GRE for applying to undergraduate unversities

In summary, at 18 years old, taking the GRE exam would not guarantee a scholarship as it is typically used for graduate study and not for college applications. It would be more beneficial to focus on doing well on the SAT or ACT exams, which are commonly used for undergraduate admissions and scholarships. Additionally, the GRE is mainly used by universities in the US and possibly Canada.
ishmael 13.7
I'm 18 years old and I would like to know if it is possible to me to take the GRE exam
and let's assume I passed the exam and got a good score
would that guarantee me a scholarship?

Physics news on Phys.org
No and no.

The GRE exams are for graduate study. At 18 years, you are probably thinking of college? For those, one usually takes the SAT or ACT examinations.

There would be no point. You'd be better off focusing your efforts on aceing the sat or act. If you got a good score on the gre, most undergrad scholarships would not know what to think of it and you'd be thrown into a pile of outliers that likely would not get any scholarship, even if you passed it with a great score.

Also note that these exams are used only by universities in the US, as far as I know. Maybe also Canada.

1. What is the GRE and why is it required for undergraduate university applications?

The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test that is commonly used for admission to graduate and business schools. Some undergraduate universities may also require the GRE for admissions, particularly for certain programs or scholarships. The test measures critical thinking, analytical writing, and verbal and quantitative reasoning skills, and is used as an indicator of academic potential.

2. How do I register for the GRE?

You can register for the GRE online through the official website of the Educational Testing Service (ETS). You will need to create an account, select a test date and location, and pay the registration fee. It is recommended to register for the test at least 2-3 months in advance to allow ample time for preparation.

3. What is the format of the GRE?

The GRE consists of three sections: Analytical Writing, Verbal Reasoning, and Quantitative Reasoning. The Analytical Writing section includes two essays, the Verbal Reasoning section has two 30-minute multiple choice sections, and the Quantitative Reasoning section has two 35-minute multiple choice sections. There is also an unscored section that could be either verbal or quantitative, and an optional research section. The total testing time is about 3 hours and 45 minutes.

4. How is the GRE scored?

The GRE is scored on a scale of 130-170 for both the verbal and quantitative reasoning sections, and on a scale of 0-6 for the analytical writing section. The scores are based on the number of correct answers and the difficulty level of the questions. The unscored section does not count towards the final score, but the research section may be included in the score if the test taker agrees to participate. Scores are valid for 5 years.

5. What is a good score on the GRE for undergraduate university applications?

The average GRE scores for undergraduate university applicants vary depending on the institution and program. However, a good score is generally considered to be above the 50th percentile, which is around 150 for both verbal and quantitative reasoning sections. A good score on the analytical writing section is usually above a 4.0. It is important to research the average GRE scores for your desired universities and programs to determine what score would be considered competitive.