Infinite and finite countable sets

In summary, when representing sets, it is important to use proper notation and to understand the difference between countably infinite and finite sets. For a set of all rational numbers, it can be represented as S = {x : x is rational} or S = {x : x ##\in## Q}. For a finite set, such as {1, 2, 3, 4}, it can simply be written as is. It is also important to note that a set of rational numbers between 1 and 4 is not the same as a set containing only the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4.
hatsu27
Ok I understand the concept of infinite countability and that say the set of all rational #s is infinitely countable, but if I needed to represent the set how do I do that? S={xε rat. # : x= k , k ε a rational #}? that doesn't seem right. Also say I wanted to show a set of finite countable numbers, I'm sure I can just write T={1,2,3,4} but shouldn't i do something more proper and state that T = {n ε rat. # : 1≤n≤4}? I just need help with how to properly represent sets- Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hatsu27 said:
Ok I understand the concept of infinite countability and that say the set of all rational #s is infinitely countable
You are mixing up the terms. The positive integers and the rationals are countably infinite, and the reals are uncountably infinite. No set is described as being infinitely countable.
hatsu27 said:
, but if I needed to represent the set how do I do that? S={xε rat. # : x= k , k ε a rational #}? that doesn't seem right.
S = {x : x is rational}. Sometimes Q is used to represent rational numbers, so you could also say S = {x : x ##\in## Q}.
hatsu27 said:
Also say I wanted to show a set of finite countable numbers, I'm sure I can just write T={1,2,3,4}
This is an example of a finite set. The way you wrote it, above, is fine.
hatsu27 said:
but shouldn't i do something more proper and state that T = {n ε rat. # : 1≤n≤4}?
This would be all of the rational numbers between 1 and 4. This set is not the same as {1, 2, 3, 4}.
hatsu27 said:
I just need help with how to properly represent sets- Thanks!

1. What is the difference between infinite and finite countable sets?

An infinite countable set is a set that has an infinite number of elements, but can still be counted and put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. A finite countable set, on the other hand, has a limited number of elements and can be counted without any remaining elements.

2. Can all infinite sets be counted?

No, not all infinite sets can be counted. For example, the set of real numbers is an infinite set that cannot be counted, as it is uncountable. This means that there is no way to put the elements of this set into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers.

3. How do you know if a set is countable or uncountable?

A set is countable if its elements can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. This means that each element in the set can be assigned a unique natural number. If this is not possible, then the set is uncountable.

4. What is an example of an infinite countable set?

An example of an infinite countable set is the set of positive even numbers. While there are an infinite number of even numbers, they can still be counted and put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers (2, 4, 6, 8, ...).

5. How are infinite countable sets useful in mathematics?

Infinite countable sets are useful in mathematics because they allow us to work with infinite quantities in a finite way. They also help us understand the concept of infinity and its relationship to numbers. Many mathematical concepts, such as series and limits, rely on the properties of infinite countable sets.