What's Coming in Physics Forums 4.0?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, some exciting changes are on the horizon for Physics Forums! This notice is intended to give you a heads up on what to expect in the coming weeks. Plans have now been laid for the coming of Physics Forums 4.0, which will be the biggest improvement to Physics Forums in 12 years. The migration to Xenforo will be done on September 19th, and there will be lots of broken functionality in the beginning. Please be patient and let us know if you have any questions.
dlgoff said:
But there may be many old members that do?
I should say that I pretty much hate change if what I have works, but I don't fear it. Now, that doesn't mean I don't like something better, but what I think is better and what someone else thinks is better often aren't the same. :smile:

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I should say that I pretty much hate change if what I have works, but I don't fear it. Now, that doesn't mean I don't like something better, but what I think is better and what someone else thinks is better often aren't the same. :smile:

As an example, pretty much everything Microsoft did to Excel, Word, and Access after version 2000 made things more complicated, even if they were supposedly "easier". You shouldn't need a learning curve to upgrade.

LCKurtz said:
As an example, pretty much everything Microsoft did to Excel, Word, and Access after version 2000 made things more complicated, even if they were supposedly "easier". You shouldn't need a learning curve to upgrade.
Exactly, older versions of many things were far better. All of the bells and whistles that are added are, for me, just junk that I don't use, and in many cases the great things I really loved went away. Oh well. One man's meat is another man's poison. :smile: I will be quiet now.

You could show us a screenshot of PF 4.0 homepage...

I don't know if this has been asked before: how will the urls of threads/posts change? Will it be possible to easily adapt old bookmarks?

What the hell is going on I can't understand the ANYTHING.

kith said:
I don't know if this has been asked before: how will the urls of threads/posts change? Will it be possible to easily adapt old bookmarks?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4834828&postcount=26 --> Page 2 of this thread.

Mr.maniac said:
What the hell is going on I can't understand the ANYTHING.

Have you tried reading this thread? Perhaps it might help..

DataGG said:
You could show us a screenshot of PF 4.0 homepage...

No, I don't want the complaining to start early :D

kith said:

All thread URLs will be automatically redirected to the new address

Greg Bernhardt said:
No, I don't want the complaining to start early :D
:rofl:

Awesome news. I can't wait to post on the new forums :D. Everyone here is very helpful and this is my go-to place to learn more difficult math/science.

Thank you.

Evo is opening chat on Thursday. I'll be in chat hosting a Q&A Thursday night from about 8-9pm -5 GMT.

What are VMs and Blog-entries?

Mayank_Jha said:
What are VMs and Blog-entries?

VMs are visitor messages (i.e. messages people post publicly on your profile).

Blog entries are posts you created in your blog, found at https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Rocket50 said:
Blog entries are posts you created in your blog, found at https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php

Attention Blog Owners: The blog system is scheduled to be removed September 2nd. Please copy your blog entries that you wish to save. Feel free to post them in the forums. Thanks!

:confused:

Isn't this September 16?

Last edited by a moderator:
adjacent said:
:confused:

Isn't this September 16?

I think they are getting removed with the PF 4.0 update.

When somebody posts to a threat that I have already been in I tend to not take any alert of knowing it. Also when I receive a private message I don't usually get informed after having refreshed my browser. Does this upcoming version improve these weaknesses at all?

PaulDirac said:
When somebody posts to a threat that I have already been in I tend to not take any alert of knowing it. Also when I receive a private message I don't usually get informed after having refreshed my browser. Does this upcoming version improve these weaknesses at all?

It's amazing that none had picked that username until you came, just about a month ago.. Good Find!

I've also noticed that "MY PF" seems to be bugged for the last few days.. I'm positive the new version (xenforo) will address that. I'm a member on some Xenforo forums and the alert system is flawless. I'm not sure about the PM thing though. Just wait a day and check for yourself :P

EDIT: For example, in the new PF, you would have been notified that I quoted you in this thread..

Nice one, Greg. Can't wait for 4.0!
Now, back to lurking...

PaulDirac said:

Posting threats is against the rules. :)

The admin Greg Bernhardt should explain:)

PaulDirac said:
The admin Greg Bernhardt should explain:)

You will get an alert in the new version and the alert system will auto check without you having to refresh, every 20 seconds or so.

PaulDirac said:

In XF, you will have a notification bubble next to the "Alerts" on the nav bar that indicates that you have alerts (and the quantity), such as when you were quoted in a post, tagged in a post, a reply was made to a thread you are subscribed in, etc. Some of these are configurable on the admin side. These alerts get cleared when you hover over the Alerts item and see the drop-down list.

Also similarly, when you receive a message via a conversation, you will have an similar notification bubble next to "Inbox" on the nav bar for any unread messages (including quantity), and this does not go away until you actually read the message (meaning, hovering over them does not clear the notification like it does with Alerts)

PaulDirac said:
Those things depend on the user settings, you can change that now.

I've seen many Xenforo websites. Excellent framework, quite a step up from vBulletin in terms of versality and aesthetics. Hope the transition goes smoothly.

Hello Greg ,

Suggestion for PF 4.0 : The Non Gold members do not always get the "Delete" option while editing the post (within a limited time period) .Sometimes I see a "Delete" button , sometimes I don't .This happened to me a couple of times when I had to delete the contents of the post and then report the post so that some mentor/admin could delete it.Quite unnecessary two step process .

I would request you to give this option (i.e Delete in the edit option) to all the members in PF 4.0 .

Last edited:
Vibhor said:
Hello Greg ,

The Non Gold members do not always get the "Delete" option while editing the post (within a limited time period) .Sometimes I see a "Delete" button , sometimes I don't .This happened to me a couple of times when I had to delete the contents of the post and then report the post so that some mentor/admin could delete it.Quite unnecessary two step process .

I would request you to give this option (i.e Delete in the edit option) to all the members in PF 4.0 .

The delete option while editing is available, as far as I'm aware, to all members. However, as you say, there is a time-limit to do this.

StevieTNZ said:
The delete option while editing is available, as far as I'm aware, to all members. However, as you say, there is a time-limit to do this.

I am not sure if it is a bug or something else ,but "Delete" doesn't always show when the edit button is clicked .

But I agree it shows everytime if one is a Gold Member (just like you) .Regarding the time limit ,it is for the "Edit" option .

For a Non Gold member like me it doesn't always come .

Vibhor said:
I am not sure if it is a bug or something else ,but "Delete" doesn't always show when the edit button is clicked .

But I agree it shows everytime if one is a Gold Member (just like you) .Regarding the time limit ,it is for the "Edit" option .

For a Non Gold member like me it doesn't always come .

That's the same for me. For example my first edit won't let me delete the post. When I edit it a second time, it will give me the option.

It really doesn't make sense discussing the old system.

So when will the count down begin? And will there be fireworks? :biggrin:

Monique said:
So when will the count down begin? And will there be fireworks? :biggrin:

T-Minus 36 hours :)

I'm sure there will be plenty of fireworks!

(In the form of "How the #*$^% do I do _________?")

It should be noted that you'll have to login after migrate. If you have forgotten your password please change it now. Also make sure your email that you have entered in your account is active.