What is the stoping voltage

• Thread starter bayan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the conversation involved a person seeking help with a physics problem related to the stopping voltage of a UV light hitting a clean gold surface with a work function of 5.1v. They have found the frequency and know the work function, but are having trouble making sense of the equations when put together. Another person suggests posting in the homework section and asks why the equations do not make sense. The original person agrees that the equations look okay so far.
bayan
Hi everyone.

I came across with a problem in my question book which was

"what is the stoping voltage when a UV ligh with WaveLength 200nm hits a clean gold surface.(5.1v Work Function.)"

I have found the frequency which is [tex]1.5^15 Hz[/tex] I know the [tex]W[/tex] Therefore I can let [tex]Ekmax=(hf)-W[/tex] and [tex]Ekmax=qV[/tex]

But when I put the equations together they don't make any sense to me.
[tex]V=\frac{(hf)-W}{q}[/tex]

Can someone help me through this please

Physics news on Phys.org
1.You should have posted this in the homework section.

2.Why don't they make any sense?

It looks okay so far.

Daniel.

The stopping voltage, also known as the cutoff voltage, is the minimum voltage required to stop the flow of electrons from a metal surface when it is exposed to electromagnetic radiation. In this case, the UV light with a wavelength of 200nm is incident on a clean gold surface with a work function of 5.1v. The frequency of the UV light is 1.5^15 Hz.

To calculate the stopping voltage, we can use the equation V = (hf - W)/q, where V is the stopping voltage, h is Planck's constant, f is the frequency of the incident light, W is the work function, and q is the charge of an electron.

In this case, we know all the values except for V. Substituting the given values, we get V = ((6.626 x 10^-34 J*s)(1.5 x 10^15 Hz) - (5.1 eV)(1.602 x 10^-19 J/eV)) / (1.602 x 10^-19 C)

Simplifying, we get V = 2.49 volts. This means that the stopping voltage for this scenario is 2.49 volts. This is the minimum voltage required to stop the flow of electrons from the gold surface when exposed to UV light with a wavelength of 200nm.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of stopping voltage for you. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

1. What is the stoping voltage?

The stoping voltage, also known as the stopping potential, is the minimum amount of voltage required to completely stop the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is typically measured in volts (V) and is a crucial aspect of studying the photoelectric effect.

2. How is the stoping voltage related to the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light. The stoping voltage is directly related to the energy of the photons in the incident light, and it is used to determine the energy of the electrons emitted in the photoelectric process.

3. What factors affect the value of the stoping voltage?

The value of the stoping voltage is affected by the intensity and frequency of the incident light, as well as the properties of the material being used. Higher intensity or frequency of light will result in a higher stoping voltage, while different materials will have different threshold voltages.

4. How is the stoping voltage measured?

The stoping voltage is measured by gradually increasing the voltage in a circuit until the electric current is completely stopped. This is typically done by adjusting a variable resistor or changing the voltage of the power supply. The voltage at which the current stops is then recorded as the stoping voltage.

5. Why is the stoping voltage important in understanding electricity?

The stoping voltage is important because it helps us understand the relationship between light and electricity. It also allows us to determine the energy levels of electrons in different materials and study the behavior of electrons in circuits. Additionally, the photoelectric effect and the concept of stoping voltage have many applications, such as in solar panels and photocells.