Complex Numbers - Forms and Parts

In summary, the conversation revolved around understanding the rectangular form of a complex number and finding the real and imaginary parts of a given number. The recommendation was to use Euler's relation and multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator to simplify the problem.
dotNet
Hi, I have a complex number and understand that the rectangular form of the number is represented by

s = σ + jω, where σ is the real part and jω is imaginary.

I am having trouble locating them in the number below:
20koboi.png

I know that "2" is a real number, and the numerator is imaginary along with j*2*pi*k. Since the numerator is dividing both the elements at the bottom, does this number have a real and imaginary part? (This is where I am a little confused).

My guess would be that σ = 2 and the rest is imaginary.

If I could figure out what parts are real and imaginary, I can go on to find the rectangular form and the polar form.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dotNet said:
Hi, I have a complex number and understand that the rectangular form of the number is represented by

20koboi.png

I know that "2" is a real number, and the numerator is imaginary along with j*2*pi*k. Since the numerator is dividing both the elements at the bottom, does this number have a real and imaginary part? (This is where I am a little confused).

If I could figure out what parts are real and imaginary, I can go on to find the rectangular form and the polar form.

Thanks

Euler's relation e^ix = cos(x) + i*sin(x) vastly simplifies the exponential in the numerator. Cos and sin have period 2pi so the numerator is -1. Then multiply numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator (assuming k is real). That leaves you with a real number in the denominator and a complex number in the numerator whose real and imaginary parts can be readily evaluated.

By the way, multiplying numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator is the standard thing to do with this kind of problem.

Last edited:
dotNet said:

20koboi.png

I know that "2" is a real number, and the numerator is imaginary along with j*2*pi*k.
No, the numerator is NOT imaginary. In fact it is real- it is [itex]e^{j3\pi}= cos(3\pi)+ jsin(3\pi)= -1[/itex].
Since the numerator is dividing both the elements at the bottom, does this number have a real and imaginary part? (This is where I am a little confused).

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Just try a look into www.wolframalpha.com and enter

Exp[3 Pi I] / (2 + 2 Pi k I)

what is the Mathematica version of your formula

as others have suggested, evaluate the numerator at the specific angle (3pi), and then multiply the resulting fraction by:

[tex]\frac{2 - j2\pi k}{2 - j2\pi k} (= 1)[/tex]

to make the denominator real.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary part. They are expressed in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i representing the square root of -1.

2. What are the different forms of complex numbers?

The two main forms of complex numbers are standard form, which is a + bi, and polar form, which is r(cosθ + isinθ). Other forms include exponential form and rectangular form.

3. What is the difference between real and imaginary parts of a complex number?

The real part of a complex number represents the horizontal axis on the complex plane, while the imaginary part represents the vertical axis. The real part is a regular number, while the imaginary part is a multiple of i.

4. How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example: (3 + 2i) + (5 - 4i) = (3 + 5) + (2i - 4i) = 8 - 2i.

5. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers have various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to solve problems involving alternating currents, electromagnetism, and signal processing. They also have applications in geometry and fractals.