Exploring the Multiverse: The Possibility of Other Universes

• Thread starter Critical_Pedagogy
  • Start date
In summary, there is some speculation that multiple universes exist in a higher-level multiverse, our Universe being one of those universes.
Critical_Pedagogy
I was thinking this exact same thing, glad to see other people have the same idea as me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe

Multiverse

"There is some speculation that multiple universes exist in a higher-level multiverse (also known as a megaverse), our Universe being one of those universes (lower case). For example, matter that falls into a black hole in our Universe could emerge as a "Big Bang," starting another universe. However, all such ideas are currently untestable and cannot be regarded as anything more than speculation."

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well if it was not possible to detect these other universes, then they might as well not exist...but my opinion is that other universes do exist but some are completely lifeless though and some might actually have life on every other planet, some crazy random speculation here.

as David Deutsch has pointed out- it is not true that other universes are completely untesable and unreachable- it is just that it becomes exponentially EXPENSIVE to measure their effects-

basically this means that current notions define Reality as anything that can be observed within the limits of FUNDING (^__-)

Critical_Pedagogy said:
"For example, matter that falls into a black hole in our Universe could emerge as a 'Big Bang,' starting another universe."
I think this idea is outdated. In a recent paper on whether information can escape black holes (the conclusion was it can), Hawking stated:
There is no baby universe branching off, as I once thought. The information remains firmly in our universe. I'm sorry to disappoint science fiction fans, but if information is perserved, there is no possibility of using black holes to travel to other universes.
- http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0507171

I don't get it. The word Universe literally means "everything." The definition of a multiverse is nonsence.

yeah, i believe in two different planes but one universe.

semantics

it said my message was too short, so this is just to make it longer

true. tomato.

Enos said:
true. tomato.
Exactly. You say "tomato"; I say "Lycopersicon esculentum L.". It's all good. :biggrin:

Entropy said:
I don't get it. The word Universe literally means "everything." The definition of a multiverse is nonsence.

the word atom means indivisble and we all know that's not true. somethings just stick. multi-universes or a megaverse are just theories. most of which are very far-fetched. but there are still many people (me included) who believe in the possibility of parallel universes, white holes etc. and they're trying to prove it. cosmology now a days is kind of becoming a faith with all these new theories out there, no one knows wat to believe. we barely know the shape of our universe, let alone if there are any others like it...

btw, nice quote ellipse, i didnt know hawking said that.

εllipse said:
In a recent paper on whether information can escape black holes (the conclusion was it can), Hawking stated:- There is no baby universe branching off, as I once thought. The information remains firmly in our universe. I'm sorry to disappoint science fiction fans, but if information is perserved, there is no possibility of using black holes to travel to other universes.http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0507171

Who cares what Hawking thinks? Hawking is the John Kerry of science, flip-floppin all the time.

If Einstein listened to what Newton was saying, he would have never come up with Relativity.

Last edited:
Critical_Pedagogy said:
Who cares what Hawking thinks? I don't.

If Einstein listened to what Newton was saying, he would have never come up with Relativity.
Einstein didn't just ignore what his predecessors said; especially not Newton. Einstein realized that Maxwell's laws conflicted with Galilean mechanics, and he was bold enough to challenge Galilean mechanics based on his conviction that Maxwell's laws were more valid. But Einstein's first postulate for the special theory of relativity (the principle of relativity) is an expanded version of one that Galileo and Newton used.

And Hawking never said that there isn't a multiverse. He just stated that black holes cannot be used to travel between universes, and I think Hawking knows a tad more about black holes than you. Hawking pioneered the idea that black holes may create baby universes.

By the way, there have been some questions on the latest Hawking paper, and Hawking may even change his mind on this, but what he says is definitely not something to be ignored.

1. What is the multiverse theory?

The multiverse theory is the idea that there may be multiple universes, each with their own set of physical laws, dimensions, and realities. This theory suggests that our universe is just one of many possible universes that exist.

2. How is the multiverse theory supported?

Currently, the multiverse theory is not proven and is still a topic of debate in the scientific community. However, there are several theories and observations that suggest the possibility of multiple universes, such as the inflationary theory of the universe and the existence of parallel universes in quantum mechanics.

3. How can we explore other universes?

At this time, it is not possible to physically explore other universes as they are beyond our observable universe. Some scientists propose using advanced technology, such as wormholes or warp drives, to travel to other universes, but these theories are still highly speculative.

4. Are there any consequences of the multiverse theory?

The multiverse theory has significant implications for our understanding of reality and the laws of physics. If there are indeed multiple universes, it could mean that our universe is just one of many possible outcomes, and the laws of physics may vary in each universe. This could also challenge the concept of a singular, fundamental reality.

5. Is there any evidence for other universes?

While there is no direct evidence for other universes, some scientists point to the cosmic microwave background radiation and anomalies in cosmic structures as potential hints of the existence of other universes. However, more research and evidence are needed to confirm the multiverse theory.