Old Book Review - Classical Charged Particles

In summary, "Classical Charged Particles" by Fritz Rohrlich is a 1965 book recommended by Pete for its excellent explanations of the philosophy and logic of physical theory, as well as special and general relativity. The book also addresses a complex question regarding charged particles in a gravitational field, making it a valuable resource. Despite some disagreements with the author's opinions, Pete highly recommends reading this book.
pmb_phy
Old Book Review - "Classical Charged Particles"

Hi folks

I've picked up a rather old book. It was written back in 1965 by Fritz Rohrlich and is called "Classical Charged Particles". I found this book by a reference in Jackson's EM text. I have to say that this is a superb book! I don't think I've read anything as good as this book before. The first chapter is called Philosophy and Logic of Physical Theory. Excellant chapter on what science and physics is and the nature of what it means to be a "Law
of Physics" and what it means for something to be a "Theory".

This text is quite excellant regarding special and general relativity as well. The nice thing is that it explains GR and what a gravitational field is (e.g. what is the "strength" of the field etc) as I've tried to explain it here in the past. I disagree with the author's opinions in a few places but that doesn't mean this isn't a superb text. I highly recommend reading this book! You won't regret it!

Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
One nice thing about this book is that it addresses a complex question that is sometimes asked in this forum. The question has to do with charged particles in a g-field. The section is called Is the Principle of Equivalence Principle Valid for Charged Particles? I know of no other text which addresses this point.

Pete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on "Classical Charged Particles". It's always interesting to discover older books that are still relevant and useful in today's scientific landscape. Based on your review, it seems like this book offers a strong foundation in the philosophy and logic of physical theory, which is essential for understanding the fundamentals of physics. Additionally, the author's explanations of special and general relativity are clear and helpful. It's great to hear that you found this book to be a valuable resource and I will definitely consider checking it out. Thanks again for your recommendation!

1. What is "Old Book Review - Classical Charged Particles" about?

"Old Book Review - Classical Charged Particles" is a scientific literature review that discusses the classical theory of charged particles, which describes the behavior of electrically charged particles in electromagnetic fields.

2. Who wrote "Old Book Review - Classical Charged Particles"?

The author of "Old Book Review - Classical Charged Particles" is not specified, as it is a generic title given to literature reviews of this topic. However, various scientists and researchers may have written similar reviews on this subject.

3. Is "Old Book Review - Classical Charged Particles" still relevant in modern science?

Yes, the classical theory of charged particles is still relevant in modern science, as it provides a foundation for understanding the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields. However, it has been expanded upon by quantum mechanics and other modern theories.

4. What are some key concepts discussed in "Old Book Review - Classical Charged Particles"?

Some key concepts discussed in "Old Book Review - Classical Charged Particles" may include Coulomb's law, electric and magnetic fields, and the motion of charged particles in these fields. It may also discuss applications of this theory in different areas of science.

5. Can I find "Old Book Review - Classical Charged Particles" online?

It is possible to find similar literature reviews on the classical theory of charged particles online. However, the specific review titled "Old Book Review - Classical Charged Particles" may not be available online, as it is a generic title given to these types of reviews. It may be found in scientific journals or libraries.