Why was I waitlisted for UMN Twin Cities?

• Thread starter sheldonrocks97
  • Start date
In summary, the OP applied early decision for Fall 2014 admission to UMN Twin Cities School of Science and Engineering, but was waitlisted. They ended up getting accepted to all of the other schools they applied to with merit scholarships. The OP is wondering why they weren't accepted to UMN and if they should contact the school to find out. Some suggest it may have been an error or a bureaucratic issue. Others suggest it could be due to the OP's attitude towards the school not being their first choice. Ultimately, college admissions can be unpredictable and there may not be a clear answer as to why the OP was waitlisted.
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member
I applied early decision for Fall 2014 freshman admission to UMN Twin Cities school of Science and Engineering back in September and they never got back with me with a decision until yesterday, where I finally found out I was waitlisted!

I applied to Clarkson, Hofstra, Indiana Tech, New Mexico Tech, Rochester Institute of Technology, Missouri S&T, Milwaukee School of Engineering, South Dakota School of Mines, University of Portland, University of Arizona, and Northern Arizona University and got into ALL of them with merit scholarships.

I'm just wondering what went wrong. I have a 4.03 GPA and am valedictorian of my high school class and a 27 ACT (33E, 27M, 23R, 26S, and 9 Writing). I also had 39 college credits by the time I finished 11th grade. I'm also receiving an additional 25 college credits my senior year.

It wasn't my first choice school anyways, but I'm just curious why I wasn't accepted. Do you think I should call them and ask?

Thanks for your input!

Physics news on Phys.org
By your own admission, it wasn't your first choice school, and you apparently did get into your first choice school. Why do you care what happened, and is it worth your effort to find out what did happen?

@D H, it'd be beneficial in order to reflect on some possible self improvement that can be done. Not everyone will like you, but if you find out that some dislike you for a legitimate reason, you can work on that.

As for you sheldonrocks97, I think an email to whoever your admissions counselor is/was would suffice. If they don't get back to you, then I'd say don't bother'm. Heck, it could've even been an accounting error!

Likes 1 person
ModestyKing said:
@D H, it'd be beneficial in order to reflect on some possible self improvement that can be done. Not everyone will like you, but if you find out that some dislike you for a legitimate reason, you can work on that.

As for you sheldonrocks97, I think an email to whoever your admissions counselor is/was would suffice. If they don't get back to you, then I'd say don't bother'm. Heck, it could've even been an accounting error!

Even if people don't like you for a "legit" reason, you can't please everyone. The OP is best off doing something fun.

Mmm_Pasta said:
Even if people don't like you for a "legit" reason, you can't please everyone. The OP is best off doing something fun.

For me, that's kind of my way of life, to be honest! I'm a happy individual, but when I don't succeed in some capacities, I like to learn why. Makes me better as a person. It's like... It's like going to your teacher or classmates after getting a question wrong on a test, and trying to figure out how to do it right. You don't have to; with your argument, you shouldn't, since that test is over and you could be off doing something fun. :)

But anyways, big respect for the OP! And I hope you have a good day. :)

ModestyKing said:
Maybe I'm old and hardened, but if someone dislikes me, they dislike me. I'm not going to change who I am just to please some mindless bureaucrat.

Assuming the OP's claimed credentials are correct, this is the most likely explanation. Perhaps his high school didn't send his transcript to UMN, perhaps the ACT didn't sent his ACT scores to UMN, or perhaps UMN lost the transcript or ACT scores somewhere between points A and ZZZ in its byzantine process. In this regard a quick contact regarding Why am I on the wait list? might be worthwhile. There is a lesson to be learned here: Bureaucratic organizations always mess up. Always. Check that all relevant information have been sent from bureaucracy A to bureaucracy B, and double check that that information has been received by bureaucracy B.

sheldonrocks97, this action might not have been aimed at you. Have you contacted the school? It could be that they waitlist applicants until they decide to deal with them all at once. Just a thought. Good luck.

Nobody can be sure. The admissions process can be idiosyncratic. Luck of the draw may apply. By the time they got to your credentials it may have been late, and they may have already settled on too many early applicants and need to cut down. It may have been early and they passed your creds looking at some others and never looked at the beginning again.

Admission to schools (or that favorite job) will be a hit and miss process. Being good or very good does not always ensure you will be selected. UMN was not your first choice, and many other schools are very good. I know Clarkson is very good although I never went there, I know some of their graduates. I think RIT is up an coming (I lived in Rochester). Arizona is very good for physics (this is a physics forum so I assume your interest in physics).

D H said:
By your own admission, it wasn't your first choice school, and you apparently did get into your first choice school. Why do you care what happened, and is it worth your effort to find out what did happen?

So true. College admissions is a crapshoot there are no guarantees if you come across as there is a guarantee you will have a bad time.

If I was to venture a guess I would guess the application materials probably came off like the school wasnt your first choice. Schools do not want to accept someone who will not end up going messing up their yield numbers which are used to judge schools.

There seems to be this idea that the school has declined to admit you outright for some reason. This is far from certain - it may be as simple as "we decided these were the N students we would admit".

1. Why was I waitlisted for UMN Twin Cities?

Being waitlisted means that the university has not yet made a final decision on your application. This could be due to a high volume of applicants or if your application is missing certain materials.

2. What are my chances of getting off the waitlist?

Unfortunately, there is no way to accurately predict your chances of getting off the waitlist. It ultimately depends on the number of students who accept their offers of admission and if there is space available in the program.

3. Can I contact the admissions office to inquire about my waitlist status?

Yes, you can contact the admissions office to inquire about your waitlist status. However, it is important to follow their instructions and respect their decision. Constantly contacting them or sending additional materials may hurt your chances of being admitted.

4. What can I do to increase my chances of getting off the waitlist?

You can update your application with any new achievements or relevant information. Additionally, you can show your continued interest in the university by attending any waitlist information sessions or sending a letter of continued interest.

5. Is there a deadline for the university to make a decision on the waitlist?

Yes, the university typically has a deadline by which they will make a decision on the waitlist. This deadline varies depending on the university and program, so it is important to check with the admissions office for more information.