Is a licence required to make isopropyl alcohol?

• Thread starter Nutball
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alcohol
In summary, the conversation discusses the legality of making isopropyl alcohol and whether a license is required for it. The participants mention various laws and regulations, including those related to environmental release and excise taxes. The conversation also touches upon the topic of ignorance as a defense for breaking laws and the need for public education on legal matters.
Nutball
Is a license required to make isopropyl alcohol? I know at times making alcohol can be illegal such as making it for drinking, but what about isopropyl?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't think it is. Since is isn't for consumption there isn't any reporting requirement for excise taxes. There may be state or local regulations regarding environmental release of ... anything. Of course, depending on the method of manufacture, you might run afoul of some regulations but just having 2-propanol isn't illegal AFAIK.

Nutball said:
Is a license required to make isopropyl alcohol? I know at times making alcohol can be illegal such as making it for drinking, but what about isopropyl?

NO, why would making anything be illegal? As long as you don't steal the supplies, I would have a hard time understanding why it would be illegal. That's like asking "is making an automobile illegal?". Life is too short, so have fun. Make what you want to make.

sodium.dioxid said:
NO, why would making anything be illegal?

What about methamphetamine? Or LSD?

You may have local fire ordinances to consider, although I doubt hobbyists would have enough material for them to be of concern.

I would recommend being sure to store whatever (legal) chemicals you have in an appropriate environment and clearly labeled. I can't seem to find it at the moment, but there was this news item somewhat recently about a family needing to dispose of a deceased family member's home laboratory that was not in very good shape.

I just wasn't sure because plenty of things are illegal to make like bombs and drugs, and who knows what else is illegal to make without a licence. It is a simple and safe process(if you know what you're doing) to make isopropyl alcohol. My intended use for it is as fuel.

There are more rules and laws than any of us can count. If you make a mistake, just say "I didn't know". I don't know how people are expected to know the law when no classes are provided to the public. It's like we are supposed to know these things the moment we exit the womb.

sodium.dioxid said:
There are more rules and laws than any of us can count. If you make a mistake, just say "I didn't know". I don't know how people are expected to know the law when no classes are provided to the public. It's like we are supposed to know these things the moment we exit the womb.

... seriously?

sodium.dioxid said:

Ignorance is not a valid defense. Laws are available publicly to everyone.

Nutball, I would think that there would be some kind of law for making isoprobyl alcohol, but you'd have to check around to be sure.

Pengwuino said:
... seriously?

Yes, seriously. Here's another one I bet you didn't know: you cannot park your vehicle within 5 inches of the parking lane, on either side. It is within total rights of a police officer to award you with a ticket (no, not a movie ticket), as stated in article 4 section 274 paragraph 3 line 17 in the book "How not be evil - citizens handbook to living life". It is called misconduct, lack of cooperation, and harassment. It depends on the mood of the police officer as to what combination of those three things he will charge you with (note that you can be charged for all three simultaneously). I was surprised just the way you are as you are reading this right now. I am so happy to learn this valuable lesson in life. I no longer have to worry about the fiery depths of you-know-where.

Pengwuino said:
Ignorance is not a valid defense.

I know. That's why I told them I was handicapped. They let me off the hook this time.

sodium.dioxid said:
I know. That's why I told them I was handicapped. They let me off the hook this time.

That's atrocious.

Borek said:
What about methamphetamine? Or LSD?

Isn't their synthesis legal in Poland? :smile:
Seriously, this whole discussion is quite pointless as long as it doesn't refer to the laws of a specified country.

DrDu said:
Isn't their synthesis legal in Poland? :smile:

Last time I checked it wasn't. Somehow I doubt anything changed since then :wink:

1. Is a license required to make isopropyl alcohol in the United States?

No, a license is not required to make isopropyl alcohol in the United States. The production of isopropyl alcohol falls under the category of "Generally Recognized as Safe" (GRAS) by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, meaning it is considered safe for use in food, drugs, and cosmetics.

2. Do I need a special permit to make isopropyl alcohol for personal use?

No, a special permit is not required to make isopropyl alcohol for personal use. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions and guidelines for handling and storing isopropyl alcohol.

3. Are there any regulations for producing isopropyl alcohol?

In most countries, there are no specific regulations for producing isopropyl alcohol. However, it is important to follow good manufacturing practices and adhere to safety guidelines to ensure a high-quality and safe product.

4. Do I need a license to sell isopropyl alcohol?

In most cases, a license is not required to sell isopropyl alcohol. However, some countries may have specific regulations and restrictions on the sale and distribution of isopropyl alcohol, so it is important to check with local authorities before selling the product.

5. Can I make isopropyl alcohol at home?

Yes, it is possible to make isopropyl alcohol at home using simple ingredients and equipment. However, it is important to follow proper instructions and safety precautions to ensure a safe and effective product. It is also important to note that homemade isopropyl alcohol may not be as high in purity as commercially produced versions.