How Many Electrons Transfer to Equalize Charge Between a Plate and a Rod?

• Thread starter gatorgrl1118
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, in order for the plate and rod to have the same charge, 1.6 x 10^13 electrons must be transferred from the plate to the rod. This can be calculated by dividing the charge of each object by the charge of one electron (1.6 x 10^-19 C) and then adding the results together. It is important to pay attention to units when converting between charge and number of electrons.
gatorgrl1118
A plate carries a charge or -3.0 microC) while a rod carres a charge of +2.0 microCs. How many electrons must be transferred from the plate to the rod so that both obejcts have the same charge?

e = 1.6 X 10^-19 C. 6.25 X 10^18 e per C of negative energy..

What I've done is -3.0 mC/6.25 X 10^18= -4.8 X 10^11. 2.0 mC/ 6.25 X 10^18= 3.2 X 10^11. Added up is 1.6 X 10^11

The solution is 1.6 X 10^13 however I keep getting 1.6 X 10^11. Can someone help me out with this? What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I get 1.6 X 10^-13 electrons. Check your units. Remember that:

[tex]1\mu C=10^{-6}C[/tex]

Would you be able to show me how you worked that because now I am getting -1.6 X 10^-25. I'm completely confused. Thanks.

Ok, well let me ask you this:

How much charge moves from one to the other so they have equal charge?

Once you know this, how did you convert the charge measurements to number of electrons?

1. What is the process of transfer of electrons?

The transfer of electrons is the movement of electrons from one atom to another. This can occur through various mechanisms such as ionic bonding, covalent bonding, or metallic bonding.

2. How does transfer of electrons affect chemical reactions?

Transfer of electrons is a fundamental aspect of chemical reactions. It can result in the formation of new compounds or the breaking of existing bonds. It also influences the reactivity and stability of molecules.

3. Can transfer of electrons occur in non-metal elements?

Yes, transfer of electrons can occur in non-metal elements. While metals are known for their ability to lose electrons easily, non-metals can also participate in electron transfer through processes such as oxidation and reduction.

4. What is the importance of transfer of electrons in biological systems?

In biological systems, transfer of electrons plays a crucial role in processes such as cellular respiration and photosynthesis. It allows for the production of energy and the synthesis of important molecules.

5. How can transfer of electrons be harnessed for practical applications?

Transfer of electrons has many practical applications, such as in batteries, fuel cells, and electrical circuits. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as metal plating and wastewater treatment.