Iranian is first woman to nab highest prize in maths

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
In summary, the four recipients of the Fields medals are: Maryam Mirzakhani (Iran), Avila Bhargava (India), Haier Qin (China), and Mirzakhani's friend, Aresh Tehrany (USA). Mirzakhani, the first female recipient in over forty years, is an Iranian mathematician who has made significant contributions to dynamical systems, geometry of numbers, and the solution of equations of the type that describe many physical phenomena.
Lisa!
Gold Member
Maryam-Mirzakhani-008.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...-mirzakhani-fields-medal-winner-mathematician

Physics news on Phys.org
The International Mathematical Union (IMU) has revealed on its website the winners of the 2014 Fields medals, considered the highest honour in mathematics. The four young medallists — including Maryam Mirzakhani, the first female winner since the prizes were established in 1936 — have been selected for their contributions to topics ranging from dynamical systems to the geometry of numbers and the solution of equations of the type that describe many physical phenomena.

Full professor of Stanford at the age of 31, the first woman to win the "Nobel prize of mathematics".

News:
http://www.nature.com/news/iranian-is-first-woman-to-nab-highest-prize-in-maths-1.15686

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Ycv05Q4Ao

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryam_Mirzakhani

Last edited:
From wmac's wiki link:

Mirzakhani found international recognition as a brilliant teenager after receiving gold medals at both the 1994 International Mathematical Olympiad (Hong Kong) and the 1995 International Mathematical Olympiad (Toronto), where she was the first Iranian student to finish with a perfect score.

Wow, she's not even 40 yet! She's an extraordinary person.

lisab said:
Wow, she's not even 40 yet! She's an extraordinary person.

The stipulation of the fields medal is it must be awarded to young mathematicians so everyone who receives it is below that age. But good for her. She is clearly both hard working and incredibly brilliant which is the perfect combination. These IMO medalists are ridiculously talented people and for her to be IMO brilliant and research brilliant is plain awesome.

She's my friend's friend! That's why I was so excited!

Quite a remarkable thing to wake up to.

She really likes surfaces. Anyone know specifics of her research?

Check the wiki page, I guess it points to publications etc.

Its good to see people from my country getting that high in science. I hope I'll see more. In fact I hope I'll be one such person!

Does anyone on this forum understand the work of this person?

Last edited:
:smile:

1. Who is the first Iranian woman to win the highest prize in mathematics?

The first Iranian woman to win the highest prize in mathematics is Maryam Mirzakhani.

2. What is the significance of this achievement?

This achievement is significant because it marks the first time that a woman from Iran has won the highest prize in mathematics, known as the Fields Medal.

3. What is the Fields Medal?

The Fields Medal is a prestigious award given out every four years to recognize outstanding achievements in the field of mathematics. It is often referred to as the "Nobel Prize of Mathematics".

4. What was Mirzakhani's contribution to mathematics?

Mirzakhani's contribution to mathematics was in the field of complex geometry and dynamical systems. She made significant breakthroughs in the understanding of the symmetry of curved surfaces.

5. Is Mirzakhani the only woman to win the Fields Medal?

No, Mirzakhani is not the only woman to win the Fields Medal. She is one of only four women to have received this prestigious award since it was first established in 1936.