What are some practical hobbies for a student studying nanoscience?

• Thread starter MrNano
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientific
In summary: I found a channel called 'The Cosmic Perspective' which is basically a guy who takes apart old cameras and televisions to understand how they work. It's really fascinating, and I've been watching a lot of his videos.In summary, the OP wants to find an IMpractical hobby to keep him occupied between school and work. He found a channel that he likes and recommends others explore similar channels for fun.
MrNano
As autumn arrives i tend to get depressed. Last weeks have been hell for me, literally, as I have nothing to do between study sessions, I end up wasting hours on youtube watching stupid crap. My solution is to find a hobby, something productive and stimulating that I can do on a regular basis. I do study at university, so I tend to do a lot of reading. Preferably my hobby would be something practical, like doing scientific experiments and such, however I have no clue where to begin, implicating in my one and only idea - I am going to go through the entire periodic system, starting with hydrogen, to take notes and learn about each and every element.

My question is, before starting with this journey, does anyone know anything else, more practical I can spend my hours on?

(I am currently studying nanoscience and yes, I am socially regressed)

Sincerely

Physics news on Phys.org
Build a robot that automatically vacuum cleans your flat.

You know your own interests better than anyone else knows. What do YOU want to do?

Just some ideas that might motivate you:
Physical fitness conditioning,
Making of bread, beer, wine, yogurt,
Learning a computer programming language and creating simple or not so simple programs.
...?

I do actually train four times a week, and also I have read some programming courses at the university. My big interests are obviously physics and chemistry, but I do really not know what to do during my free time

symbolipoint said:
You know your own interests better than anyone else knows. What do YOU want to do?

Just some ideas that might motivate you:
Physical fitness conditioning,
Making of bread, beer, wine, yogurt,
Learning a computer programming language and creating simple or not so simple programs.
...?

I like this. The OP said he wanted to find something practical, but he's going to expend enough time and effort on practical things in his career. A hobby should be something else. Brew beer like Sym. said (I do this), learn to play blues guitar, ballroom dancing, try Crossfit, join a bowling league.

Even though you describe yourself as socially regressed, I recommend doing something social. In ballroom dancing surprisingly you'll find many scientists and engineers, often very introverted. Of course you also find over-the-top extroverts but somehow the context makes the mixture of different personality types work. I'm as big a dork as anyone but I can cut some serious rug.

There are other things, too; book clubs, wine tasting, camping, bicycling either solo or in groups.

Whatever you do, don't watch anymore lolcatz videos, and don't spend time at home doing more of what you are going to be doing in the lab. Your hobby should be something different, something IMpractical.

That's my two bits.

Likes 1 person
KenBakerMN said:
I like this. The OP said he wanted to find something practical, but he's going to expend enough time and effort on practical things in his career. A hobby should be something else. Brew beer like Sym. said (I do this), learn to play blues guitar, ballroom dancing, try Crossfit, join a bowling league.
Even though you describe yourself as socially regressed, I recommend doing something social. In ballroom dancing surprisingly you'll find many scientists and engineers, often very introverted. Of course you also find over-the-top extroverts but somehow the context makes the mixture of different personality types work. I'm as big a dork as anyone but I can cut some serious rug.
There are other things, too; book clubs, wine tasting, camping, bicycling either solo or in groups.
Whatever you do, don't watch anymore lolcatz videos, and don't spend time at home doing more of what you are going to be doing in the lab. Your hobby should be something different, something IMpractical.
That's my two bits.
I think you are right, I have an old keyboard at my parents house, maybe I should bring it to my apartment and start practicing piano.

MrNano said:
I do actually train four times a week, and also I have read some programming courses at the university. My big interests are obviously physics and chemistry, but I do really not know what to do during my free time

Making yogurt or bread is a microbiological-based activity or "hobby" and being too technical is not too necessary.

Making beer or wine is more scientific and also still microbiological, since cleanliness and care about conditions are much more important. With beer, you have grain mashing, air-locking, specific gravity measurement (which could be excluded if you are patient and careful enough), and bottling. The sanitizing processes require much effort.

Ham radio http://www.arrl.org/
Learn electronics, talk to people around the world. Its can be as simple or technical as you want, and you can learn a lot of physics.

I became slightly too addicted to pleasure reading over this summer, but it's kept me off the internet which I can only see as a positive. Recently I've started using my Raspberry Pi my uncle bought me a year back but didn't have time to commit. They are cheap, "nifty" (the best word to describe them) and are designed to help teach programming and interactions with electronics. There are plenty of magazines and websites devoted to finding small projects for Rasp-Pi. Maybe something like that OP.

Read novels?

I recommend The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens as the ultimate mood raiser. If you're not used to Victorian novels, maybe start with H.G. Wells science fiction stories, or R.L. Stephenson - not as funny or deep as Dickens but easier to read to ease yourself in.

For you in particular, I would recommend the Periodic Table by Primo Levi - he's a great literary writer as well as a superb chemist and science populariser. Uncle Tungsten by Oliver Sacks is another work in that area.

1. What is a scientific hobby?

A scientific hobby is a recreational activity that involves using scientific methods and principles to explore and understand the natural world. This can include activities such as collecting specimens, conducting experiments, or observing and documenting natural phenomena.

2. Why is having a scientific hobby beneficial?

A scientific hobby can provide numerous benefits, such as developing critical thinking skills, enhancing problem-solving abilities, and promoting a deeper understanding and appreciation of the natural world. It can also be a source of personal fulfillment and satisfaction.

3. Do I need a science background to have a scientific hobby?

No, a science background is not necessary to have a scientific hobby. While having a basic understanding of scientific concepts can be helpful, anyone can engage in scientific activities and experiments as a hobby. There are also many resources available online and in books that can guide beginners in their scientific pursuits.

4. What are some popular scientific hobbies?

Some popular scientific hobbies include birdwatching, gardening, astronomy, and photography. Other examples include amateur mycology (study of fungi), geology, and entomology (study of insects).

5. How can I get started with a scientific hobby?

To get started with a scientific hobby, you can first identify a specific area of interest within the sciences, such as biology, chemistry, or physics. Then, you can research and gather materials or equipment needed, join a local club or organization, or attend workshops or classes to learn more about your chosen hobby. It's also important to remember to always be safe and follow proper procedures when conducting scientific experiments.