Can I post pictures of text from books here?

• Thread starter omoplata
  • Start date
In summary, it is legal to post pictures from books under the principle of Fair Use as long as you only use a small portion and provide proper attribution. It is also recommended to link to the page on Google Books for better context.
omoplata
I'm reading some books and I don't understand some places. Instead of typing long paragraphs, I'd like to post pictures of those paragraphs and ask questions. Is it illegal or anything to post pictures from the books? I mean, is it a copyright violation. Would it be alright if I cite the source?

Physics news on Phys.org
omoplata said:
I'm reading some books and I don't understand some places. Instead of typing long paragraphs, I'd like to post pictures of those paragraphs and ask questions. Is it illegal or anything to post pictures from the books? I mean, is it a copyright violation. Would it be alright if I cite the source?

The part of the law that applies is "Fair Use":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

I believe as long as you copy only a small part (like a paragraph and an equation), and provide attribution, your posting it here to clarify your question would qualify under Fair Use.

('course, I'm not a lawyer, not even on TV...) :smile:

Thanks for the help :)

Fredrik said:
If possible, link to the page at Google Books instead.
That's a great suggestion. Since much more of the of the book is available to view, the context of the parts related to the question is available too.

1. Can I post pictures of text from books here?

It depends on the specific guidelines and policies of the platform or forum you are using. Some may allow it, while others may not. It is important to check the rules before posting any content.

2. Is it considered fair use to post pictures of text from books here?

Fair use is a legal concept and can vary depending on the context. Posting pictures of text from books may fall under fair use if it is for educational or critical purposes. However, it is always best to check the specific laws and guidelines in your country or region.

3. Can I post pictures of text from books if I give credit to the author?

Giving credit to the author does not automatically make it okay to post pictures of text from books. Copyright laws still apply, and using someone else's work without permission may still be considered infringement.

4. What if I only post a small portion of the text from the book?

Posting a small portion of the text may still be considered copyright infringement, as it is not the amount but the impact on the original work that matters. It is always best to seek permission from the author or publisher before using any content.

5. Are there any potential consequences for posting pictures of text from books without permission?

Yes, there can be potential legal consequences for posting pictures of text from books without permission. It is important to respect the intellectual property rights of others and follow the proper guidelines and laws when sharing content.