Why variables in directly proportinality are multipiled

• Thread starter 22990atinesh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary: You're replying to the wrong post. Post #7 is about as far from "I didn't understand what are u trying to say." as you can get.In summary, when two variables are directly proportional, it means that they are related by a constant factor, and the constant does not depend on either variable. This also means that if one variable is proportional to another, and both are proportional to a third variable, then they are also proportional to the product of those two variables. However, this is not the case if the variables are added together, as the constant factor would then depend on both variables.
22990atinesh
Why variables (RHS) in directly proportionality are always multiplied.

Suppose the Newton 2nd law

##{F}\propto{m}##

##{F}\propto{a}##

##{F}\propto{m*a}##

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you know that for variables Q, a, and b, if you know ##Q \propto a##, and that ##Q \propto b## then you also know that ##Q\propto ab## ...

This is because that is what "directly proportional to" means.

Similarly if ##Q\propto a## and ##Q\propto 1/b## then ##Q\propto a/b##

Simon Bridge said:
If you know that for variables Q, a, and b, if you know ##Q \propto a##, and that ##Q \propto b## then you also know that ##Q\propto ab## ...

This is because that is what "directly proportional to" means.

Similarly if ##Q\propto a## and ##Q\propto 1/b## then ##Q\propto a/b##
If
##Q \propto a##
##Q \propto b##

then you also know that

##Q\propto (a+b)##
this can aslo be true why multiply.

22990atinesh said:

If
##Q \propto a##
##Q \propto b##

then you also know that

##Q\propto (a+b)##
this can aslo be true why multiply.

This isn't true.

The constant of proportionality can't depend on whatever's on the right side. So, [itex]Q \propto a[/itex] means [itex]Q = C_1 \cdot f(b) \cdot a[/itex] (where [itex]C_1[/itex] doesn't depend on [itex]a[/itex] or [itex]b[/itex]).

Similarly, [itex]Q \propto b[/itex] really means [itex]Q = C_2 \cdot f(a) \cdot b[/itex], for some (possibly different) constant [itex]C_2[/itex].

The only way this can be true simultaneously is if [itex]Q = C \cdot a \cdot b[/itex] for some constant [itex]C[/itex] -- or, more simply, if [itex]Q \propto ab[/itex].

chogg said:
This isn't true.

The constant of proportionality can't depend on whatever's on the right side. So, [itex]Q \propto a[/itex] means [itex]Q = C_1 \cdot f(b) \cdot a[/itex] (where [itex]C_1[/itex] doesn't depend on [itex]a[/itex] or [itex]b[/itex]).

Similarly, [itex]Q \propto b[/itex] really means [itex]Q = C_2 \cdot f(a) \cdot b[/itex], for some (possibly different) constant [itex]C_2[/itex].

The only way this can be true simultaneously is if [itex]Q = C \cdot a \cdot b[/itex] for some constant [itex]C[/itex] -- or, more simply, if [itex]Q \propto ab[/itex].

I didn't understand what are u trying to say.

Proportional to [itex]x[/itex]
means the same as
Equal to [itex]x[/itex], times some constant.

Right?

chogg said:
This isn't true.

22990atinesh said:
I didn't understand what are u trying to say.
I didn't either, especially the parts about f(a) and f(b).
##Q \propto a## means Q = ka for some constant k. If you form the ratio Q/a, you get (ka)/a, or k, the constant of proportionality.

BTW, using "textspeak" such as "u" for "you" isn't allowed here.

Let me start by answering your original question in a different way.

Suppose [itex]Q[/itex] is some function of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex]. I'll write it as [itex]Q(a, b)[/itex] to emphasize this.

To say [itex]Q(a, b) \propto a[/itex] means that [itex]Q(ka, b) = kQ(a, b)[/itex] for any constant [itex]k[/itex]. In words: if you scale up [itex]a[/itex], you scale up [itex]Q[/itex] by the same amount, because [itex]Q[/itex] is proportional to [itex]a[/itex].

You said that [itex]Q(a, b) = a + b[/itex] satisfies [itex]Q(a, b) \propto a[/itex]. Let's check!
[tex]
\begin{align}
Q(ka, b) &= ka + b \\
kQ(a, b) &= ka + kb \\
&\ne Q(ka, b)
\end{align}
[/tex]
Therefore, [itex]a + b[/itex] is not proportional to [itex]a[/itex].

---

Now as to my apparently-hard-to-understand notation: the [itex]f(a)[/itex] notation just means "any function of [itex]a[/itex]". Note that Mark44's constant [itex]k[/itex] could well depend on [itex]a[/itex]! For example, if [itex]Q(a, b) = \sin(a)b[/itex], then [itex]Q(a, b) \propto b[/itex] is true. I used the [itex]f(a)[/itex] notation to emphasize this.

@22990atinesh (OP): You seem to be confused about what "directly proportional to" means
Here is the definition:

If ##Q \propto P## then ##Q=kP## where ##k## does not depend on ##P##.

(I suspect you've got the first part but not the second part.)

Applying this definition:

(1) ##Q \propto a## means ##Q = k_1 a## where ##k_1## does not depend on ##a##
(2) ##Q\propto b## means ##Q = k_2 b## where ##k_2## does not depend on ##b##

Now consider:

(3) ##Q \propto ab## means that ##Q= k ab## and we can see from (1) and (2) that ##k_1=k/b## does not depend on ##a## and ##k_2=k/a## does not depend on ##b## - so if (1) and (2) are both true, then (3) is also true.(4) ##Q \propto a+b## means that ##Q=k(a + b)## and we can see from (1) and (2) that: $$k_1=\frac{k(a+b)}{a},\; k_2=\frac{k(a+b)}{b}$$... these expressions are saying that the only way (4) is true is if ##k_1## depends on ##a## and ##k_2## depends on ##b## - which contradicts the definition of "directly proportional to" used to make (1) and (2).

In other words, if (1) and (2) are both true, then (4) is false.

[Note: this is pretty much the argument first appearing in this thread in post #4 (and repeated since)]

You can try this reasoning process yourself for:

(5) ##Q\propto f(a,b)## ... where ##f## is an arbitrary function of ##a## and ##b## together...

... if (1) and (2) are both true, what form(s) can ##f## take so that (5) is also true?

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
You seem to be confused about what "directly proportional to" means
Who is "you" here?
Simon Bridge said:
Here is the definition:

I agree, and this is pretty much what I said in post 7.
Simon Bridge said:
[Note: this is pretty much the argument in post #4]

@Mark44: so noted - post #9 edited to reflect your comments :)

Simon Bridge said:
@22990atinesh (OP): You seem to be confused about what "directly proportional to" means
Here is the definition:

(I suspect you've got the first part but not the second part.)

Now consider:

(3) ##Q \propto ab## means that ##Q= k ab## and we can see from (1) and (2) that ##k_1=k/b## does not depend on ##a## and ##k_2=k/a## does not depend on ##b## - so if (1) and (2) are both true, then (3) is also true.(4) ##Q \propto a+b## means that ##Q=k(a + b)## and we can see from (1) and (2) that: $$k_1=\frac{k(a+b)}{a},\; k_2=\frac{k(a+b)}{b}$$... these expressions are saying that the only way (4) is true is if ##k_1## depends on ##a## and ##k_2## depends on ##b## - which contradicts the definition of "directly proportional to" used to make (1) and (2).

In other words, if (1) and (2) are both true, then (4) is false.

[Note: this is pretty much the argument first appearing in this thread in post #4 (and repeated since)]

You can try this reasoning process yourself for:

(5) ##Q\propto f(a,b)## ... where ##f## is an arbitrary function of ##a## and ##b## together...

... if (1) and (2) are both true, what form(s) can ##f## take so that (5) is also true?

How did ##k_2=k/a## and ##k_1=k/b## come in point (3).
It must be ##k_2=k*a## and ##k_1=k*b##

22990atinesh said:

How did ##k_2=k/a## and ##k_1=k/b## come in point (3).
It must be ##k_2=k*a## and ##k_1=k*b##

##Q=k_1a## and ##Q= kab## true at the same time means that ##k_1 a = kab## or ##k_1=kb## ... so well done: but the argument holds: k_1 does not depend on a - in accordance with the definition given in (1).

Can you say the same for ##Q=k(a+b)##?

Simon Bridge said:
##Q=k_1a## and ##Q= kab## true at the same time means that ##k_1 a = kab## or ##k_1=kb## ... so well done: but the argument holds: k_1 does not depend on a - in accordance with the definition given in (1).

Can you say the same for ##Q=k(a+b)##?

Still didn't understand. I don't want a rigorous proof. I just want a simple explanation.

22990atinesh said:
Still didn't understand. I don't want a rigorous proof. I just want a simple explanation.

Well, several people have already supplied one. But let's try plugging in numbers; maybe examples will help!

You said that [itex]Q = a + b[/itex] can satisfy [itex]Q \propto a[/itex]. If that's true, then for any values of [itex]a[/itex] or [itex]b[/itex], if we scale up [itex]a[/itex], we scale up [itex]Q[/itex] by the same amount.

Let's say [itex]a = 1[/itex] and [itex]b = 2[/itex]. This means that [itex]Q = 3[/itex].

Now let's double [itex]a[/itex], and try predicting what happens to [itex]Q[/itex] in two ways.
  • Using [itex]Q \propto a[/itex], when we double [itex]a[/itex], we double [itex]Q[/itex]. Therefore, we expect [itex]Q = 6[/itex].
  • Using [itex]Q = a + b[/itex], we can just plug in the values. We actually find [itex]Q = 4[/itex].

4 is not the same as 6. Therefore, we were wrong when we said [itex]Q \propto a[/itex] is true when [itex]Q = a + b[/itex].

Proportional means multiply.

Likes 1 person
I am at a loss: what education level are you at?

Do you understand that the definition of ##Q\propto P## is
##Q=kP## where k is a number that does not depend on P?​

I'm afraid that is as simple as it gets.

Doubt Cleared

chogg said:
Well, several people have already supplied one. But let's try plugging in numbers; maybe examples will help!

You said that [itex]Q = a + b[/itex] can satisfy [itex]Q \propto a[/itex]. If that's true, then for any values of [itex]a[/itex] or [itex]b[/itex], if we scale up [itex]a[/itex], we scale up [itex]Q[/itex] by the same amount.

Let's say [itex]a = 1[/itex] and [itex]b = 2[/itex]. This means that [itex]Q = 3[/itex].

Now let's double [itex]a[/itex], and try predicting what happens to [itex]Q[/itex] in two ways.
  • Using [itex]Q \propto a[/itex], when we double [itex]a[/itex], we double [itex]Q[/itex]. Therefore, we expect [itex]Q = 6[/itex].
  • Using [itex]Q = a + b[/itex], we can just plug in the values. We actually find [itex]Q = 4[/itex].

4 is not the same as 6. Therefore, we were wrong when we said [itex]Q \propto a[/itex] is true when [itex]Q = a + b[/itex].

Proportional means multiply.

Thanx for example Chogg. This simple example cleared my doubt.

Simon Bridge said:
I am at a loss: what education level are you at?

Do you understand that the definition of ##Q\propto P## is
##Q=kP## where k is a number that does not depend on P?​

I'm afraid that is as simple as it gets.

Simon Bridge I appreciate your efforts to explain. But your explanation was a little bit theoretical. If you would have said the same thing with an example, I would have gotten it earlier. Anyway thanks for help :smile:

Very happy I could help! :)

1. Why are variables in directly proportional relationships multiplied?

Variables in directly proportional relationships are multiplied because this is the mathematical representation of the relationship between the two variables. This means that as one variable increases, the other variable also increases by a corresponding amount.

2. How does multiplying variables in directly proportional relationships affect the outcome?

Multiplying variables in directly proportional relationships affects the outcome by increasing or decreasing the value of the dependent variable in proportion to the independent variable. This allows us to accurately predict the outcome of the relationship.

3. What happens if variables in a directly proportional relationship are divided instead of multiplied?

If variables in a directly proportional relationship are divided instead of multiplied, the resulting relationship would be an inverse proportion. In this case, as one variable increases, the other variable decreases by a corresponding amount.

4. Can there be more than two variables in a directly proportional relationship?

Yes, there can be more than two variables in a directly proportional relationship. In this case, the relationship would be represented by a formula with multiple variables being multiplied together.

5. How can I identify if two variables have a directly proportional relationship?

You can identify a directly proportional relationship by plotting the data points on a graph and looking for a straight line passing through the origin (0,0). If the data points form a straight line, the variables have a directly proportional relationship. Additionally, you can also check if the ratio between the two variables is constant for all data points. If it is, then the relationship is directly proportional.