Jalapenos I Grew: The Food Thread Part 2

In summary, these jalapenos I grew this summer are really coming in handy this winter. They're good in just about anything for adding a great pepper taste and a little heat.
Spring rolls in Poland are called "Saigonians".

Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
That's peculiar! We call them Loempia (Indonesian origin).

Borek said:

Monique said:
That's peculiar! We call them Loempia (Indonesian origin).
Rolls made with rice paper are referred to here as "spring rolls". I learned years ago from a Filipino friend to make "lumpia", but they're made with eggroll wrappers and deep fried like egg rolls. They aren't spring rolls of the type Monique showed.

This is the first time I've heard heard of them referred to as "shanghai rolls", but Borek is right, apparently they are also called that. Although this Filipino website says to use "spring roll wrappers", I can tell from the pictures that they are using heavier wrappers closer to eggroll wrappers, and they are deep frying them. Go figure.

http://www.manilaspoon.com/2012/11/lumpiang-shanghai-filipino-spring-rolls.html

As with many dishes, there are variations of some common theme. Compare ratatouille with đuveč, compare burek variants, compare baklava variants - these are just first examples that I can think of.

Part of fine cooking skills consists of the tools. I bought us three Thiers-Issard knives, including a 3" paring knife that my wife calls "the best knife in the world!"

Recently, she has invested in a Dutch oven made by Lodge Colors. It is very heavy cast-iron coated with porcelain enamel. Don't buy this stuff for a person who is frail. It is REALLY heavy.

danago said:
I have published my article with lots of photos on my lunch at The Fat Duck.

(price included)

Borek said:
(price included)

I'm starting a new graduate job in two weeks...I'll have a stable income shortly (It's what I was telling myself as I made the reservation, and again when I was handing over my $$$) :smile:

danago said:
I have published my article with lots of photos on my lunch at The Fat Duck.

http://eatspeakwrite.com/reviews/the-fat-duck-bray/

Truly an amazing dining experience, even if it did cost us £250 per person.

Wow. I usually come to this thread to get ideas for things I might prepare for myself.

I think the only thing on the menu I could recreate would be the toast sandwich. Plain of course.

Served with our tea were some toast sandwiches, filled with all things delightful from cinnamon cream to truffles to lettuce to, obviously, toast. I must admit, before dining at The Fat Duck I had no idea that a “toast sandwich” was actually something that existed before Heston used the idea. It was originally published in Isabella Beeton’s Mrs Beeton’s Book of Household Management in 1861, a book published as a guide to running a Victorian household. The original recipe suggested placing a piece of cold toast in between buttered fresh bread and seasoning with pepper. Heston’s was obviously a little more fancy, but kept the idea of using toast as a textural element.

And 4 hours to eat? Wow. Obviously a once in a lifetime meal. I laughed when I thought about what it would be like if all our meals took that long.

I got up, had breakfast, then lunch, then dinner, then went to bed.

:tongue:

And I did run off to Facebook to post a comment about your teaser post on the 17th.

Snail soup? Aren't snails just slugs with shells? and $800!

But it did intrigue me. I've been a huge sushi fan for several decades, and am not averse to trying new foods. So I googled: how to eat slugs

and came across this very delightful video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IbYROJZ1a4

A black slug tastes like rubber wheels, but a banana slug tastes good.

:biggrin:

We have lots of banana slugs where I live.

wiki said:
Banana slugs have been used as food by Yurok Indians of the North Coast and by German immigrants in the 19th and early 20th centuries. A yearly festival and contest is held at Russian River (California) including slug races and a contest for recipes - though, even when fed corn meal to purge them or soaked in vinegar to remove slime, the slugs' flavor is not always well regarded, and the most successful entries are often those in which the flavor is unnoticeable.

Like mustard ice cream, and Uni, some foods need to be worked up to.

danago said:
I had this typical Tuscan soup with cavolo nero and bread while visiting Siena:

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1555304_385493181594734_736584983_n.jpg

It's probably the closest thing to healthy I've eaten on this trip so far :rolleyes: It was very tasty, and a dish that I will certainly try to recreate when I go home.

I am so hungry right now~~~

OmCheeto said:
and came across this very delightful video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IbYROJZ1a4

:biggrin:

We have lots of banana slugs where I live.

Seems like a pretty authoritative video on slug fare, so you should go right ahead and start hunting those banana slugs and whipping up something for your next set of dinner guests :biggrin:

danago, your food blog is the best I've read! You are an incredible writer, I felt that I was right there with you!

Evo said:
danago, your food blog is the best I've read! You are an incredible writer, I felt that I was right there with you!

Thanks for the comment :smile: It is still very amateurish as far as food blogs go, but it is something I enjoy doing when I have some free time. It is a great way to combine my love for cooking, dining, writing, photography, culture and language (I try to include bits about etymology that I find interesting).

danago said:
Seems like a pretty authoritative video on slug fare, so you should go right ahead and start hunting those banana slugs and whipping up something for your next set of dinner guests :biggrin:

Whipped banana slug. hmmm... :yuck:

Anyways...

My cousins are currently staying on a small island off the coast of Honduras. On Monday, I had sushi for the first time in probably 5 years. When I got home, I read that my cousin had hunted down, killed, and ate a lionfish. I was somewhat aghast, as they are one of the most beautiful fish in the world, IMHO. But he said they were an invasive species, so I asked him how they tasted raw.

Simple, nice texture, good with soy sauce. Next time I'd like to try pan frying with olive oil and salt. I don't really get off on killing things. But I do enjoy the challenge of actively taking down a live fish. Many Caribbean reef systems are at risk of collapse, and the lionfish are accelerating all the other problems (climate change that leads to bleaching, overfishing, coastal development that leads to sedimentation problems and algae fertilized by sewage and problems from plastic trash). The overall trends for coral reefs are pretty damn depressing, but this a small way to help.

It looks as though there are a few restaurants in Florida that serve lionfish.

Save the reefs! Eat more lionfish! They are delicious!

I'd be up for trying lionfish, although I've never seen it on a menu here in Australia. Instead we just eat our kangaroos :tongue:

It is currently fig season here in Australia, so there is no shortage of one of my favourite fruits. Each year I tell myself that I am going to make something marvelous with these figs - maybe fig friands, a batch of fig jam, or perhaps french toast with caramelised figs - but then I just end up eating them all in their most natural form.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t31/q72/s720x720/1614383_408832395927479_171091822_o.jpg

danago said:
It is currently fig season here in Australia, so there is no shortage of one of my favourite fruits. Each year I tell myself that I am going to make something marvelous with these figs - maybe fig friands, a batch of fig jam, or perhaps french toast with caramelised figs - but then I just end up eating them all in their most natural form.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t31/q72/s720x720/1614383_408832395927479_171091822_o.jpg
Oh, those are the type of figs we grew in our back yard growing up in Texas, it's too cold to grow them here. :frown: It never failed that every fig I was watching, waiting for it to be perfectly ripe and luscious, the morning I went to pick it, a bird had already ripped into it.

It's almost St. Patrick's day here in the US. I just pulled out the Irish Soda Bread out of the oven.

kget.jpg

Having people over for corned beef and cabbage (and a game of Clue). It's not strictly traditional Irish, but then again, I'm not Irish! :)

Zz.

That looks yummy, Zz!

Reminds me of something my hubby made for me the other day:

http://assets.kitchendaily.com/styles/large/s3/purewow-whole-roasted-cauliflower.jpg [Broken]

Nope, it's not a brain :biggrin:, it's a whole roasted cauliflower. It was delicious!

Recipe here:

http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/spicy-whole-roasted-cauliflower

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
That looks yummy, Zz!

http://assets.kitchendaily.com/styles/large/s3/purewow-whole-roasted-cauliflower.jpg [Broken]

Nope, it's not a brain :biggrin:, it's a whole roasted cauliflower. It was delicious!

Recipe here:

That looks great!

I cut the cauliflower or broccoli up into flat florets and bake at 400F until brown and crispy on both sides. AWESOME!

lisab said:
That looks yummy, Zz!

Recipe here:

I'm definitely going to be growing cauliflower this summer now. :!)

That looks yummy lisab:!)

lisab said:
That looks yummy, Zz!

Recipe here:

I actually have had that. I don't know if your hubby drizzled it with olive oil. The one I had had that, and also a generous sprinkling of parmigiano reggiano.

Good idea. I think I need to do the roasted cauliflower at my next dinner party.

Zz.

Woke up today and felt like doing breakfast. Fava beans with pita bread. A scent from the middle east. :!)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/199/xkb2.jpg [Broken]

Edit: this is not the traditional way to do it, I like to add veggies to it. :p

drizzle said:
Woke up today and felt like doing breakfast. Fava beans with pita bread. A scent from the middle east. :!)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/199/xkb2.jpg [Broken]

Edit: this is not the traditional way to do it, I like to add veggies to it. :p

Fava beans? I thought they only went with liver. :tongue:

To my knowledge, I've never eaten a Fava bean.
I'll have to find some.

I just bought my first batch of store bought kale the other day, steamed it, poured some olive oil over it, and sprinkled a few grains of sea salt.

It was like eating, um, home cooked nirvana. :!)

ps. Someone just told me Fava beans are similar to Chickpeas. Is this true?

OmCheeto said:
Fava beans? I thought they only went with liver. :tongue:

To my knowledge, I've never eaten a Fava bean.
I'll have to find some.

I just bought my first batch of store bought kale the other day, steamed it, poured some olive oil over it, and sprinkled a few grains of sea salt.

It was like eating, um, home cooked nirvana. :!)

ps. Someone just told me Fava beans are similar to Chickpeas. Is this true?

Nooooooooo! They are totally different.

chickpea_beans.jpg

This is chickpeas [also known as garbanzo, or Hummus]. Hummus is usually served as an appitizer, a snack, sometimes for breakfast. Moroccans add it cleverly to their couscous dishes.
Foul.jpg

This one here is Fava beans [known as foul in Arabic:biggrin:]. The traditional way to cook it is to keep it simple with cumin. Google for foul recipes if you wish, there are plenty of them.

My mother bought fava beans at an import store when I was younger, they reminded her of being in France, I was not impressed, just a bean.

Hmm, didn't know it's popular in France.

They are, but since she grew up in Algeria, maybe that's were she remembered them from.

Looks delicious, drizzle!

Likes 1 person
dlgoff said:
I'm definitely going to be growing cauliflower this summer now. :!)
If you grow it, you won't believe how delicious it is, it tastes like butter.

Evo said:
If you grow it, you won't believe how delicious it is, it tastes like butter.
Oh. I've grown it plenty of times and you are correct. I haven't baked it however.

edit: as soon as I get a new photo hosting account, I'll post a pic of 6 chicks I got today. One looks like a Rogertoo.

dlgoff said:
Oh. I've grown it plenty of times and you are correct. I haven't baked it however.

edit: as soon as I get a new photo hosting account, I'll post a pic of 6 chicks I got today. One looks like a Rogertoo.

Rogertoo? In the food thread? :frown:

I give you one Omfraction for that... :grumpy:

Evo said:
My mother bought fava beans at an import store when I was younger, they reminded her of being in France, I was not impressed, just a bean.

bolding mine

:cry:

I love beans.

OmCheeto said:
Rogertoo? In the food thread? :frown:

I give you one Omfraction for that... :grumpy:
Well, Roger-one was food for a critter. Does that count?

<h2>1. What are jalapenos and how are they grown?</h2><p>Jalapenos are a type of chili pepper that is commonly used in Mexican and Southwestern cuisine. They are typically grown from seeds in warm, sunny climates with well-drained soil. They can also be grown in containers indoors.</p><h2>2. How long does it take for jalapenos to grow?</h2><p>Jalapenos typically take 70-80 days to reach maturity. However, this can vary depending on the growing conditions and the specific variety of jalapeno.</p><h2>3. How do I know when my jalapenos are ready to be harvested?</h2><p>Jalapenos are ready to be harvested when they are firm, glossy, and have reached their full size. They should also have a deep green color, although some varieties may turn red when fully ripe.</p><h2>4. Can I grow jalapenos in a colder climate?</h2><p>While jalapenos thrive in warm climates, they can also be grown in colder regions with the help of a greenhouse or by starting the plants indoors and transplanting them outside once the weather warms up.</p><h2>5. How do I store and preserve my jalapeno harvest?</h2><p>Jalapenos can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. They can also be pickled, canned, or frozen for longer-term storage. To freeze jalapenos, simply wash and dry them, then place them in a freezer-safe bag or container.</p>

1. What are jalapenos and how are they grown?

Jalapenos are a type of chili pepper that is commonly used in Mexican and Southwestern cuisine. They are typically grown from seeds in warm, sunny climates with well-drained soil. They can also be grown in containers indoors.

2. How long does it take for jalapenos to grow?

Jalapenos typically take 70-80 days to reach maturity. However, this can vary depending on the growing conditions and the specific variety of jalapeno.

3. How do I know when my jalapenos are ready to be harvested?

Jalapenos are ready to be harvested when they are firm, glossy, and have reached their full size. They should also have a deep green color, although some varieties may turn red when fully ripe.

4. Can I grow jalapenos in a colder climate?

While jalapenos thrive in warm climates, they can also be grown in colder regions with the help of a greenhouse or by starting the plants indoors and transplanting them outside once the weather warms up.

5. How do I store and preserve my jalapeno harvest?

Jalapenos can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. They can also be pickled, canned, or frozen for longer-term storage. To freeze jalapenos, simply wash and dry them, then place them in a freezer-safe bag or container.