PF Update to vB3.5 coming soon

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the site may be down for up to 4-5 hours, and there is a possibility that journal entries might not be carried over to the next version.
saltydog said:
Well I tell you what Honestrosewater, or HRW I think they call you, that's why an "Update Features" document would be helpful. I could have read it and known what you tell me now.
I'm sure Greg will post something like this soon. Please be patient as the admins are working on getting everything back to full functionality.

saltydog said:
Why is this even necessary? How many warnings you get? Why do you get a warning? Am I about to get a warning? I mean, sometimes . . . well . . . I say . . . what do you call um' . . . "unique" things in here? Are any of those inappropriate? I'd expect Hurkyl or SelfAdjoint at least to tell me if so.
Our warning policy is explained in the Physics Forums Guidelines, under the heading "Disciplinary action."

Physics news on Phys.org
hypnagogue said:
I'm sure Greg will post something like this soon. Please be patient as the admins are working on getting everything back to full functionality.

Our warning policy is explained in the Physics Forums Guidelines, under the heading "Disciplinary action."

Thanks. I'll read it.:blushing:

And I'm the type of person who usually reads the instruction manual. Like the time me and my son were putting together that wheelbarrow and he was having trouble getting going and I said: "Dawg, what is the first sentence on the first page of the instructions . . . next go to the second sentence . . . next go . . .". Well, you know what I mean.:smile:

Wait, I'm noticing more changes to the user-interface . . . what hacker wouldn't want to "go advanced". What's this?

Last edited:
hypnagogue said:

Alright, I read it. Thank you. To be fair to me, I do recall "briefly" running through that at some time in the past and my son is very good at putting things together now. He's 20.:smile:

saltydog said:
Hello Lisa . . . oh wait, I forgot the exclamation point. Here's a pretty one for you in LaTex:

[tex]\text{!}[/tex]

Tried those collard greens yet?
:bugeye: You have a very good memory!

saltydog said:
Wait, I'm noticing more changes to the user-interface . . . what hacker wouldn't want to "go advanced". What's this?
:uhh: That's not new. Feel free to click on things and see what happens. I don't think you can break anything. :biggrin:

Warnings have always been around, now there's just an easily visible bar so folks know how many they've accumulated (the closer to "full" the bar indicates, the closer to getting a vacation from PF). This seems to be the most popular question with the upgrade...I guess it makes folks nervous to see that bar there.

When you "go advanced" that means you're taken to a new screen to type your reply where you'll find the toolbars to help you format your reply...if you haven't memorized all the smiley codes either, you can click on smilies from that screen to insert them too. If you hold your mouse over the different icons, a little pop-up balloon should appear to tell you what each one is for.

The one big change is you can manage attachments from the toolbar instead of scrolling down to the bottom of the screen to do that. That's the button to the right of the white smiley face, and to the left of the undo/redo arrows (I don't know what it's supposed to look like because the icon doesn't display right for me for some reason, but the feature works, so who cares about an icon, right?).

If you edit a reply, you no longer are automatically taken to a new page. Instead, clicking the "edit" button let's you edit right in the window you're already in, which is very convenient if you only needed to fix a typo or something simple. You still have the option to "go advanced" if you need to fix formatting and don't know the codes or tags to use for that.

Any other new features you need explained?

Moonbear said:
If you edit a reply, you no longer are automatically taken to a new page. Instead, clicking the "edit" button let's you edit right in the window you're already in, which is very convenient if you only needed to fix a typo or something simple. You still have the option to "go advanced" if you need to fix formatting and don't know the codes or tags to use for that.

I can't edit my posts at all. I don't know if it's because I work on a Mac or what. Before these changes, I couldn't write in my journal. I didn't have much to say there, so it wasn't a problem, but I don't think I've ever written a perfect post the first time, so not being able to edit is a disaster. :frown:

Les Sleeth said:
I can't edit my posts at all. I don't know if it's because I work on a Mac or what. Before these changes, I couldn't write in my journal. I didn't have much to say there, so it wasn't a problem, but I don't think I've ever written a perfect post the first time, so not being able to edit is a disaster. :frown:
It's not a Mac issue since I use a Mac too. Though, what OS and browser are you using? I just upgraded to Tiger (OS 10.4) before the upgrade, and use Safari, so I don't know if there could be an issue with older versions of Mac OS or other browsers (I used to have really funky problems on OS 10.2 when browsing, and it had nothing to do with the browser I chose since I ran into the same problems with Safari as I did with IE, and every computer I used running 10.2 had that problem...it was the very last update before 10.3 came out that screwed up everything).

Did you already try the more obvious things, like clearing your cache and restarting?

Les Sleeth said:

How long are you waiting? You're only able to edit posts for a limited amount of time. If it isn't working at all, I think you'll like the new interface when you do get it working. You can edit as a quick reply now, without having to open up the advanced interface.

loseyourname said:
How long are you waiting? You're only able to edit posts for a limited amount of time. If it isn't working at all, I think you'll like the new interface when you do get it working. You can edit as a quick reply now, without having to open up the advanced interface.

I am trying to edit within minutes of posting, and I am pretty sure you have 24 hours to edit (at least, that's how long the "Edit" button hangs around on my posts).

I hope it's not my system as Moonbear surmises (it's 9.2.2 for Mac). I don't want to upgrade to system 10 just now because I'm in the middle of a huge writing project using a version of MS Office and other software that are not straightforwardly compatible with system 10.

Les Sleeth said:
I am trying to edit within minutes of posting, and I am pretty sure you have 24 hours to edit (at least, that's how long the "Edit" button hangs around on my posts).

I hope it's not my system as Moonbear surmises (it's 9.2.2 for Mac). I don't want to upgrade to system 10 just now because I'm in the middle of a huge writing project using a version of MS Office and other software that are not straightforwardly compatible with system 10.
Two things:
1) Others have reported trouble with editing (mattmns has another thread here saying he had trouble, and I know he is not using a Mac). So I don't think it's your OS at this point.

2) If you upgrade to OS X, as long as you don't uninstall OS 9.2 in the process (don't reformat your drive, just "upgrade"), you can still use applications that only work in OS 9.2 in what is called the "Classic" environment. In other words, when you open those applications, if they aren't compatible with OS X, they'll open in OS 9 ("Classic"). It's nice, because it means when you first upgrade to OS X, you don't have to spend the money to immediately upgrade ALL of your software.

Moonbear said:
Two things:
1) Others have reported trouble with editing (mattmns has another thread here saying he had trouble, and I know he is not using a Mac). So I don't think it's your OS at this point.

So what could it be? I just tried to use the font, sizes, colors, etc. boxes on top of the message window and they don't work. I tried the "undo" button and it didn't undo the last word I wrote, it undid thirty minutes of work! GREG help!

Moonbear said:
2) If you upgrade to OS X, as long as you don't uninstall OS 9.2 in the process (don't reformat your drive, just "upgrade"), you can still use applications that only work in OS 9.2 in what is called the "Classic" environment. In other words, when you open those applications, if they aren't compatible with OS X, they'll open in OS 9 ("Classic"). It's nice, because it means when you first upgrade to OS X, you don't have to spend the money to immediately upgrade ALL of your software.

Yeah, I tried to work that way with the early versions of 10, and found it awkward and slow. Maybe the latest version handles it better. I know I am gradually getting outdated with new software that's being developed for the net.

Les Sleeth said:
So what could it be? I just tried to use the font, sizes, colors, etc. boxes on top of the message window and they don't work. I tried the "undo" button and it didn't undo the last word I wrote, it undid thirty minutes of work! GREG help
I have the same problem, nothing is clickable whenever I want to reply. But luckily I can edit my post. :rolleyes:
I don't know what's the problem, we had the same in
http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/index.php [Broken], and I even didn't notice that upgrading's happened. I even didn't need to clear cache.

Last edited by a moderator:
Les Sleeth said:
So what could it be? I just tried to use the font, sizes, colors, etc. boxes on top of the message window and they don't work. I tried the "undo" button and it didn't undo the last word I wrote, it undid thirty minutes of work! GREG help!
I don't know. Since you seem to be having more problems than others with that, maybe it is the OS or browser you're using. It just might not be current enough to be fully compatible anymore.

Yeah, I tried to work that way with the early versions of 10, and found it awkward and slow. Maybe the latest version handles it better. I know I am gradually getting outdated with new software that's being developed for the net.
I haven't needed to use that in a while, so I'm not sure if it's any faster now. I don't remember it being that slow, but maybe I just thought Classic was always slow. :uhh: Yes, it's always so tough deciding when to update. I'm always in the middle of something I'm deathly afraid to lose or not be able to open again after an upgrade, but at some point, you just have to bite the bullet and do it.

Hmm . . . I was going to suggest that you use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable copy of your entire hard drive before you update (that way you can be certain that you do not lose anything), but Carbon Copy apparently only runs on 10.2 and higher.

However, Moonbear, in the future, when you run updates, you should use it. You'll need a Mac compatible piece of hardware or a DVD to backup to, though.

loseyourname said:
However, Moonbear, in the future, when you run updates, you should use it. You'll need a Mac compatible piece of hardware or a DVD to backup to, though.
Well, that would be the problem. I have neither a DVD writer, nor anything else around these parts that's mac compatible (*grumbles about crummy department server*). Heh heh, the contents of my hard drive wouldn't fit on a DVD anyway. I'm really going to have to start grumbling to our IT folks really soon about getting their servers to talk to macs since I'll soon be generating some massive data files that I'm going to need to get off their servers and onto my computer somehow (I've never been in a university that was so incapable of functioning with multiple platforms before).

Les Sleeth said:
If it was me, I'd never let anyone to edit his posts. :rolleyes:

1. People would think more for the first time they want to reply.
2. It's more fun when no one can't edit/delet his posts. You get to see their offensive potst too. :tongue2:

Moonbear said:
Well, that would be the problem. I have neither a DVD writer, nor anything else around these parts that's mac compatible (*grumbles about crummy department server*). Heh heh, the contents of my hard drive wouldn't fit on a DVD anyway. I'm really going to have to start grumbling to our IT folks really soon about getting their servers to talk to macs since I'll soon be generating some massive data files that I'm going to need to get off their servers and onto my computer somehow (I've never been in a university that was so incapable of functioning with multiple platforms before).

If you have access to an iPod with enough free space to hold the contents of your hard drive, you can copy to that and your old system will boot from the iPod.

loseyourname said:
If you have access to an iPod with enough free space to hold the contents of your hard drive, you can copy to that and your old system will boot from the iPod.
Don't have one of those either. :uhh: :rolleyes: I already have nearly 40 GB on my hard drive! :eek: It is backed up, but a little at a time (before I left Cincinnati, I got my paws on a DVD burner and backed up everything work related...anything else is there for convenience and doesn't need backing up...like music files; I can always reload my CDs). Looking into buying a desktop for home, so then that will be an option.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of the PF Update to vB3.5?</h2><p>The purpose of the PF Update to vB3.5 is to improve the functionality and user experience of the platform. This update will bring new features, bug fixes, and security enhancements to ensure a smooth and secure experience for users.</p><h2>2. When will the PF Update to vB3.5 be released?</h2><p>The exact release date for the PF Update to vB3.5 has not been announced yet. However, the developers are working diligently to ensure a timely release and will provide updates as they become available.</p><h2>3. What are some of the new features in the PF Update to vB3.5?</h2><p>The PF Update to vB3.5 will include new features such as improved search functionality, a revamped user interface, and enhanced customization options. It will also introduce new tools for moderators to manage the platform more efficiently.</p><h2>4. Will there be any changes to the current user accounts and data?</h2><p>No, the PF Update to vB3.5 will not affect any existing user accounts or data. All user information, posts, and settings will remain intact after the update. However, users may need to re-enter their login credentials after the update is complete.</p><h2>5. How can I prepare for the PF Update to vB3.5?</h2><p>To prepare for the PF Update to vB3.5, it is recommended to regularly back up your forum's database and files. This will ensure that in case of any unforeseen issues during the update, you can easily restore your forum to its previous state. You can also stay updated on the release date and new features by following the official PF website and social media channels.</p>

1. What is the purpose of the PF Update to vB3.5?

The purpose of the PF Update to vB3.5 is to improve the functionality and user experience of the platform. This update will bring new features, bug fixes, and security enhancements to ensure a smooth and secure experience for users.

2. When will the PF Update to vB3.5 be released?

The exact release date for the PF Update to vB3.5 has not been announced yet. However, the developers are working diligently to ensure a timely release and will provide updates as they become available.

3. What are some of the new features in the PF Update to vB3.5?

The PF Update to vB3.5 will include new features such as improved search functionality, a revamped user interface, and enhanced customization options. It will also introduce new tools for moderators to manage the platform more efficiently.

4. Will there be any changes to the current user accounts and data?

No, the PF Update to vB3.5 will not affect any existing user accounts or data. All user information, posts, and settings will remain intact after the update. However, users may need to re-enter their login credentials after the update is complete.

5. How can I prepare for the PF Update to vB3.5?

To prepare for the PF Update to vB3.5, it is recommended to regularly back up your forum's database and files. This will ensure that in case of any unforeseen issues during the update, you can easily restore your forum to its previous state. You can also stay updated on the release date and new features by following the official PF website and social media channels.