Back and Forth Massive Motion makes fly more stable

In summary, the conversation discusses the theory that the mechanism on the back of a house fly helps to stabilize its flight by driving masses back and forth along a line. The speaker also wonders if this mechanism can stop the fly from rotating. They ask for more information on the anatomy and function of this mechanism. Additionally, sources are mentioned that discuss the role of the second pair of wings and the use of a similar principle in a robotic fly.
jamesadrian
i was once told that a mechanism on the back of a house fly makes its flight more stable than it might otherwise be by driving a mass or a pair of masses back and forth along a line.

My theory is that changing the direction of the line along which these masses are traveling requires work.

I also wonder if a fly can stop rotating by starting up this back and forth motion. The two masses might alternate between moving toward each other and moving away from each other.

Whether I have the anatomy of a house fly right or not, I ask you to consider such mechanisms and whether they would work as I expect.

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian

Physics news on Phys.org
My theory is that changing the direction of the line along which these masses are traveling requires work.
Is this a personal theory or have you made some inquiries, say, of the literature to find out what is actually happening?

Most flying insects have two pairs of wings - flys have one.
Where you'd normally find the second pair, the fly has a pair of stubs called "halters".
They don't work the way you seem to be expecting, but it's hard to tell. iirc they provide a kind of gyroscopic stability but also act as sensitive turn-rate sensors.

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/insects/housefly2.htm
http://jesseenterprises.net/amsci/1960/04/1960-04-fs.html

There's a robot fly that uses the same principles.
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/408265/robotic-insect-takes-off/

1. What is "Back and Forth Massive Motion"?

"Back and Forth Massive Motion" is a type of movement where an object or organism moves back and forth repeatedly, typically in a straight line or along a specific path.

2. How does "Back and Forth Massive Motion" affect the stability of a flying object?

"Back and Forth Massive Motion" can increase the stability of a flying object by providing a steady and consistent force that counteracts turbulence or external disturbances.

3. Can "Back and Forth Massive Motion" be applied to all flying objects?

No, "Back and Forth Massive Motion" is most effective for larger and heavier flying objects, such as airplanes or birds, that have the mass and energy to sustain the motion.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using "Back and Forth Massive Motion" for stability in flight?

While "Back and Forth Massive Motion" can improve stability, it may also require additional energy and can limit maneuverability in certain situations.

5. How can "Back and Forth Massive Motion" be implemented in the design of flying objects?

"Back and Forth Massive Motion" can be incorporated into the design of flying objects by using mechanisms such as oscillating wings or flapping tails, or by strategically distributing weight along the body of the object.