Designing a Cruise Control System Controller with Root Locus Method | Coursework

In summary, the conversation is about designing a controller for a cruise control system using the Root Locus method. The individual has found a project online but is having trouble understanding the method itself. They have questions about the number of poles/zeros to move, how to know whether to move poles or zeros, and the meaning of certain parts of the root locus plot. They also have confusion about selecting a specific value for the closed loop pole and how to know which one to choose.
CEL said:
Obtain the time response and verify how long does it take from 10% to 90% of ss.

I have got the steady state value but how do I get the time response ? Laplace Transform ? Isn't there some shorter method ? This is because I have got a zero as well in the PI controller so the general formulae doesn't work..Any approximation ? I don't want to go for any tedious method...

Physics news on Phys.org
Altairs said:
I have got the steady state value but how do I get the time response ? Laplace Transform ? Isn't there some shorter method ? This is because I have got a zero as well in the PI controller so the general formulae doesn't work..Any approximation ? I don't want to go for any tedious method...

You must take the inverse tarnsform of the response Y(s). Don't forget that the transform of the step is 1/s, so the s in the denominator cancels the s in the numerator.