Should I Transfer for US to Canada Engineering Degree?

• Thread starter phyznut
  • Start date
In summary, the person is seeking advice on whether to finish their undergraduate studies in the US or in Canada. They mention that finishing in Canada would require a minimum of two additional years, but would provide opportunities for internships and industry connections. They also mention considering earning a Masters in Canada after finishing their undergrad. They are seeking input on the job market for EEs and CompEngs in Canada and whether it has an equivalent to Silicon Valley. Some suggest finishing in the US due to transfer credit standards and the possibility of starting over from scratch at Canadian universities.
phyznut
Hi all,

I'm in need of some advice urgently.

Let me give a little background about myself. I"m currently an undergrad in engineering at a US college. I'm currently a senior and I'm scheduled to graduate at the end of Fall 08' semester. I am doing great in school with A's in most of my technical courses.

Now here is my problem, I will eventually have to move to Canada (whether I like it or not). As the situation currently stands, I will have to be in Canada the summer of 08'. I'm now in middle of making a very important decision. Do I finish my schooling in the US (go to Canada by the summer and return to the US in time for the fall 08' semester then return to Canada); or do I continue with my undergrad studies in Canada. I'm currently looking at University of Toronto or Waterloo.

Continuing in Canada means that I'll have to go for a minimum of two years in order to receive a degree from either university. I honestly don't mind the extra time. I feel it would benefit me to finish in Canada because the I will be placed in an internship or co-op and it increases my changes of finding a job. Further more, the universities also have career centers that will help me find engineering jobs because both universities have good industry relations. I fear that if I go with a US degree, I will have a hard time finding jobs becuase I haven't built a proper "network".
Both of these universities have engineering programs that are superior to that offered by my current school. So for some reason, I would feel a better sense of accomplishment because of the higher standards.

But what if I finish my undergrad in the US and earn a Masters in Canada (either way, I'd still go for a Masters)? DO they have something like GREs? How would they rate an undergrad US engineering degree? I feel that having an undergrad from Canada will put me in a better position of being accepted into their graduate program. What do you think?

So where would I be better off finishing up my undergrad? Well I know that you can't tell me what to do, but any input is appreciated.

I would also like to know about the situation of the job market for EEs and CompEngs. Does Canada have an equivalent of Silicon Valley?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why must you move back and forth?

I find it to make more sense to finish in the US. Schools like Waterloo might make you start over from scratch, or start over from 2nd year so that's 3 extra years and not 2. Waterloo has tough transfer credit standards and I'm sure UofT does too. Don't just assume you can start relatively where you are now.

I cannot provide personal advice on your specific situation. However, I can offer some general advice and information that may help you make your decision.

Firstly, both the University of Toronto and Waterloo have highly reputable engineering programs and it is understandable that you may feel a sense of accomplishment from earning a degree from one of these institutions. However, it is important to consider the practical aspects of transferring to a Canadian university. You mentioned that it may take you an extra two years to complete your degree in Canada, which means an additional two years of tuition and living expenses. You should also consider the differences in curriculum and course requirements between your current school and the Canadian universities, as this may affect your ability to transfer credits and graduate on time. It is important to thoroughly research and compare the programs at each institution before making a decision.

In terms of job prospects, it is difficult to predict the job market for EEs and CompEngs in Canada without knowing your specific field of interest. However, Canada does have a growing technology industry and there are many opportunities for engineers in various sectors. It would be beneficial for you to research the job market in your specific field and in the areas where you are considering studying.

Regarding graduate studies, most universities in Canada do require standardized tests such as the GRE for admission to graduate programs. However, the requirements may vary between institutions and it is best to check with the specific universities you are interested in attending.

In conclusion, the decision to transfer for a Canadian engineering degree ultimately depends on your personal goals and priorities. It is important to thoroughly research and consider all aspects before making a decision. Good luck with your decision!

1. What are the differences between engineering degrees in the US and Canada?

The main difference between engineering degrees in the US and Canada is the length of the program. In the US, a Bachelor's degree in engineering typically takes four years to complete, while in Canada it takes five years. Additionally, the curriculum and focus of the programs may vary slightly, but both are accredited by the respective country's engineering governing bodies.

2. Will my US engineering degree be recognized in Canada?

Yes, most US engineering degrees are recognized in Canada. However, you may need to have your degree evaluated by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB) to ensure it meets the requirements for licensure in Canada.

3. Can I transfer my credits from my US engineering program to a Canadian university?

It is possible to transfer credits from a US engineering program to a Canadian university, but it ultimately depends on the specific university and program you are applying to. It is best to contact the admissions office of the Canadian university you are interested in transferring to for more information.

4. Are there any advantages to getting an engineering degree in Canada?

One advantage of getting an engineering degree in Canada is the opportunity to gain international experience and exposure. Canada is home to many top-ranked universities, and studying in a different country can provide a unique perspective and help you develop a global network. Additionally, some Canadian universities offer co-op programs, which allow students to gain hands-on experience in their field while studying.

5. Are there any drawbacks to transferring for a US to Canada engineering degree?

One potential drawback is the additional time and cost involved in completing a five-year degree instead of a four-year degree. Additionally, if you plan on working in the US after graduation, you may need to have your degree evaluated by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) to meet licensure requirements. However, this process is typically straightforward and can be done online.