Length Contraction oes the object or travel distance shrink?

In summary: I'm a physicist, so it's all pretty strange to me.In summary, the article suggests that the length of an object or photon in a given frame of reference is less than the rest frame distance between the observer and the object or photon.
Superposed_Cat
Length Contraction:Does the object or travel distance shrink?

I had always thought that length contraction meant that the object itself shrunk but I stumbled across an article where they said "Because of length contraction the photon doesn't travel any distance at all. Which is it? Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should always link an article if you're going to draw phrases from it. If that is what the article said verbatim then it is a nonsensical statement.

Some of the answers are wrong too

... but if he were a real man with real mass, he would have become a black hole singularity and would never ever again notice any time at all …
This is nonsense. No material object can be measured to be traveling at the speed of light.

The article is completely nonsensical.

In answer to the question in the thread title: it depends on the frame of reference. Whatever is doing the moving is length contracted. If you're sitting on a train, from your point view as the world whizzes past you, it is contracted. The distance you perceive between two points that pass by you in succession is less than the rest frame distance of those two points. On the other hand, from the point of view of a person standing next to the track, it's the train that is contracted.

I agree that using a photon as the example moving object was a bad idea, since a photon rest frame cannot be defined. EDIT: I also agree that this article is bunk. What supposed "physicist" is doing the answering here?

Last edited:
I have no idea. I just followed a link after reading another article. So the entire universe is contracted?

Last edited:
Superposed_Cat said:
I have no idea. I just followed a link after reading another article. So the entire universe is contracted?

Sure. This seems surprising until you realize that what's going on is that spacetime is the fundamental construct. The direction through spacetime that is experienced as "time" and the directions that are experienced as "space" are different for different observers in relative motion.

Nah physics in general seems surprising.

1. Does length contraction really happen?

The concept of length contraction is supported by the theory of relativity, which has been experimentally verified numerous times. Therefore, it can be considered a real phenomenon.

2. How does length contraction occur?

Length contraction occurs when an object moves at high speeds, close to the speed of light. As the object moves, its length in the direction of motion appears to decrease to an outside observer, while the object remains unchanged to the observer on the object.

3. Does length contraction only happen in theory or can it be observed in real life?

Length contraction can be observed in real life through experiments involving high-speed particles, such as in particle accelerators. It is also taken into account in the design and functioning of technologies like GPS systems.

4. Does length contraction affect all objects equally?

According to the theory of relativity, length contraction affects all objects that move at high speeds, regardless of their size or mass. However, the amount of contraction will be more noticeable in objects that are moving at a higher speed.

5. Can length contraction be reversed?

In theory, length contraction can be reversed if the object's speed is reduced to zero. However, reaching this speed is not possible for objects with mass due to the laws of physics. Thus, length contraction is considered a permanent effect on objects moving at high speeds.