Zwiebach Exercise 9.3b: Solving for 4a in Equation 9.10

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving string theory and the value of the answer. It is mentioned that the length of a string, represented by l_s, is not necessarily the length of any specific string. The final answer is given as 4√2a in units of the string length. The range for integration is also clarified for open strings.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Apparently the answer is sqrt(2 alpha') *4a. But doesn't equation 9.10 imply that the 4a should just be a 1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It's kind of a coincidence that when I did that problem two years ago, that's what I wrote in the margin of my book. However it is not true. [itex]l_s[/itex] is just a unit of length like the Planck length. It is not necessarily the length of any string. It is useful as a unit of length when doing string theory as this problem shows. The answer is [itex]4\sqrt{2}a[/itex] in units of the string length.

Last edited:
I see--we need to integrate differential lengths from sigma = 0 to sigma = 2 pi. Thanks.

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
I see--we need to integrate differential lengths from sigma = 0 to sigma = 2 pi. Thanks.
That's for closed strings. As this is an open string, the range is different.

1. What is the purpose of Zwiebach Exercise 9.3b?

The purpose of Zwiebach Exercise 9.3b is to reinforce the concept of string modes and their corresponding energies in string theory.

2. How does Zwiebach Exercise 9.3b relate to string theory?

Zwiebach Exercise 9.3b is a mathematical exercise that uses the principles of string theory, specifically the concept of string modes, to solve for the energies of different string states.

3. What mathematical skills are needed for Zwiebach Exercise 9.3b?

To successfully complete Zwiebach Exercise 9.3b, one should have a solid understanding of basic algebra, as well as some knowledge of differential equations and calculus.

4. Is Zwiebach Exercise 9.3b difficult to complete?

This can vary from person to person, but for those with a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, Zwiebach Exercise 9.3b should not be overly challenging.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Zwiebach Exercise 9.3b?

While Zwiebach Exercise 9.3b is primarily a theoretical exercise, the concepts and skills used in solving it can be applied to real-world problems in physics and engineering, especially in the field of quantum mechanics.