Do we swallow insects and spiders in our sleep?

In summary: There have been investigations of this claim and as far as can be told it seems made up. There is no PC Processional magazine and no Lisa Holst, very odd really that the debunk has been debunked.
Dremmer
Is it true that we swallow insects and spiders when we're sleeping?

Biology news on Phys.org
I've heard this stated as a statistic before, but I've only heard it "on the street".

Something like: Every person's mouth, on average, gets about seven rodents/spiders/insect visits a year.

I'm curious if it's true, too. Somehow I doubt there's a trustworthy number associated with it. You'd have to do sleep studies all year round in somebody's house (as opposed to a controlled environment).

There's never been any real study on it as far as I can tell, such a statistic would differ not only from country to country but from house to house. Searching around different websites shows many that have people asking 'is it true' and 'where did that statistic come from' but nothing is forthcoming. It strongly sounds like an urban myth, spiders don't exactly roam the bedroom only at night and I would find it extremely odd if one thought crawling into a breathing wet hole was a good idea.

ryan_m_b said:
I would find it extremely odd if one thought crawling into a breathing wet hole was a good idea.

Depends how thirsty you are...

I have no doubt it happens (come on, 6 billion on the planet and you're going to tell me no one has ever had a bug crawl in their mouth during sleep?), but I can't say I'm convinced by the whole 'statistics' side of things.

Lol I was hardly suggesting that out of all 6 billion people currently living and the tens of billions that have lived before that no-one has eaten a spider in their sleep! I really can't see that being a regular behaviour for most spiders however

ryan_m_b said:
Lol I was hardly suggesting that out of all 6 billion people currently living and the tens of billions that have lived before that no-one has eaten a spider in their sleep! I really can't see that being a regular behaviour for most spiders however

Well you'd think after one get's stuck in the bath they'd start to learn - but hey, looks like they just ain't that clever.

Personally, although I have nothing against them, I don't make a habit of allowing them to remain in the house.

Me neither, I'm not too tolerant of things with more than 4 legs...

ryan_m_b said:
Me neither, I'm not too tolerant of things with more than 4 legs...

Even then, I'm only allowing 2 max in the house at anyone time!

http://www.fda.gov/food/guidancecomplianceregulatoryinformation/guidancedocuments/sanitation/ucm056174.htm [Broken]

Check the wheat flour line near the bottom.

This data is the expected insect frass and body parts in food. Most people are not aware of this. On the whole I'd worry about this concept more than some statistic garnered from the ether. 50g of flour is a few slices of bread...

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm skeptical of swallowing spiders in my sleep. i had one actually wake me up from my sleep. and the reaction was visceral. i jumped out of bed, immediately turned the lights on, chased it down and killed it. and that is with me being a deep sleeper, slow riser, and no real fear of spiders. it's as if there is an interrupt somewhere running a "bug crawling on skin" subroutine, and it has full override.

But how many times have you woken up (after brushing the night before) with some strange taste in your mouth and not realized it was a mostly digested insect that you mowed on in your sleep?

I really can't see that being a regular behaviour for most spiders however

insects + spiders.

It doesn't need to be regular behavior. Most people have a lot of insects and spiders living near and migrating through their living area over the years (whether they notice them or not); You're bound to have irregular behavior in a large enough population.

Also, factor in carbon-dioxide seeking insects (such as mosquitoes, my state bird)

Not that I think it happens to everybody seven times a year, though...

1. Do we really swallow insects and spiders in our sleep?

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that we regularly swallow insects and spiders while we sleep. In fact, our bodies have several mechanisms in place to prevent this from happening. For example, our gag reflex and saliva production would typically prevent any foreign objects from entering our throats while we are sleeping.

2. Is it true that we swallow a certain number of insects and spiders every year?

No, it is not true. This is a common urban legend that has been circulating for many years. While it is possible to accidentally swallow an insect or spider while we are awake, it is highly unlikely to happen while we are sleeping.

3. Can spiders crawl into our mouths while we are sleeping?

It is extremely unlikely for spiders to crawl into our mouths while we are sleeping. Spiders are typically shy creatures and prefer to avoid humans. Additionally, our breathing and saliva production would also make it difficult for a spider to survive in our mouths.

4. What happens if we accidentally swallow an insect or spider while we are sleeping?

If we do happen to accidentally swallow an insect or spider while we are sleeping, it is likely that our body will naturally expel it through coughing or digestion. Our stomach acid is strong enough to break down most insects and spiders, so there should be no cause for concern.

5. How did the myth of swallowing insects and spiders in our sleep start?

The origins of this myth are unclear, but it is believed to have originated in the early 20th century. Some sources suggest that the myth was spread by a marketing campaign for a popular mattress brand, while others believe it may have been a way to scare children into staying in bed at night.