Best way to learn science? (question)

• Thread starter Phycisists
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation discussed the best way to learn science, particularly complex subjects like quantum physics. The group agreed that the most effective method is by doing it, rather than relying on internet sources like Wikipedia. While some resources on the internet can be helpful, they should not be the primary source of learning. It was also mentioned that a book is meant to be slow and should be read and studied carefully, with emphasis on working through exercises and problems. The conversation also touched on the importance of having a good attention span and being willing to spend time thinking about and working on a topic. Specific recommendations for books on quantum physics were also requested.
Phycisists said:
I do not have any trouble reading a book (besides the fact that I get bored easily depending on which one it is), my main problem is when it comes to problem solving. I usually immedietly shut off and leave the task unsolved but this occurs only with maths/physics. Is this a serious problem if I want to pursue a career in the scientific field?

You want to do a little reading about neuroplasticity. Your brain adapts to what you do. What this means is that if you spend lots of time playing video games then your brain adapts to optimize the skills needed for that. Patient deep problem solving (what you have to get good at for science) is kind of the opposite of what you are training your brain to be good at. Video games, at least twitch games, teach you to get good at solving problems instinctually and quickly; it's do that or you're dead.

Ultimately getting good at science means spending lots of time doing what scientists do. Unless you are prepared to do that, unless you want to do that, you are unlikely to get anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me repeat some of my earlier advise...

ModusPwnd said:
Honestly, if you have a poor attention span and have only read one book in your life then I think you need to practice reading and developing an attention span. Otherwise any sort of academic venture will be out of your reach. I think you need to work on the ability to sit down in a quiet room and read for a few hours and finish books.

You don't need to start with science and math texts. Start with kids books. Read the Harry Potter series or something similar. Work your way into spending longer and longer times reading. Avoid distractions like music or TV, you want to train your brain to be capable of maintaining with moderate and even low stimulation. I like what IGU posted above me about "neuroplasticity". That which you spend your day doing is what you are training your brain to do.

ModusPwnd said:
Let me repeat some of my earlier advise...

You don't need to start with science and math texts. Start with kids books. Read the Harry Potter series or something similar. Work your way into spending longer and longer times reading. Avoid distractions like music or TV, you want to train your brain to be capable of maintaining with moderate and even low stimulation. I like what IGU posted above me about "neuroplasticity". That which you spend your day doing is what you are training your brain to do.

It's not that I have any problem reading, it's just that I'm very selective so I won't read a book if it's not for example ScI-Fi which I absolutely like mostly.

I have to agree with your thought involving neuroplasticity, my brain is probably adapted to instinctively know how to solve a problem, especially problems that are considered to be short which my brain is adapted to.

I think my main problem is about the video games, too bad I'm a bit too addicted.

Regarding maths/physics know, how can I become self sufficient in those two topics? I find it easy to learn it but difficult to master (solving hard problems, especially long ones probably due to neuroplasticity) without being provided with help.

Do I simply try to solve the basic ones and go through them till I'm at the harder ones? They're usually expecting different skills which I didn't learn from solving the simple ones, which makes me inadequate to solve the more complex ones. Your thoughts?

Also I forgot to mention that you're all being helpful and I appreciate it.

Regarding maths/physics know, how can I become self sufficient in those two topics? I find it easy to learn it but difficult to master (solving hard problems, especially long ones probably due to neuroplasticity) without being provided with help.
Then get help.

Seriously, you have already received answers to those questions.

Phycisists said:

Do I simply try to solve the basic ones and go through them till I'm at the harder ones? They're usually expecting different skills which I didn't learn from solving the simple ones, which makes me inadequate to solve the more complex ones. Your thoughts?

Also I forgot to mention that you're all being helpful and I appreciate it.

Read the quote I posted from Mary Boas's text:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4308901&postcount=4

There are no shortcuts! Your continued asking of the same question repeatedly tells me that you do not want to accept the hard work that you were told you need in the many answers that you were given.

If this is true, I strongly suggest that you consider another line of career.

Zz.

Maybe a career in the humanities, such as English, Art, History, or Child Development is best for you? :)

I usually repeat myself without noticing it, can't really control it at times and theoretical physics is pretty much the only thing I'm interested in. I also repeat without noticing because I want clear instructions which I sometimes do not comprehend immedietely.

Sorry for the repetition.

I get the sense that you're attempting to learn at an unreasonable rate. I was similar a few years ago, I spent more time searching for the best/fastest ways to learn than actually learning the math and physics itself. It's similar to reading a chapter and constantly checking how many pages you have left. You have to just slow down. Wanting to learn so fast is most likely what's making you feel restless(because it's not as fast as you would like) and causing you to lose focus when reading a textbook.

As for materials, I found that watching lectures and simply googling topics which usually lead you to this site, supplements(not replaces) a book quite well. Unless you're somehow finding a multitude of appropriate exercises online, you need a book. You're still young, there's no reason to be trying to rush the learning. Attempting to shortcut will result in much more time being spent because the topics won't be solid. You'll be filling holes in previous topics over and over and it's just inefficient. There are suggested sequences posted all over this site, just follow them and be honest with yourself and don't move on until you have a firm grasp of the material.

Also, I don't know if this was asked already, but why not simply attend a university for physics?

malignant said:
... spent more time searching for the best/fastest ways to learn than actually learning the math and physics itself.

I have had similar experience. That's a killer thing. Many of the people who are trying to self learn are likely to fall in this trap.

And for someone who says
Phycisists said:
I want to become a theoretical physicist
... he/she should, as malignant commented -

malignant said:
just slow down
and

malignant said:
simply attend a university for physics

Last edited:
Wikipedia is good for people who want to just get an idea about one fact or another. However, it's useless to people who are studying a subject in depth. This is because anyone with a Wikipedia account can alter the information. Therefore it is an unreliable source.

It is best to use BBC Bitesize or a similar website if studying via Internet is your preference.

I have tried a million different ways then realized that the best way to learn physics (to get good grades) is to simply do the questions in the textbook. As many as possible.

I am currently using Halliday and Resnick physics textbook and the questions are great for preparing for exams. A full solutions manual is essential though.

I absolutely agree with you. I have used this method in mathematics — did as many questions as possible. I can assure you in the effectiveness of this tactic as long as you've got consistency. When it comes to real success, that is the key.

What I did and doing currently, is start work at a certain hour, and keep to that schedule. To achieve results, you have to be consistent and do those questions for at least an hour every day. If you miss a day for one reason or another, your regime will be disrupted, you'd have to start again.

Andrew Tsvyk said:
I absolutely agree with you. I have used this method in mathematics — did as many questions as possible. I can assure you in the effectiveness of this tactic as long as you've got consistency. When it comes to real success, that is the key.

What I did and doing currently, is start work at a certain hour, and keep to that schedule. To achieve results, you have to be consistent and do those questions for at least an hour every day. If you miss a day for one reason or another, your regime will be disrupted, you'd have to start again.

It is a simple and efficient method but highly effective. I know people that use highlighters, fancy notes, and some really weird methods to study like writing stuff on the wall or reading out load, etc.

It is best to just do what you actually need to do well. You're not going to take your fancy notes with you into the exam but you are going to take your problem solving skills with you into the exams.

The only practical way to learn physics is to do a physics degree. It's a really, really hard subject! You need all the resources you can find. The first resource needed is a University, with actual physicists on hand to answer the many questions you will have, set course work, give lectures, give continual direction, etc... You also need a library & University Bookshop full of books to access, for the many times when your textbook, and other resources, just doesn't do it for you. If none of these resources help you, then you might try the internet, but it's a last resort, mostly best avoided, and not likely to work.

If you feel dumb because you can't understand Wikipedia articles, don't feel dumb. It's the Wikipedia articles, not you - they are, mostly, like notes made by a very terse graduate student for himself, and then made more obscure by other graduate students adding their notes at random. Most other internet resources are usually lecture summaries, and need a lecturer to fill them out in lectures, or an actual textbook (or 10), to be of any real use.