vectors?

Killing vectors are a type of vector field in differential geometry that represents the infinitesimal generators of isometries on a given manifold. In simpler terms, they are vectors that preserve the geometry of a manifold under certain transformations.

2. How are killing vectors related to symmetries?

Killing vectors are closely related to symmetries because they represent the transformations that preserve the geometry of a manifold. In other words, they represent the symmetries of a manifold.

3. What is the significance of killing vectors in physics?

In physics, killing vectors are important because they represent the conserved quantities of a system. They also play a crucial role in general relativity, where they are used to describe the symmetries of spacetime.

4. How are killing vectors used in mathematical calculations?

Killing vectors are used in mathematical calculations to determine the symmetries and conserved quantities of a system. They are also used to simplify differential equations and to find solutions to certain problems in geometry.

5. Can killing vectors be found in all manifolds?

No, killing vectors can only be found in certain manifolds that have a specific type of symmetry known as isometries. For example, a sphere has isometries and therefore has killing vectors, while a torus does not have isometries and therefore does not have killing vectors.