Surface of Equal Gravitational Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem given in an introductory physics class to find the equation of the surface between the Earth and the Sun where the gravitational potential is equal. The approach involves considering the masses and distances of the Earth and Sun, and setting the center of the sun as the origin. The individual asks for feedback on their approach.
amcavoy
In my introductory physics class, we were given a problem to find the equation of the surface between the Earth and the Sun where the gravitational potential is equal. At first (without working anything out), it seems that it might be some sort of ellipsoid or paraboloid. For now, I'm just going to look at a level curve and try to work it out in two dimensions.

Let M be the mass of the sun, and m be the mass of the earth. Let r1 be the distance from the Earth to a point (x,y) on the graph and r2 be the distance from the sun to the same point (x,y):

[tex]-\frac{GM}{r_2}=-\frac{Gm}{r_1}\implies r_1M=r_2m[/tex]

Now I am going to set the center of the sun as point (0,0) and the Earth as (0,k). Doing so gives:

[tex]M\sqrt{x^2+\left(y-k\right)^2}=m\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

I also know that when x=0, r1+r2 is the distance from the Earth to the sun.

I am not finished yet. I would just like to know if my approach is valid. Could someone let me know?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

Great, thank you for the help.

1. What is the definition of "Surface of Equal Gravitational Potential"?

The surface of equal gravitational potential, also known as an equipotential surface, is a hypothetical surface in a gravitational field where the gravitational potential remains constant at every point on the surface.

2. How is the surface of equal gravitational potential related to the Earth's surface?

The surface of equal gravitational potential is a concept used to understand the Earth's gravitational field. It is often compared to the Earth's surface because it is the surface where the gravitational potential is the same as at the Earth's surface.

3. What factors affect the shape and location of the surface of equal gravitational potential?

The shape and location of the surface of equal gravitational potential are primarily affected by the mass distribution and rotation of the object creating the gravitational field. Other factors may include the presence of other objects nearby and the varying density of the object's material.

4. How does the concept of surface of equal gravitational potential help explain the motion of objects in a gravitational field?

The concept of surface of equal gravitational potential allows us to better understand the behavior of objects in a gravitational field. Objects will naturally move along these surfaces towards the region of lower potential, resulting in the familiar elliptical orbits observed in celestial bodies.

5. Can the surface of equal gravitational potential ever intersect with itself?

No, the surface of equal gravitational potential cannot intersect with itself. This is because the gravitational potential at each point on the surface must be the same, and if two surfaces were to intersect, there would be two different potential values at that point, which is impossible.