Quotient Group is isomorphic to the Circle Group

In summary: Also, I edited your post to replace [tеx] ... [/tеx] with [itеx] ... [/itеx].In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving the set T, which represents all complex numbers on the unit circle, and its relationship to the group R and the function g(x) = cis(2\pix). The first problem is solved using the definition of cis(x) and the second problem involves proving that T is a group using the group axioms. The third problem involves proving that T is isomorphic to R/<2\pi> using the Fundamental Homomorphism Theorem, and the fourth problem involves showing that g(x) is a homomorphism from R onto T
spotsymaj
A portion of a homework problem was given me to solve for practice. I have solved some but not all of the homework problem and I hope you all can help.

Here is the problem:

1. For each x [tex]\in[/tex] R it is conventional to write cis(x) = cos(x) + i sin(x). Prove that cis(x+y) = cis(x) cis(y).

Let x, y [tex]\in[/tex] R. We want to prove that cis(x+y) = cis(x) cis(y). Thus,
cis(x+y) = cos(x+y) + i sin(x+y)
= (cos(x) cos(y) - sin(x)sin(y)) + i(cos(x)sin(y) + sin(x)cos(y))
= cos(x) cos(y) - sin(x) sin(y) + i sin(x) cos(y) + i sin(y) cos(x)
= (cos(x)+ i sin(x))(cos(y) + i sin(y))
= cis(x) cis(y)

2. Let T designate the set {cis(x) : x [tex]\in[/tex] R}, that is, the set of all the complex numbers lying on the unit circle, with the operation of multiplication. Use part 1 to prove that T is a group.

3. Use the FHT to conclude that T isomorphic R/<2[tex]\pi[/tex]>

4. Prove that g(x) = cis(2[tex]\pi[/tex]x) is a homomorphism from R onto T, with kernel Z

Let g: R -> T by g(x) = cis(2[tex]\pi[/tex]x).
g is subjective since ever element of T is of the from cis(a) = cis(2[tex]\pi[/tex](a/2[tex]\pi[/tex])) = g(a/2[tex]\pi[/tex]) for some a [tex]\in[/tex] R. The kernel of g is the set of x [tex]\in[/tex] R such that cis(2[tex]\pi[/tex]x) = 1. This equation only holds true if and only if 2[tex]\pi[/tex]x = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]k for some k [tex]\in[/tex] Z. Divide by 2[tex]\pi[/tex] then you get ker(g) = Z. Hence, g is a homomorphism with a kernel of Z

5. Conclude that T is isomorphic R/Z

By the FHT g: R -> T is a homomorphism and R is subjective to T. Since Z is the kernel of g then H is isomorphic to R/Z

I really have no clue how to do 2 and 3 so any help would be great on that. Also if you can verify that my other three are correct that would be great. Thanks for the help in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
for #2 you need to verify the group axioms.

pick [tex] z,w,v \in T [/tex]

you need to show:

1. [tex] zw \in T [/tex]

by the first problem you have proved... we have

[tex] zw=cis(x)cis(y)=cis(x+y) \in T [/tex]

cis(x+y) is in T by definition since x+y is in R

2. [tex] (zw)v=z(wv) [/tex]

not hard to show... (since T is a subset of the complex numbers)

3. there exists a multiplicative identity in T

...its 1( =cis(0) ) !

4. there exists an inverse for z in T

[tex] z \in T \Rightarrow |z|=1 [/tex]

use [tex] \frac{1}{z} = \frac{\bar z}{ |z|^2} [/tex]

and |z|=1 to show that 1/z is in T.

For #3 define:

Note that R here is treated as an additive group!

[tex] f: R \rightarrow T [/tex]

by [tex] x \rightarrow cis(x) [/tex]

problem 1 shows its an additive homomorphism

you need to show that the kernel of f is [tex] < 2 \pi > [/tex]

do you know how to do this?

Eric Wright said:
Do you know how to do this?

Not really! I have taught myself this whole course

Eric Wright said:
...its 1( =cis(0) ) !

What does this mean?

spotsymaj said:
What does this mean?

[tex] 1=cis(0) \in T [/tex]

the multiplicative identity in T is the number 1 which is e^0=cos0+isin0=cis(0)
1 is in T since 1=cis(0) and 0 is a real number

spotsymaj said:
Not really! I have taught myself this whole course

Take an arbitrary element of [tex] <2 \pi > [/tex] and show it is in the kernel.

Next take an arbitrary element of the kernel and show it is in [tex] <2 \pi > [/tex]

This is a technique called double containment and it is how we normally show that sets are equal.

What is a quotient group?

A quotient group is a mathematical concept that refers to a group formed by partitioning a larger group into smaller subgroups. The elements of the quotient group are the cosets of the original group, and the group operation is determined by the operation of the original group.

What is the Circle Group?

The Circle Group, denoted as S^1, is a mathematical group that represents the set of complex numbers with absolute value 1. It can also be thought of as the unit circle on the complex plane. The group operation is multiplication of complex numbers.

How is a quotient group isomorphic to the Circle Group?

A quotient group is considered isomorphic to the Circle Group if there exists a bijective homomorphism (a function that preserves the group operation) between the two groups. This means that the two groups have the same group structure, even though their elements may be different.

What does it mean for two groups to be isomorphic?

If two groups are isomorphic, it means that they have the same group structure. This means that they have the same number of elements, the same group operation, and the same properties such as identity element, inverses, and associativity. Isomorphic groups are essentially the same group, just with different labels for the elements.

What are some real-world applications of the concept of isomorphism between groups?

The concept of isomorphism between groups has many applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics. In cryptography, isomorphic groups are used to generate secure encryption keys. In coding theory, isomorphic groups are used to create error-correcting codes. In physics, isomorphic groups are used to describe symmetries and transformations in physical systems.