Proving Negation of Limit Definition

In summary, if a sequence does not have a limit, then proving the negation of the limit definition is true.
antiemptyv

Homework Statement

I'm trying to show that a sequence does not have a limit, so that would mean proving the negation of the limit definition is true, right? Is this a correct negation of the definition of what it means for a sequence to have a limit?

Homework Equations

The definition of the limit of a sequence [tex](x_n)[/tex].
The sequence [tex](x_n)[/tex] converges to [tex]L[/tex] if given [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex], [tex]\exists K(e) \in \mathbb{N} \ni[/tex] if [tex]n > K(e)[/tex], then [tex]|x_n-L| < \epsilon[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

The limit of a sequence [tex](x_n)[/tex] is not L if [tex]\exists \epsilon > 0 \ni \forall K \in \mathbb{N}[/tex], [tex]\existsn \in \mathbb{N} \ni n > K \ni |x_n - L| \geq \epsilon[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that is right, except it seems as if you have used too many N's, \in's or \ni's.

antiemptyv said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to show that a sequence does not have a limit, so that would mean proving the negation of the limit definition is true, right? Is this a correct negation of the definition of what it means for a sequence to have a limit?

Homework Equations

The definition of the limit of a sequence [tex](x_n)[/tex].
The sequence [tex](x_n)[/tex] converges to [tex]L[/tex] if given [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex], [tex]\exists K(e) \in \mathbb{N} \ni[/tex] if [tex]n > K(e)[/tex], then [tex]|x_n-L| < \epsilon[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

The limit of a sequence [tex](x_n)[/tex] is not L if [tex]\exists \epsilon > 0 \ni \forall K \in \mathbb{N}[/tex], [tex]\existsn \in \mathbb{N} \ni n > K \ni |x_n - L| \geq \epsilon[/tex].
Not if by "if [itex]n> K(e)[/tex] then [tex]|x_n_L|< \epsilon[/itex] you mean "for all n> N(e).
That only has to be true for some n> Ke)

Yes, it all seems right now I guess. Thanks! and oh yeah, i guess while editting, i left in a few extra symbols...

1. What is the negation of the limit definition?

The negation of the limit definition is the statement that the limit of a function as x approaches a certain value does not exist. This means that the function does not approach a single value as x gets closer and closer to the given value.

2. How is the negation of the limit definition written mathematically?

The negation of the limit definition is written as: lim x→a f(x) ≠ L, where L is the value that the function should approach as x approaches a.

3. What does it mean for a function to not have a limit at a certain point?

If a function does not have a limit at a certain point, it means that the function either has a jump discontinuity or an infinite discontinuity at that point. This means that the function has a sudden change or a vertical asymptote at that point, respectively.

4. How can the negation of the limit definition be used to prove that a limit does not exist?

To prove that a limit does not exist using the negation of the limit definition, we can show that there are two different values that the function approaches as x gets closer and closer to the given value. This would contradict the definition of a limit, which states that the function should approach a single value.

5. Can the negation of the limit definition be applied to all functions?

Yes, the negation of the limit definition can be applied to all functions, including both continuous and discontinuous functions. It is a useful tool in determining the existence of limits and identifying points of discontinuity in a function.