A seemingly impossible problem from my teacher

In summary, you have a problem solving a problem that asks for the length of a side of a triangle given the angle and the side length of a square. You solve for a using the cosine law.
Kbecker
No its not homework, but my teacher (pre-cal) couldn't figure it out and neither can I, so see if you can!

I can't draw it so i'll explain it, pretty simple.

You have a square (ABCD) with a random point closest to the bottom-left corner of the square (it doesn't really matter which corner). The point is 3 units from A (the closest corner), 7 units from B (the point directly above A), and 5 units from D (the point directly right of A)

Keep in mind you don't no any angles except of course the 90 degrees of each corner.

Solve for - any side length!

Physics news on Phys.org
The point lies at the intersection of 3 circles centered on the given vertices with their respective radii. You have 3 equations and 3 unknowns (x, y, a) where a is the length of each side of the circle. You're only interested in a so you want to eliminate x and y.

After a quick run through I get [itex]a = 4[/itex] or [itex]a = 3 \sqrt {11}[/itex].

Let X be your point. Let x be the angle BXA, y is the angle DXA, and z is the angle DXB. Let s be the side length of your square. Using the cosine law, you know:

1) 2a² = 25 + 49 - 2(5)(7)cos(z)
2) a² = 9 + 25 - 2(3)(5)cos(y)
3) a² = 9 + 49 - 2(3)(7)cos(x)

Treat a², cos(x), cos(y), and cos(z) as your unknowns, then you have three linear equations in terms of 4 unknowns. You can then solve for all of them in terms of one of them, say cos(x).

But you also know that x + y + z = 2π, and that π/2 < x < π. With a bunch of messy algebra (it will boil down to solving a cubic polynomial with integer coefficients), or using a computer program, you can find a solution for cos(x), and hence a², and hence a.

Last edited:
well, one triangle has sides 7, 3, a
another has sides 3, 5, a
a third has sides 7,5,a* sqrt {2}

you can use a lot of law of cosines, a big ugly heron formula for the whole square or some plain geometry. If i were to gwt this problem i'd go for the Cosines.

Last edited:

What exactly is the problem that your teacher gave you?

The problem is to design an experiment to prove that time travel is possible. This means finding a way to send an object or information from the present to the past or future.

Why is this problem considered impossible?

Time travel is considered impossible based on our current understanding of physics and the laws of the universe. It goes against the principles of causality and would require breaking the laws of thermodynamics.

Has anyone ever successfully proved that time travel is possible?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence or experiments that have successfully proven that time travel is possible. The concept of time travel remains in the realm of science fiction.

What are some potential challenges or obstacles in designing an experiment for time travel?

One major challenge is figuring out how to manipulate space-time in a way that would allow for time travel to occur. This would require advanced technology and a deep understanding of theoretical physics. There are also ethical considerations and potential paradoxes that would need to be addressed.

Is it worth trying to solve this problem?

As a scientist, it is always worth exploring new ideas and pushing the boundaries of knowledge. However, it is important to approach this problem with a critical and logical mindset, rather than getting caught up in the excitement of the idea of time travel. It is also important to consider the potential consequences and ethical implications of proving that time travel is possible.