Physics Homework Help: Solving a Cliff Height Problem in 3.4 Seconds

In summary, the problem involves finding the height of a cliff using the time it takes for a rock to fall and the speed of sound. The equation used is d = v*t + 1/2 * a * t^2, with v being the initial velocity (which is 0 for the falling rock) and a being the acceleration due to gravity. The time for the sound to travel back up is also considered, and by combining equations, the distance can be solved for. The solution also takes into account the relationship between the total time and the individual times for the fall and the sound to travel.
MC363A
i need help with this problem. I've tried for a while now and it is driving me crazy! I've tried about everything including using what little calculus i remember from last year! please help! the problem is: you are standing on a cliff and you drop a rock straight down, neglecting air resistance. you hear the rock hit the water 3.4 seconds later, if the speed of sound is 340 m/s, how high is the cliff. i would greatly appreciate any help, and as i have hit 2 or 3 dead ends that filled sheets of paper, i see it as pointless to put it on here. just trust me when i say i need a little insight. i tried to set it up as such: t = delta X / V = sqrt(2 deltaX/g) is there any truth to this equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm not quite sure how you got that equation

anyway here's how i would solve it
for the speed of sound to travel back up the distance traveled was teh height of the cliff so [tex] d = 340 t_{sound} [/tex]
now for the fall
v1 = 0
v2 = ?
a = -9.8m/s^2 (gravity points down, i took down to be negative, it doesn't matter whichever way you take it )
[itex] t_{fall} = ? [/itex]
now relate what u have to what you don't have. Also what u don't need can be omitted in that equation you form. How are [tex] t_{fall} and t_{sound} [/tex] related? Tfall is the time it took for hte stone to fall into the water. Tsound is the time it took for the sound to reach you. How long was this entire trip?

thats where i got my equation from. d = 1/2at1^2 therefore, t1 = sqrt(2d/g) and t2 = d/v(sound) t1+t2=t(total) therefore, (d/v)+sqrt(2d/g) = t(total) it's the rest of it i get messed up on, I've tried it severl times, and it appears you are hinting at this equation, a little insight?

this is how i did it
[tex] d = v_{1} t + \frac{1}{2} at_{fall}^2 [/tex]
v1 = 0 so
[tex] d = \frac{1}{2} (-9.8) t_{fall}^2 [/tex]...1
the speed of sound part
[tex] d = v_{sound} t_{sound} [/tex]
[tex] d = 340 t_{sound} [/tex]...2
so
[tex] t_{sound} + t_{fall} = 3.4 [/tex]...3

combine 1,2, and 3 and should should be able to solve for one of the times. Thus u can solve for the distance.

What is Physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe.

What topics does Physics cover?

Physics covers a wide range of topics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics. It also includes subfields such as astrophysics, biophysics, and nuclear physics.

How can I approach solving Physics problems?

It is important to understand the fundamental concepts and principles first. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Use equations and formulas that are relevant to the problem and always check the units to ensure they are consistent. Finally, practice and ask for help when needed.

What are some common misconceptions about Physics?

Some common misconceptions about Physics include thinking that it only applies to complex and abstract concepts, that it is too difficult to understand, or that it is only relevant to scientists. In reality, Physics can be applied to everyday situations and has practical applications in various fields.

Where can I find additional help with my Physics homework?

You can find additional help with your Physics homework through online resources such as textbooks, videos, and practice problems. You can also seek help from your teacher or a tutor, join study groups, or participate in online forums. It is important to actively seek help and not be afraid to ask questions.