What Type of Engineering is Best for Designing a Spacecraft?

In summary, the person is a Canadian student who is unsure about which type of engineering to pursue. They are considering aerospace, mechanical, materials, or civil engineering. The speaker recommends mechanical engineering and suggests that a diverse education may be better for finding a job. They also mention that aerospace engineering is closely related to mechanical engineering. The person then asks if they can graduate with a mechanical engineering degree and take some aerospace courses to work in the field. The speaker asks what specific aspect of aerospace engineering the person is interested in, and recommends taking courses in rocketry, composites or smart materials, and computing and controls for different areas of aerospace engineering. They also mention that it is common for engineers to specialize in one aspect of a spacecraft project.
Inquiring_Mike
I'm a Canadian student that is going into engineering next year, and I don't know what type of engineering I should go into. In Canada, some schools offer a common first year and you choose your discipline in the second year. The thing is that these schools do not offer aerospace engineering(only 2 schools that do). I've been seriously thinking of taking aerospace, however I might also want to take mechanical, materials or civil. Which of these do you recommend?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mechanical of course! Clearly however, I am biased. What do you want to do with yourself after you leave school? And how important is finding a job easily?

I'm considering getting my masters right after I graduate, however I'm unsure. To me, finding a job is quite important.

The reason I asked that question is that a more diverse education is probably better for finding a job. There are more Mech E jobs than Aero jobs for example.

Aero is closely tied to Mech. Eng. (& the fluid mechanics subset of Mech Eng.)

Okay... So do you think that I could graduate with a mech. eng. degree and take some aero courses that will allow me to get a job in aerospace eng.?

What part of aero are you interrested in?

It's a very broad field...

I'm thinking about design of spacecraft ...

What part of the spacecraft ?

If you want to design the engines, you'll probably need to take some rocketry courses.

For structural components, ME will be fine. Just take some courses with composites or smart materials.

For avionics, you'll need some computing and controls classes.

etc.

Spacecraft are huge engineering projects. No-one except for the upper upper level people (who don't do any designing anyway) usually have a hand in more than a single part.

1. What is the difference between mechanical and electrical engineering?

Mechanical engineering focuses on designing and manufacturing mechanical systems, such as machines, vehicles, and heating/cooling systems. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. While there is some overlap in these two fields, mechanical engineers typically work on physical systems while electrical engineers work on electrical systems.

2. What is the role of a civil engineer?

Civil engineering involves the design, construction, and maintenance of infrastructure such as roads, bridges, buildings, and water supply systems. Civil engineers use their knowledge of mathematics, physics, and materials science to create safe and sustainable structures that meet the needs of the community.

3. What is the difference between computer science and computer engineering?

Computer science focuses on the theoretical aspects of computing, such as algorithms, programming languages, and software development. Computer engineering, on the other hand, deals with the design and development of computer hardware and systems. While there is some overlap between these two fields, computer engineers typically have a stronger foundation in hardware design and computer architecture.

4. What is the job outlook for environmental engineers?

Environmental engineers work to protect the environment and public health by addressing issues such as air and water pollution, waste management, and sustainability. The job outlook for environmental engineers is expected to grow in the coming years as there is a growing focus on environmental conservation and renewable energy sources.

5. What skills are important for a successful career in engineering?

In addition to strong technical knowledge, successful engineers also possess skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, creativity, and communication. They must be able to work well in a team and adapt to changing technologies and environments. Additionally, strong time management and organization skills are important for meeting project deadlines and managing multiple tasks at once.