How to Convert Taylor Expansion to Summation Notation and Vice Versa?

In summary, the conversation revolves around whether there is a specific technique or program for converting Taylor expansion to summation notation form and vice versa, and if so, if there is a general approach to do so. The expert suggests that it may be difficult to find a general approach for all functions and that it may require algorithms in computer algebra. A specific example is given, but it is noted that without a general pattern for the terms, it is impossible to find a consistent summation.
Vola
Gold Member
Hi everyone,
Is there a certain technique or a program for converting Taylor expansion to summation notation form and vice versa.
Thank you in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Vola said:
Is there a certain technique or a program for converting Taylor expansion to summation notation form and vice versa.

Your question isn't completely clear. Can you give a specific example where converting from one notation to the other is difficult?

let's say I expend a certain function using Taylor series. Is there a specific method I can apply to represent that string of terms in sigma notation.

Unless you can find an expression for the nth derivative of the function at a certain point in terms of n, there's no point in trying.

Vola said:
let's say I expend a certain function using Taylor series. Is there a specific method I can apply to represent that string of terms in sigma notation.

Well, that's more specific question, but not a specific example.

I think your question amounts to asking whether there is a concise way to represent the n-th derivative of a particular function ( like f(x) = (x sin x)/(x+3) ) as an expression with a finite number of symbols in it that only involves specific functions and the variables 'x' and 'n'.

I don't know of any technique that works for all functions. The higher derivatives of some functions involve more and more terms. You might have to write sums-of-sums or sums-of-sums-of-sums to represent them.

You could approach the problem as a task in computer algebra. It would involve algorithms that manipulate strings. This makes it a very specialized question. I don't know whether any programmers doing computer algebra hang-out in the computer sections of the forum. I don't recall seeing any computer algebra algorithms discussed in these mathematics sections.

Let's say i need to rewrite 2+7(x-2)+4(x-2)^2+(x-2)^3+O((x-2^4) in sigma notation.Is there any systematic way to do that?

Vola said:
Let's say i need to rewrite 2+7(x-2)+4(x-2)^2+(x-2)^3+O((x-2^4) in sigma notation.Is there any systematic way to do that?
To write a series in summation notation, you have to have a general pattern for the n-th term of the series. I don't see any particular pattern in what you showed.

Maybe different example: 1 + x + (5/4)x^2 + (7/4)x^3 +...+O(x^4). I am looking for general approach for rewriting expansions like this in sigma notation.

There are infinitely many functions f such that f(0)=1*0!, f(1)=1*1!, f(2)=5/4*2!, f(3)=7/4*3!. Without knowing every term, it's impossible to find a summation that continues to be consistent with the taylor expansion of the function forever, in this case, we need the O(x^4)'s expansion.

(Or you can just use your induction skills to find [itex]f^{\left(n\right)}\left(k\right)[/itex] in terms of n and k to find the expansion around k.)

1. What is Taylor expansion technique?

Taylor expansion technique is a mathematical method used to approximate a function by expressing it as an infinite sum of polynomial terms. It is named after mathematician Brook Taylor and is based on the idea that a function can be represented by its derivatives at a particular point.

2. When is Taylor expansion technique typically used?

Taylor expansion technique is typically used when the exact value of a function is difficult to calculate, but its derivatives can be easily evaluated. It is commonly used in calculus, physics, and engineering to approximate complex functions and solve problems.

3. What is the formula for Taylor expansion?

The formula for Taylor expansion is given by f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + (1/2!)f''(a)(x-a)^2 + (1/3!)f'''(a)(x-a)^3 + ... + (1/n!)f^(n)(a)(x-a)^n, where f(x) represents the function, a is the point of expansion, and n is the number of terms in the expansion.

4. What is the difference between Taylor expansion and Maclaurin expansion?

Taylor expansion is a generalized form that can be used to approximate a function at any point, while Maclaurin expansion is a special case of Taylor expansion where the point of expansion is 0. In other words, Maclaurin expansion is a Taylor expansion centered at 0.

5. What are the advantages of using Taylor expansion technique?

Taylor expansion technique allows us to approximate complex functions with simpler polynomial expressions, making them easier to work with. It also helps in understanding the behavior and properties of a function at a particular point. Moreover, by using more terms in the expansion, we can improve the accuracy of the approximation.