When should I do my second degree?

• Programs
  • Thread starter DatGoldenAss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the speaker is currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in Physics and has chosen elective subjects mostly in Mathematics. They are unsure whether to prioritize completing both degrees simultaneously or taking the courses they are most interested in, which may result in an additional year of study. They are seeking advice on how to manage their workload and whether they should apply for an extended degree program. They are advised to speak to a college representative or a professor for guidance.
DatGoldenAss
I am currently doing my bachelor's degree in Physics and my elective subjects are most of the mathematics subjects needed to complete a bachelor's degree in Mathematics. All I basically need is one first year statistics course.

The thing is that I am unsure if I should choose my subjects for third year in such a way that I complete both degrees at the same time. If I do I would be missing out on some of the mathematics that I really want to take (mathematics that would benefit me in physics but that is not core modules for mathematics).

If I do rather take the mathematics courses I want to take I shall have one First year and 2 third year subjects outstanding for a degree in mathematics. I am not worried about doing the work, as I love mathematics possibly more than physics, I am just unsure about how it will fit into my studies.

Will it be possible to do those subjects while I am busy with my honors degree in physics? Should I rather take the year after my Bachelor's in Physics to do my Mathematics degree, and only then do my honors? Should I perhaps apply for an extended degree so that I can take all the subjects that I need an want to take for my two degrees?

I am a bit lost on this and any advise on which path I should take in continuing my studies will be greatly appreciated

-The Golden One

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
There is no ideal here.
It is hard to judge for you - honors tends to be pretty intense, ask anyone, but you are already doing two degrees so maybe the workload of taking undergrad papers and honors may not be daunting for you. Whichever way you go, it looks like you won't have a life ;)

Best advise, I'm afraid, is to talk to someone at your college - the person responsible for the honors program would probably be best. If you have a good relationship with a prof, ask them. They'll know you and the college and will be able to look at your transcript.

My university required me to graduate with both my diplomas at the same time...check that this may or may not be the case for you. Contact the registrar.

1. When is the best time to pursue a second degree?

The best time to pursue a second degree varies for each individual and depends on their personal circumstances. Some may choose to do it immediately after completing their first degree, while others may wait until they have gained some work experience.

2. Will having a second degree increase my chances of getting a job?

Having a second degree can certainly make you more competitive in the job market. It shows employers that you have a diverse skill set and are committed to continuously learning and improving yourself.

3. Can I do a second degree in a different field than my first degree?

Yes, you can pursue a second degree in a different field than your first. This can be beneficial if you want to switch career paths or gain a deeper understanding of a different subject.

4. How long does it take to complete a second degree?

The length of time to complete a second degree can vary depending on the program and the number of credits you transfer from your first degree. On average, it can take 2-3 years for a full-time student.

5. Can I work while completing a second degree?

Yes, you can work while completing a second degree. Many programs offer flexible schedules or online options to accommodate students who may have work or other commitments. However, it's important to carefully balance your workload to ensure academic success.