Transformations of Basis Vectors on Manifolds

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of coordinate bases and the use of partial derivative operators. The goal is to show that \vec{e'}_a = \frac{\partial x^b}{\partial x'^a} \vec{e}_b holds true in this scenario. The next step in the solution is to establish \vec{e}_b = \frac{\partial}{\partial x^b} and \vec{e'}_a = \frac{\partial}{\partial x'^a} in order to continue with the proof.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

I am trying to show that
[tex] \vec{e'}_a = \frac{\partial x^b}{\partial x'^a} \vec{e}_b [/tex]

where the e's are bases on a manifold and the primes mean a change of coordinates
I can get that [tex] \frac{\partial x^a}{ \partial x'^b} dx'^b \vec{e}_a = dx'^a \vec{e'}_a [/tex] from the invariance of ds but what should I do next?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to show that
[tex] \vec{e'}_a = \frac{\partial x^b}{\partial x'^a} \vec{e}_b [/tex]

where the e's are bases on a manifold and the primes mean a change of coordinates

You're dealing with coodinates bases, or else your expression above isn't true. Thus

[tex]\vec{e}_b = \frac{\partial}{\partial x^b}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{e'}_a = \frac{\partial}{\partial x'^a}.[/tex]

George Jones said:
You're dealing with coodinates bases, or else your expression above isn't true. Thus

[tex]\vec{e}_b = \frac{\partial}{\partial x^b}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{e'}_a = \frac{\partial}{\partial x'^a}.[/tex]
Yes, I am dealing with coordinate bases.

How can you set a basis vector equal to a partial derivative operator?

Last edited:

What are basis vectors on manifolds?

Basis vectors on manifolds are a set of vectors that define the tangent space at a particular point on a manifold. They are used to represent the local coordinate system of a point on a manifold.

Why are transformations of basis vectors important on manifolds?

Transformations of basis vectors are important because they allow us to understand how the tangent space changes as we move from one point to another on a manifold. This is crucial for understanding the geometry and topology of the manifold.

What is the difference between a coordinate basis and a frame basis on a manifold?

A coordinate basis is a set of vectors that are aligned with the coordinate axes of the local coordinate system at a point on the manifold. A frame basis, on the other hand, is a set of vectors that span the tangent space at a point on the manifold, but are not necessarily aligned with the coordinate axes.

How do we calculate the transformation of basis vectors on a manifold?

The transformation of basis vectors on a manifold is calculated using the Jacobian matrix, which represents the linear transformation between coordinate systems. The Jacobian matrix is calculated by taking the derivatives of the coordinate system transformation equations.

What is the significance of the metric tensor in transformations of basis vectors on manifolds?

The metric tensor is a mathematical object that defines the inner product between vectors in the tangent space of a manifold. It is used to measure angles, lengths, and volumes on the manifold, and is crucial for understanding the geometry and curvature of the manifold.