Jalapenos I Grew: The Food Thread Part 2

In summary, these jalapenos I grew this summer are really coming in handy this winter. They're good in just about anything for adding a great pepper taste and a little heat.
dlgoff said:
Well, Roger-one was food for a critter. Does that count?

Ok. Omfraction retracted...

ps. I just steamed the last of my kale, half an onion, and a nice juicy, um, "descendent of the dinosaurs" thigh.

pps. If I get fat, I'm blaming it all on whoever it was that posted that image of roasted cauliflower. grrrr... I can see the Imgur images in my head: "Here's Jabba the N-Om, N-Om, N-Om, chomping on his 18th head of roasted C-flower today..."

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
My mother bought fava beans at an import store when I was younger, they reminded her of being in France, I was not impressed, just a bean.
We call them garden beans, I don't think it's just a bean.. Fava beans must be pealed to remove their tough shell. A job I hate. They can be eaten with the rubbery membrane, but that's not so appealing.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfRgWFBsbKDJ7pHm6evh1-KzEP4xOUwr-eNgVWm8-EQESiFaLAog.jpg

drizzle said:
Woke up today and felt like doing breakfast. Fava beans with pita bread. A scent from the middle east. :!)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/199/xkb2.jpg [Broken]

Edit: this is not the traditional way to do it, I like to add veggies to it. :p

Why are your beans brown :yuck: Surely not the way I know them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cause they were dried first?

Besides, they are tasty, why are you judging on the color?... Racist. :biggrin: :tongue:

drizzle said:
Cause they were dried first?

Besides, they are tasty, why are you judging on the color?... Racist. :biggrin: :tongue:

Call me racist, but I don't eat fava beans unless they look like this. You don't know what you're missing out on! One you go green, you'll never eat another color bean :biggrin:
fava-beans_url.jpg

Monique said:
Call me racist, but I don't eat fava beans unless they look like this. You don't know what you're missing out on! One you go green, you'll never eat another color bean :biggrin:
fava-beans_url.jpg

You don't cook them?

Monique said:
The ones in the picture are cooked, see recipe: http://mymansbelly.com/2010/04/21/fava-beans-with-manchego-cheese/

I've decided, that I'm going to blame all of you, for getting me fat...

Currently munching on steamed kale, brussells sprouts, green edamame beans, lemon, freshly ground pepper, sea salt, olive oil, and...

I ate half of the "forever" cheese waiting for everything to cook.

They had no favas...

ps. The head of cauliflower is in the fridge. :redface:

OmCheeto said:
The head of cauliflower is in the fridge. :redface:
Tomorrow's a new day. Just sayin'

OmCheeto said:
I've decided, that I'm going to blame all of you, for getting me fat...

Currently munching on steamed kale, brussells sprouts, green edamame beans, lemon, freshly ground pepper, sea salt, olive oil, and...

I ate half of the "forever" cheese waiting for everything to cook.
:rofl: Sounds like a healthy meal to me!

dlgoff said:
Tomorrow's a new day. Just sayin'

So is today. :smile:

It's cooking...

ps. I don't have a zester, so I threw the lemon(I had no lime) rind in the coffee grinder. That kind of worked.

My sea-salt is a bit big, so I threw that in the coffee grinder also.

I did replace the garlic with a bit of onion, as, I had no garlic.

I ignored all proportions, as 1 Tbsp of Cumin would last me about 5 years. Certain veggies, herbs, and spices, seem to overpower my senses.

(I'm that way also with raw Bell Pepper, Celery, and Cilantro. Not a clue why. The three, to me, are spices, and not foods.
Though the first time I actually remember eating Bell Pepper, it was cooked, and filled with some rice and stuff, covered in some sauce, about 30 years ago, in some fancy hotel restaurant in Hawaii. It was incredible. Someone find that recipe!)
Currently nomming on steamed/seared Brussel's sprouts and onions, waiting for the brain to cool.

:smile:

No pics Om?

drizzle said:
No pics Om?

Cooked brains all look alike. :tongue:
It looked just like LisaB's picture.

Though it was a bit on the dry side.
I think I will steam it first next time.

For some reason, I like my Cauliflower and Broccoli either completely raw, or completely steamed. I do not like the middling texture. It's just not right.

OmCheeto said:
For some reason, I like my Cauliflower and Broccoli either completely raw, or completely steamed. I do not like the middling texture. It's just not right.
You don't like them roasted? It's the only way that I will eat them cooked now. :!) I break them up into individual florets and scatter them on an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet. You can toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper before hand. bake at 400F for 30 minutes or until browned on both sides.

This is also a tasty variation, I find that mixing everything in a bowl first helps evenly coat the florets.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/roasted_cauliflower/

Last edited:
Evo said:
You don't like them roasted? It's the only way that I will eat them cooked now. :!) I break them up into individual florets and scatter them on an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet. You can toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper before hand. bake at 400F for 30 minutes or until browned on both sides.

This is also a tasty variation, I find that mixing everything in a bowl first helps evenly coat the florets.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/roasted_cauliflower/

:bugeye:

I'm out of cauliflower...

Must buy more...

I may be a zombie...

OmCheeto said:

I'm out of cauliflower...

Must buy more...

I may be a zombie...

32 x 7?! good god! You're a lucky caulizombie!

lisab said:
32 x 7?! good god! You're a lucky caulizombie!

22 x 3 x 5

Must get more cauliflower... :bugeye:

I can taste Evo's recipe, without even having eaten it... :bugeye:

Roasted parmesan, garlic, olive oil, and brains... :bugeye:

On a zombie side note, I'm friends with an italicized PF'er, who posted this the other day on FB:

pf.dead.daves.apple.sorbet...yowser.jpg

cored out apple, filled with sorbet. frozen.

I have two halves freezing, as I type.

Although his used sorbet, I replaced mine with frozen Greek yogurt.

OmCheeto said:
On a zombie side note, I'm friends with an italicized PF'er, who posted this the other day on FB:

pf.dead.daves.apple.sorbet...yowser.jpg

cored out apple, filled with sorbet. frozen.

I have two halves freezing, as I type.

Although his used sorbet, I replaced mine with frozen Greek yogurt.
Oooh, I once had one from a friend who bought it at a very expensive store: cored lemon/oranges filled with lemon/orange ice-cream. I should try making that myself sometime :smile:

I bought some ramekins today, does anyone have a good recipe either sweet or savory (no meat) to bake in them?

Monique said:
Oooh, I once had one from a friend who bought it at a very expensive store: cored lemon/oranges filled with lemon/orange ice-cream. I should try making that myself sometime :smile:
My apples ended up being too thick to eat frozen. I'll have to pick up a melon baller tool. I'm guessing you want no more than 1/4 inch of apple flesh, which is impossible to do with a paring knife. All was not lost though. I ate the yogurt, and then baked the apples.

Monique said:

I'm thinking now that this is a silly novelty. It's much easier, at home, to just chop up apples and sprinkle them on ice cream.

Your lemon/orange story intrigued me though. I've mixed all manner of fruit with ice cream before, but never citrus fruit.

This morning I had freshly diced orange and greek yogurt for breakfast. :thumbs:

Tomorrow I will dice a lemon and do the same. I might leave some bits with the rinds still attached.

My local sushi bar puts a wedge of lemon like that on top of their amaebi(sweet shrimp on rice roll). At first I thought I was supposed to squeeze the teeny little lemon wedge to get the juice out, but then I discovered you're supposed to eat the whole thing. Very interesting, and wonderful difference.

OmCheeto said:
I'm thinking now that this is a silly novelty. It's much easier, at home, to just chop up apples and sprinkle them on ice cream.

Your lemon/orange story intrigued me though. I've mixed all manner of fruit with ice cream before, but never citrus fruit.
This is what it looks like:
ItalianLemonice.jpg

Recipe: http://www.myfudo.com/easy-desserts-recipes-lemon-sorbet-italian-lemon-ice/
Great when having guests over for dinner, they'd be impressed with the presentation :biggrin:

Street vendors sell those in France. It was more of a granita or sorbet than an ice cream.

Edit: Just read your link, yes, that's what it is.

Evo said:
Street vendors sell those in France. It was more of a granita or sorbet than an ice cream.

Oh you're right, he got those at a Traiteur and I now realize that's French not Italian :smile: Italy is the ice cream country to me, I however have never seen such ice cream presentation in either country.

Monique said:
This is what it looks like:
ItalianLemonice.jpg

Recipe: http://www.myfudo.com/easy-desserts-recipes-lemon-sorbet-italian-lemon-ice/
Great when having guests over for dinner, they'd be impressed with the presentation :biggrin:
I don't think I have enough Martha Stewart in me to go to that much trouble.

But if I do, I'll find different lemons, as the ones I recently purchased taste like lemon-gasoline.

/me checks label: Meyer Lemons, from Fresno California
note to self: :yuck:

Evo said:

What the heck is granita?
google google google

Ah ha! Snow cones for adults. That sounds very good.

Watermelon Granita

Today at work, I made a salad at the salad bar. They usually have two pre-made "topical" salads. One of today's was a "Masala Salad". It had some things in it that I recognized, so I had some.

But I was puzzled by the word "Masala". I'd only once heard the term before, the title of a movie I've never seen.

I googled it whilst eating my salad today for lunch.

It would appear that there is no definitive "Masala", and the OED seems to confirm what I read in the wiki entry today:

OED said:
Any of a number of spice mixtures ground into a paste or powder for use in Indian cooking.

Anyways, I just bought the only ingredient I was missing from the recipe I looked at: Chicken.

Wish me luck.

For Om.

This is a recipe for an edamame *hummus*.

Ingredients
4 large cloves garlic, un-peeled
16 ounces shelled edamame beans (about 2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch salt and pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
Pita chips, for dipping

Directions
In a medium skillet over medium heat, roast the garlic, turning frequently, until light brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, cool, and then slip off the skins. Set aside.

Bring about 8 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan and drop in the beans. Bring back to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Reserve 3/4 cup of the cooking water before draining. Drain the beans and cool.

Transfer the garlic into a food processor and chop coarsely. Add the beans, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, pepper and process in the food processor. Add the olive oil, lime juice and cilantro and pulse to combine. Add the reserved water a little at a time while processing until smooth (you may not need to add all of the water). Use pita chips for dipping.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/spicy-edamame-dip-recipe.html?oc=linkback

I've been to Kentucky Fried Chicken only once ever (I think), when my wife and I were traveling last summer and it was literally the only place to eat within walking distance of our motel one evening in Arkansas. But I may visit our local KFC next week to try this:

KFC brings back its fabled Double Down (CNN)

If you don't see anything from me in a while, I'll probably be recuperating in the hospital. :uhh:

jtbell said:
I've been to Kentucky Fried Chicken only once ever (I think), when my wife and I were traveling last summer and it was literally the only place to eat within walking distance of our motel one evening in Arkansas. But I may visit our local KFC next week to try this:

KFC brings back its fabled Double Down (CNN)

If you don't see anything from me in a while, I'll probably be recuperating in the hospital. :uhh:
Oh, I must get one of those!

Made chili cheese nuggets today (for the first time), yummmm! Tasted like they came from the Burger King, only they were a bit floury.. need to improve the recipe.. I think it will become a staple, love that cheesy chilliness.

Current recipe:
Mix grated cheese, green chills, corn starch, coriander leaves, salt, drizzle of water
Roll balls, cover in egg, flour, egg, crumbs
Fry

Also had some great choy sum with garlic and Shao Hsing wine and sticky rice. Accompanying that some Korean spicy tofu with dipping sauce. Recipe of the tofu from this lady: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODgI3A8SmKQ&list=FLc5oO_tUVkd4odiSHpM6ZXw&index=2 (love her :!))

I cooked the complete opposite of the dog-food-disguised-as-teriyaki-chicken that I had earlier. I made beef fried rice with stir-fried vegetables. And I used almost the same type of vegetables in that Evol teriyaki chicken: carrots, sugar peas, and broccoli. The difference being that I have large chunks of broccoli and sugar peas, and they are all still vibrant and crisp.

61dku.jpg

Zz.

Oh! That looks scrumptious!

I saw the Evol food that you bought at the store today. I should tip off the store manager.

That looks yummy Zz!

<h2>1. What are jalapenos and how are they grown?</h2><p>Jalapenos are a type of chili pepper that is commonly used in Mexican and Southwestern cuisine. They are typically grown from seeds in warm, sunny climates with well-drained soil. They can also be grown in containers indoors.</p><h2>2. How long does it take for jalapenos to grow?</h2><p>Jalapenos typically take 70-80 days to reach maturity. However, this can vary depending on the growing conditions and the specific variety of jalapeno.</p><h2>3. How do I know when my jalapenos are ready to be harvested?</h2><p>Jalapenos are ready to be harvested when they are firm, glossy, and have reached their full size. They should also have a deep green color, although some varieties may turn red when fully ripe.</p><h2>4. Can I grow jalapenos in a colder climate?</h2><p>While jalapenos thrive in warm climates, they can also be grown in colder regions with the help of a greenhouse or by starting the plants indoors and transplanting them outside once the weather warms up.</p><h2>5. How do I store and preserve my jalapeno harvest?</h2><p>Jalapenos can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. They can also be pickled, canned, or frozen for longer-term storage. To freeze jalapenos, simply wash and dry them, then place them in a freezer-safe bag or container.</p>

1. What are jalapenos and how are they grown?

Jalapenos are a type of chili pepper that is commonly used in Mexican and Southwestern cuisine. They are typically grown from seeds in warm, sunny climates with well-drained soil. They can also be grown in containers indoors.

2. How long does it take for jalapenos to grow?

Jalapenos typically take 70-80 days to reach maturity. However, this can vary depending on the growing conditions and the specific variety of jalapeno.

3. How do I know when my jalapenos are ready to be harvested?

Jalapenos are ready to be harvested when they are firm, glossy, and have reached their full size. They should also have a deep green color, although some varieties may turn red when fully ripe.

4. Can I grow jalapenos in a colder climate?

While jalapenos thrive in warm climates, they can also be grown in colder regions with the help of a greenhouse or by starting the plants indoors and transplanting them outside once the weather warms up.

5. How do I store and preserve my jalapeno harvest?

Jalapenos can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. They can also be pickled, canned, or frozen for longer-term storage. To freeze jalapenos, simply wash and dry them, then place them in a freezer-safe bag or container.