Is a single point in R compact?

In summary: But in summary, a set consisting of a single point in R is compact because it is closed and bounded, and every open cover of a single point in R can have a finite subcover. However, some may argue that it is technically incorrect to say a point is compact, rather it is the set containing the point that is compact. Ultimately, the approach used to prove compactness may vary depending on the teacher's preferences.
fraggle
Is a single point in R compact?

It seems obvious since every open cover of a single point in R can clearly have a finite subcover.

However, I have a little uncertainty (i.e possible convention that says otherwise?) so just wanted to check before using it in a proof.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A subset of R is compact if it is closed and bounded (Heine Borel). A set consisting of a single point is certainly bounded and closed and therefore compact

It seems obvious since every open cover of a single point in R can clearly have a finite subcover.

That's it. No more work needed

VeeEight said:
A subset of R is compact if it is closed and bounded (Heine Borel). A set consisting of a single point is certainly bounded and closed and therefore compact

I would probably fail anyone using this argument on principle

Technical point: it makes no sense to talk about a point being compact. What you mean is that a set containing a single point (a "singleton" set) is compact. That's true in any topology, not just R or even just in a metric space. Given any open cover for {a}, there exist at least one set in the cover that contains a and that set alone is a "finite subcover".

Office_Shredder said:
I would probably fail anyone using this argument on principle

And I would say you would be in error to do so.

What would you say to this:

Let [tex]p[/tex] be the point. We know that there is some compact space [tex]K[/tex]. The map defined by [tex]f(x) = p[/tex] for all [tex]x \in K[/tex] is continuous. The continuous image of a compact set is compact. Therefore [tex]\{p\}[/tex] is compact. QED

g_edgar said:

I was mostly being humorous. However, I know a lot of teachers that specifically don't want people to use Heine-Borel to prove the compactness of sets because it misses the point (which is to demonstrate your knowledge of what compactness means).

g_edgar said:

What would you say to this:

Let [tex]p[/tex] be the point. We know that there is some compact space [tex]K[/tex]. The map defined by [tex]f(x) = p[/tex] for all [tex]x \in K[/tex] is continuous. The continuous image of a compact set is compact. Therefore [tex]\{p\}[/tex] is compact. QED
Oh, surely you can find an even more complicated proof than that!

1. What does it mean for a single point to be compact in R?

In mathematics, a set is considered compact if it is closed and bounded. This means that all of its limit points are contained within the set and the set does not extend infinitely in any direction. In the context of R, a single point is compact if it exists within a finite range of values and does not have any limit points.

2. How can I determine if a single point in R is compact?

To determine if a single point in R is compact, you can use the Heine-Borel theorem. This theorem states that a subset of R is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. Therefore, if the single point is within a finite range of values and does not have any limit points, it is compact.

3. Is a single point in R always compact?

No, a single point in R is not always compact. It can only be considered compact if it meets the criteria of being closed and bounded. If the single point is not within a finite range of values or has limit points, it is not considered compact.

4. How does compactness of a single point in R relate to its continuity?

The compactness of a single point in R is closely related to its continuity. In fact, a function is continuous at a point in R if and only if the point is compact. This means that a single point in R must be closed and bounded in order for the function to be continuous at that point.

5. Can a single point in R be compact in one metric but not in another?

Yes, a single point in R can be compact in one metric but not in another. This is because the definition of compactness is dependent on the metric being used. Different metrics can result in different notions of compactness, so a single point may be compact in one metric but not in another.