Why does bromine not have neutral polar charge?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the polar charge of bromine in a symmetrical molecule. It is stated that Br2 has zero dipole moment and can only have an induced charge due to its polarizability. There is also mention of the charge distribution in the addition of bromine to alkenes/alkynes in organic chemistry.
JohnnyTheFox
Hey, simple question, can't find an answer anywhere in my books. Why does bromine not have neutral polar charge? When its a symetrical molecule? Ta

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you are asking why Br2 is a polar molecule, the only answer to that is : "uhhhh ?"

Br2 is very much a non-polar molecule (or there's something extremely unusual here) - it has zero dipole moment.

Who told you otherwise ? Please provide an exact source or quote if you can.

You can induce a charge on Br2 since it is anisotropically polarizable. Also if I remember correctly the mechanism for addition of bromine to alkenes/alkynes as it was taught in my organic chem course, the rate limiting step occurs when the charge distribution is slightly favored toward one bromine atom(though it was never explained WHY this occurs - one of my many beefs with how organic chem is taught). Perhaps Johnny meant somethng along those lines.

1. Why is bromine considered a nonpolar molecule?

Bromine does not have a neutral polar charge because it has an equal number of protons and electrons, resulting in a balanced distribution of charge. This means that the molecule does not have a dipole moment and is therefore considered nonpolar.

2. How does the electron configuration of bromine contribute to its lack of polar charge?

The electron configuration of bromine, with seven valence electrons in its outer shell, results in a stable octet when it forms covalent bonds. This means that the molecule does not need to gain or lose electrons to achieve a balanced charge, leading to its nonpolar nature.

3. Is bromine's nonpolar nature related to its position on the periodic table?

Yes, bromine's position in the halogen family of the periodic table indicates that it has a high electronegativity and tends to form covalent bonds with other elements rather than ionic bonds. This contributes to its nonpolar nature.

4. Why does bromine have a lower boiling point compared to other halogens?

Bromine has a lower boiling point due to its larger atomic size and weaker intermolecular forces compared to other halogens. This allows the molecules to break apart and vaporize more easily at lower temperatures.

5. Can bromine ever have a polar charge?

In certain situations, bromine can have a partial polar charge. This occurs when it is bonded to a more electronegative atom, such as oxygen or nitrogen, in a polar covalent bond. However, overall, bromine does not have a neutral polar charge and is considered a nonpolar molecule.