Do origin and onboard rocket observers agree on velocity?

In summary: Happy Easter!In summary, in a friction-free, gravity-free environment, a rocket with a precise amount of energy E applied to it will accelerate to a final velocity V. The origin observer will find that V precisely matches the value required for E to equal the kinetic energy (KE) of the rocket. However, an observer aboard the rocket will only have an accelerometer and a proper clock, and if they integrate their accelerometer readings using the proper clock during the acceleration event to find their final velocity V', it will not be equal to V. Instead, they will find V = c*tanh(V'/c), where c is the speed of light and V' is the onboard observer's final velocity. This is due to the relativistic equation for
BitWiz
Gold Member
Given an ideal rocket in a friction-free, gravity-free environment:

A precise amount of energy E is applied to accelerating a rocket. An external observer at the origin (rocket velocity=0) watches the rocket accelerate to a final velocity V. As expected, the origin observer finds that V precisely matches the value required for E to equal the kinetic energy (KE) of the rocket.

An observer aboard the rocket only has an accelerometer and a proper clock. If the rocket observer integrates his accelerometer readings using the proper clock during the acceleration event to find his final velocity V', will V = V'?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
BitWiz said:
As expected, the origin observer finds that V precisely matches the value required for E to equal the kinetic energy (KE) of the rocket.

Yes, he does, but it's worth noting that the equation that relates the two is not the Newtonian ##\frac{1}{2} m V^2##. The relativistic kinetic energy is ##m \left( \gamma - 1 \right)##, where ##\gamma = 1 / \sqrt{ 1 - \frac{V^2}{c^2} }##.

BitWiz said:
An observer aboard the rocket only has an accelerometer and a proper clock. If the rocket observer integrates his accelerometer readings using the proper clock during the acceleration event to find his final velocity V', will V = V'?

No. He will find ##V = c \tanh \frac{V'}{c} = c \tanh \left( \frac{a \tau}{c} \right)##, where ##a## is the accelerometer reading and ##\tau## is the time elapsed on the proper clock.

(Btw, you can tell that the answer must be "no" even without knowing the formula: if the answer were "yes", then ##V## could become greater than ##c##, since ##V' = a \tau## can certainly become greater than ##c## -- it can increase without limit since ##a## is constant and ##\tau## can increase without limit.)

BitWiz, PeterDonis has assumed constant a. But even if a isn't constant, what he says is still correct if you replace [itex]a\tau[/itex] with [tex]
\int a \, d\tau.
[/tex]

DrGreg said:
BitWiz, PeterDonis has assumed constant a. But even if a isn't constant, what he says is still correct if you replace [itex]a\tau[/itex] with [tex]
\int a \, d\tau.
[/tex]

Thank you, DrGreg. Any real-world attempt would have to do it this way.

Bit

BitWiz said:

No. If the accelerometer on the rocket reads a' for the acceleration, the rocket will have an acceleration a=a'/\gamma^3. Also the two times will be different.
Only if the rocketeer takes this into account, would she get the same velocity.

Thank you, Peter! You made my week. ;-)

PeterDonis said:
Yes, he does, but it's worth noting that the equation that relates the two is not the Newtonian ##\frac{1}{2} m V^2##. The relativistic kinetic energy is ##m \left( \gamma - 1 \right)##, where ##\gamma = 1 / \sqrt{ 1 - \frac{V^2}{c^2} }##.

I loved everything you said. I need to break up my response, though ...

To accelerate a 1Kg rocket to 10% c, using onboard propulsion and energy, and ignoring fuel mass losses (Tsiolkovsky):

By Newtonian standards, the energy required = Newtonian KE = 450 TJ with final momentum ##p=V##?

By relativistic standards, KE is about 0.005 ... what units? ... and momentum ##p = \gamma V##?

That's quite a difference and probably the basis of some spirited disagreements with my Newtonian friends regarding the energy required to accelerate mass -- from the relativistic rocket observer's point of view.

Do you know how I can determine the energy required to accelerate 1 kg to X% c from the POV of an onboard observer?

If appropriate, can you tell me how to respond to my Newtonian friends who insist that a rocket's Newtonian KE determines the minimum energy that must be expended to achieve both external and onboard (proper) velocity?

Thanks!

Happy Easter!

Meir Achuz said:
No. If the accelerometer on the rocket reads a' for the acceleration, the rocket will have an acceleration a=a'/\gamma^3. Also the two times will be different.
Only if the rocketeer takes this into account, would she get the same velocity.

Let me fix that: ##a=a'/\gamma^3## Correct? If so, that is a very, very handy equivalence. Thank you, sir!

Bit

BitWiz said:
To accelerate a 1Kg rocket to 10% c, using onboard propulsion and energy, and ignoring fuel mass losses (Tsiolkovsky):

By Newtonian standards, the energy required = Newtonian KE = 450 TJ with final momentum ##p=V##?

Assuming ##m = 1##, yes.

BitWiz said:
By relativistic standards, KE is about 0.005 ... what units?

Units of ##m c^2##, so KE is about ##0.005 m c^2 = 0.005 \times 1 \times 9 \times 10^{16}##, i.e., about 450 TJ, just as you calculated. In other words, 10% c isn't fast enough for relativistic corrections to make much difference. (You would see the difference if you did the calculation with more precision.)

BitWiz said:
... and momentum ##p = \gamma V##?

Assuming ##m = 1##, yes. But since ##\gamma \approx 1.005##, this isn't much of a difference, as above.

BitWiz said:
That's quite a difference

For 10% c, not really; see above. Try it with V = 90% c and see what you get. :wink:

BitWiz said:
Do you know how I can determine the energy required to accelerate 1 kg to X% c from the POV of an onboard observer?

My favorite resource for this topic is the Usenet Physics FAQ article on the relativistic rocket equation:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html

It covers everything, including what you're asking here; it's basically the correct relativistic version of the Newtonian rocket calculations that your friends are referring to.

BitWiz said:
can you tell me how to respond to my Newtonian friends who insist that a rocket's Newtonian KE determines the minimum energy that must be expended to achieve both external and onboard (proper) velocity?

Do they just not know about relativity, or do they think relativity somehow doesn't apply? If it's the former, you can just point them at correct relativistic calculations, like the article I linked to above. If it's the latter, any advice I can give would include terms like "crackpot", which you might not want to use, depending on how good friends these are. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
DrGreg said:
\int a \, d\tau.
[/tex]

Yes, good point, I was assuming constant ##a## (as does the Usenet Physics FAQ article I linked to). Making ##a## variable doesn't really change anything conceptually, it just makes the math more complicated; but you're right, it's important to be aware of the effects of such complications.

1. What is the origin and onboard rocket observer?

The origin refers to the point on Earth's surface from which the rocket is launched. The onboard rocket observer is a device or system on the rocket that measures its velocity and other parameters during flight.

2. Why is it important for the origin and onboard rocket observer to agree on velocity?

It is important for the origin and onboard rocket observer to agree on velocity because it ensures accurate and consistent data collection during the rocket's flight. Any discrepancies between the two measurements could lead to incorrect conclusions about the rocket's performance and trajectory.

3. How is velocity measured by the origin and onboard rocket observer?

The origin typically uses ground-based radar or tracking systems to measure the rocket's velocity. Onboard the rocket, velocity is typically measured using accelerometers and gyroscopes.

4. Can disagreements in velocity measurements between the origin and onboard rocket observer be corrected?

Yes, in most cases, discrepancies in velocity measurements can be corrected by calibrating and synchronizing the instruments used by the origin and onboard rocket observer. This ensures that both measurements are accurate and consistent.

5. Are there any other factors that could cause disagreements in velocity measurements between the origin and onboard rocket observer?

Yes, there are other factors that could cause disagreements in velocity measurements, such as atmospheric conditions, wind, and human error. It is important for scientists to carefully analyze and account for these factors when comparing velocity data from the origin and onboard rocket observer.