Solve for Tire Radius: Mass, Friction Coefficient, Normal Force, and Speed Given

In summary, the problem is to determine the radius of a tire based on the mass, coefficient of static friction, normal force, and speed of a stone wedged into the tread. After several attempts, the correct formula to use is Fc = mv²/r and the correct value for the friction force from both sides is 2*µ*NR = 2*0.74*1.8 = 2.664 N. Using this formula and value, the radius of the tire can be calculated.
rockmorg
Hey guys -
Here is a problem I have been working on... I've tried several things, I think I'm pretty close...
Stone has a mass of 7e-3 kg and is wedged into the tread of a tire. Coefficient of static friction between each side of tread channel is 0.74. When the tire surface is rotating at 18 m/s the stone flies out. The magnitude of the normal force that each side of tread exerts is 1.8 N. Assume only static friction supplies centripetal force and determine radius of the tire.

So I have mass, coefficient of static friction, normal force, and speed.

I've tried...

Fc = ma_c = m(v^2/r)

F_c = f_s = u_sF_n
= 2(.74)2(1.8 N)

F_c = 5.3 N

r = F_c/(v2m)

5.3 N/(18 m/s)^2(7e-3) = 2.3 m

I've tried this and it came out wrong, of course thinking realistically it would be wrong anyways because usually tires (much less their radius) would be 2.3 m.

I could use F_c = 1.3 N (from not multiplying .74 by 2 and 1.8 N by 2)...

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of comments.

The friction force on one side is = µ*NR = 0.74*1.8
So, the friction from both sides is 2*µ*NR = 2*0.74*1.8 = 2.664 N.

Also, Fc = mv²/r

giving,

r = mv²/Fc rather than Fc/mv²

Hi there,

It seems like you're on the right track in solving for the radius of the tire. However, there are a few things to consider in your calculations:

1. The normal force is not doubled when you multiply it by 2. The normal force is the force perpendicular to the surface, so it remains the same regardless of the number of sides of the tread channel.

2. The coefficient of static friction may not necessarily be multiplied by 2 either. The coefficient of friction is a property of the two surfaces in contact, so it would remain the same regardless of the number of sides of the tread channel.

3. You are correct in using the formula Fc = ma_c = m(v^2/r), but remember that the centripetal force is equal to the frictional force, not the other way around. So, it should be written as Fc = F_s = m(v^2/r).

With these considerations in mind, your final calculation should look like this:

r = F_s/(v^2m) = (0.74)(1.8 N)/(18 m/s)^2(7e-3 kg) = 0.037 m = 3.7 cm

Therefore, the radius of the tire is approximately 3.7 cm. I hope this helps! Keep up the good work.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, pulling it towards the center of the circle. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular motion.

2. How is centripetal force calculated?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = mv²/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that an object experiences when moving in a circular path. Centrifugal force is not a true force, but rather a result of inertia.

4. How does centripetal force affect the speed of an object?

Centripetal force does not directly affect the speed of an object, but it is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path at a constant speed. If the centripetal force is reduced or removed, the object will move in a straight line at a constant velocity.

5. What are some real-world examples of centripetal force?

Some examples of centripetal force in everyday life include a car going around a curve, a ball on a string being swung around, and a planet orbiting around a star. Amusement park rides, such as a rollercoaster or a merry-go-round, also rely on centripetal force to keep riders moving in a circular path.