Pushing a 6kg Pic Against a Wall: Find the Force Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the static and kinetic friction coefficients between a wall and a picture, and how to calculate the force needed to prevent the picture from sliding. The formula F=mg/U is mentioned, but the speaker is unsure of how to interpret the second part of the question. They thank the other person for their help and feel confident in continuing on their own.
nix
i don't understand this..the way the forces go:frown:
if someone could show me how to do it and the steps..that would be great:
The static friction coefficient btw a wall and a pic is 0.7 while the kinetic one is 0.3. By what force shoudl one push the 6kg pic against the wall so that it will not slide?What if he/she pushed the pic with a force making an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal (both cases)[?]

thanx!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you draw a freebody diagram, you will find that for the picture to not slide,
U*F=m*g
must be true. To solve for F:
F=mg/U
m=6kg
g=9.8m/s^2
U=.7
So F=84N
But I can't be sure because I don't know if I understand what you mean and I don't know what you mean by the second part of the question.

thanx for the help
i think i can take it from here :smile:

1. What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is force = mass x acceleration, or F = ma.

2. What is the mass of the object being pushed?

The mass of the object being pushed is 6kg, as stated in the question.

3. How do I know how much force is needed to push the object against the wall?

In order to determine the force needed to push the object against the wall, you will need to know the acceleration of the object. Once you have both the mass and acceleration, you can plug those values into the formula F = ma to calculate the force needed.

4. Can you explain the concept of force in more detail?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In order for an object to accelerate, a force must be applied to it. The greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration will be.

5. What are the units of force?

The SI unit for force is the Newton (N). Other common units for force include pounds (lb) and kilogram-force (kgf).